Chainsaw neglect

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gark

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some people don't respect their saws. Cutting with a fellow homeowner recently, I noticed he was reefing the saw (powermac320) into the wood and making little progress through the wood. Bogged it, made smoke and sawdust.
That 'lil saw roared and busted its butt trying to cut wood for the guy. I felt sorry for the saw and wanted to holler at him but instead offered to take it home, sharpen the chain and do simple maintenance.
The chain was really dull (he had only this one chain), the bar and sprocket were HOSED and the air filter clogged. I dressed the bar and sharpened the chain. Next day's cutting he's delighted! The saw's owner knows neither how to remove the bar, clean the drivelink channel, adjust the chain or use a file.
My point: SOME PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAVE A CHAINSAW. He cut wood (best as it can), never cleans or sharpens it, throws it into the garage (forget about loosening the chain) until next time. IT's appalling.

Gark said:
Some people don't respect their saws. Cutting with a fellow homeowner recently, I noticed he was reefing the saw (powermac320) into the wood and making little progress through the wood. Bogged it, made smoke and sawdust.
That 'lil saw roared and busted its butt trying to cut wood for the guy. I felt sorry for the saw and wanted to holler at him but instead offered to take it home, sharpen the chain and do simple maintenance.
The chain was really dull (he had only this one chain), the bar and sprocket were HOSED and the air filter clogged. I dressed the bar and sharpened the chain. Next day's cutting he's delighted! The saw's owner knows neither how to remove the bar, clean the drivelink channel, adjust the chain or use a file.
My point: SOME PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAVE A CHAINSAW. He cut wood (best as it can), never cleans or sharpens it, throws it into the garage (forget about loosening the chain) until next time. IT's appalling.
Maybe you could educate him. Maybe not. Maybe he treats all his stuff this way and if he does he's a lost cause...but you gotta try anyway.

Bad maintance practices

Gark
I am familar with this situation.I moved to Tx a year ago. Several months a saw was running and I went out to investigate. A man drinking a brew while his Poulan sat on the ground smoking.I exchanged greetings and we talked about his saw.I asked if he had a sharp chain. No.But he did have several used ones. Plenty of meat left on these. I took thm home and hit them with a file.(I now have a grinder) Well he handed me a twenty and went into the house. I heard the saw again and went to see how he was doing. He was mad as hell. I looked at the saw and the chain was on Backwards.I firmly told him to get me a wrench. He popped open another brew.Piece of junk was his comment.I put the chain on the proper direction and adjusted the tension. I need some oil. He handedme a quart of Poulan bar oil. This was the first thing he had done correct.I filled it with mix and started it up. The automatic oiler was working.Give the saw another try.He set his brew down and went to work. This little Poulan was cutting like new. The Pecan tree was now well trimmed and the wood was neatly stacked by me.After the chore was completed he handed me a brew. We talked.
I tried to tell him that a saw should cut smoothly into the wood. If you have to put any amount of pressure on it something needs attention. Be it a simple chain adjustment or a light touch up.He was getting rather tipsy and I told him that all three chains were now sharp. It was a 14 inch bar and it took me only a short time so I was happy for the fee he paid.
What this all simmers down to is lack of knowledge. I have read everything that I can get my hands on reguarding sharpening. Read my last post, 1st day cutting in Texas.
This man thought he knew about sharpening.I did not want to make him look like a fool, but insted let him use my 028, and husky 55.I think that he has a new respect for a man that moved to Texas from NY. Ken

Gark said:

Chainsaws are people too. They have feelings just like the rest of us. Have you reported this guy to the SPCC? At least it hasn't been physically injured by falling trees or been mentally scarred by having a name like Brutus. It was good of you to take the poor thing in and shine it up a bit...you know, restore its sense of self-respect.;)

Last edited:
I can relate!

Hi guys I can relate to the saw stories. Just worked a pipe job where the laborers used an Echo (limbing saw) to cut plastic pipe. Know I have seen this before and they work great but after they cut the pipe they plunge cut the ground about 6-8 inches and wonder why it won't cut pipe. They had the chain so dull they would have been better off using it like an axe. I sat patiently for a few and then said how about a file and keep it out of the dirt and when I mentioned bar oil they laughed. I couldn't believe how it actually bothered me to watch this little saw be misused. Can't save them all!!! The Hoosier

Sharpen your chain!! It's a jungle out there!!!!!!!!

I did my High school senior project on that. The whole point was to write about a contaversial thing and I jknow so sure that If people were required to go through a class on how to operate a chainsaw; many would protest their freedom to purchace equipment. I can just imagin some one saying, "THATS LIKE SAYING WE CAN'T BUY AXES" some of those people tha have chainsawsa and don't take care of them are better off useing a ax and a hand saw. It would be safer for them. If they have a tree that needed trimming and required a chainsaw, they should hire a profesional to do it and save their green bins for grass clippings.

I hate it more when these kind of people wants to borrow your tools. And if it's your buddy, it's very hard to say no to him.

My FIL tells me his saw takes a long time to get through a log....I say OK, bring your chains up to me and Ill sharpen them. He says you can just look at it when you come down for Thanksgiving, I say OK.

Im not bad at freehand filing, but WOW, not on these chains. I cant believe they were cutting at all. I sure am glad that Oregon metal is so soft.

It also doesnt look like the bar is getting any oil, hole is probably plugged. Saw looks like it got a dip in bar oil and is now coated with sawdust....

And before you all flame me for not educating him, hes the kind that does not wish to be educated. Hes been doing it his way for so long thats all he knows. So its up to me to make sure the stuff he has works the way it should.

Gark said:
Some people neglect their wives and children the same way, but boy do they have fine looking chainsaws! The point is... a saw is just chattel and as such may be treated in any manner the owner chooses. Some people buy tools and equipment, use it, throw it aside and go out and buy a new one when they need it. I, personally take pride in the ownership of all my chattel and try to keep it all clean and well serviced. Some folks do a better job than others. For crying out loud, we don't need the government mandating us to be educated in the use and care of our chattels!

tools for a living

I am a home builder and I regularly see guys that need their tools to make a living treat them with a lack of respect.

I am amazed that folks would jeopardize a pay check for routine maintenance.

couple drops of oil in the nail guns-check oil in the compressor and generator-
oil in the backhoe- standard stuff that can be done bulls'ing with coffee in the morning. that in the long run will make you tons of $$$ instead of costing you $$$ when folks need to buy new stuff every 6 months to finish a job.

CaseyForrest said:
And before you all flame me for not educating him, hes the kind that does not wish to be educated. Hes been doing it his way for so long thats all he knows. So its up to me to make sure the stuff he has works the way it should.

Yup...sometimes its just better to do the saw work for them and keep peace in the family. My FIL is the same way. You couldn't ask for a better person but some things you just aren't going to change. :bang: :givebeer:

Yeah, I thought that most folks here knew similar horror stories. And no, it wouldn't be right to deny such users access to a saw because of their neglect. I over-reacted. I'll continue to show him "The care and feeding of saws" when I return his McCollough ProMac 700 (his BIG saw). Thanks to AS and so many great posts / replies, I know what to pass along regarding routine maintenance. As for the PM700, it has enough grunt to deserve a long happy life.

wood junky said:
I am a home builder and I regularly see guys that need their tools to make a living treat them with a lack of respect.

I am amazed that folks would jeopardize a pay check for routine maintenance.

couple drops of oil in the nail guns-check oil in the compressor and generator-
oil in the backhoe- standard stuff that can be done bulls'ing with coffee in the morning. that in the long run will make you tons of $$$ instead of costing you $$$ when folks need to buy new stuff every 6 months to finish a job.

I am suprised that some people don't take care of anything. I work with people who don't seem to care about anything they own. I can't believe the number of people who don't change the oil in their cars. I work with a guy that only changes the oil in his car once a year. He acts so suprised when his cars only last a few years and needs the engine replaced after 60,000 miles. This guy blames it on Ford, he claims they can't make a good product. I am a chevy man myself however, I know that any motor will have a shorter life if it is not cared for.

I learned years ago not to loan out a chainsaw. So, I don't. Never. Then, I don't know anyone I trust to treat 'em right. If it's an ancient neighbor or good friend, I'll loan out myself and the saw unless it's an enormous job.

Heck, gotta worry that, besides the saw, someone gonna cut off a leg with MY saw.

Sometimes, when it seems that someone doesn't care about inanimate objects or even their family or other people, the true source of the problem may be unknown.

There is documented evidence that out-of-balance mineral ratios in the human body contribute to this and other negative traits. This is something that occurs over time and so slowly that the individual may not even notice it, or those around them.

Without an accurate mineral analysis it will get worse, a trip to a general doctor or shrink will get symptoms treated by Rx and the problem will get even worse possibly life threatening. There are doctors who can properly interpret this information and help someone who wants to get everything back to normal, naturally it will take some time and dedication, even years to repair the damage.

Just another point of view.

Why do people refuse to maintain their equipment but somehow believe it should always work?:bang:
**RANT**My job reguarly has me using a chainsaw and out of the four of us who do in my office I'm the only one who gives a flip about keeping the maintenance up. My thought is if you do the maintenance you will find problems earlier, you know that the saw is ready to go day or night, and you don't look like an idiot when your miles from the truck with an expensive paper weight.
The maddest I ever got was when I and another employee took two saws that I had personally maintained the week before out to work on some exotic trees. When I got out to the site I pulled off one of the bar cover and found a dull, oily, sawdust caked chain, and a stripped out tensioner. It's one thing not to clean up a saw, but to break the saw and not telling anyone that's the lowest.:angry:
Ok I'm off the soapbox now.

A friend of mine works p/t at a local hardware store / small engine shop. He says the typical saw that comes in is a homeowner Sears Poulan that has sat for 3 years with fuel in the tank and has a chain that was never sharpened. And they wonder why it won't start or won't cut.

mbopp said:
A friend of mine works p/t at a local hardware store / small engine shop. He says the typical saw that comes in is a homeowner Sears Poulan that has sat for 3 years with fuel in the tank and has a chain that was never sharpened. And they wonder why it won't start or won't cut.

In my shop it is the same story. Or people think just because it has an 18" bar that it's a PRO saw and try to cut 3-4 cords a week with it. I see saws without bar oil, old motor oil in the bar, chains on backwards, chains so dull you couldn't cut your finger with the saw at WOT.

These are usually the people who holler because I tell them it can be fixed but it will cost more than a replacement saw. Like it's my fault that they never took care of it.

Had a D-Allis tractor in yesterday, no oil on the stick, put a rod down the hole and pull on 1/4" of what looked like roofing tar. Motor "won't start". Estimate is $1600. Haven't heard from the idgit but we'll see if he screams.

Puumies said:
I hate it more when these kind of people wants to borrow your tools. And if it's your buddy, it's very hard to say no to him.

If he needs it so bad, then tell him that you'll go out and help him with his task so he don't get hurt and you get you saw back the same day.
you know christmas is comming.

Latest posts

Back