Chainsaw Pull Cord Not Pulling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mass. Wine Guy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a pretty old Jonsered 535 saw that still cuts well. Today the pull cord wouldn’t pull out. After removing the spark plug the cord pulled fine.

I’ve read that this could mean that the exhaust system is plugged up. I pulled (what I think is) the muffler off the front. What do I do now? I’m not at all a skilled mechanic and don’t know what to look for or how to fix it. I’m grateful for any advice.

How about the rope is worn and binding itself on the spool? Still cuts well? Then there is no no need to pull the muffler. With the plug removed there is no resistance and the rope works as designed. A possible crack on the rope pully could be a cause but this is a long shot.

The round, horizontal thing I see when looking into the muffler opening? Looks smooth and shiny.
How about the rope is worn and binding itself on the spool? Still cuts well? Then there is no no need to pull the muffler. With the plug removed there is no resistance and the rope works as designed. A possible crack on the rope pully could be a cause but this is a long shot.

Maybe. But many YouTube videos suggest clogged exhaust if the cord pulls freely with the

Attachments

• IMG_2043.jpeg
    IMG_2043.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
piston looks good from what I can tell in the picture. How does it pull over with the exhaust off?

The cord won’t pull, even without the muffler. But does without the spark plug installed. Is this maybe an easy fix? I don’t want to spend a lot to take it in for repair.

I have a pretty old Jonsered 535 saw that still cuts well. Today the pull cord wouldn’t pull out. After removing the spark plug the cord pulled fine.

I’ve read that this could mean that the exhaust system is plugged up. I pulled (what I think is) the muffler off the front. What do I do now? I’m not at all a skilled mechanic and don’t know what to look for or how to fix it. I’m grateful for any advice.
Pull the recoil assembly, and re-build it? Its begging for service. The spark plug nonsense jostle simply bumped the stuck spool and it released.

What's the top of the piston and the spark plug look like? Is there so much carbon build up that the piston is contacting the plug?

With the starter cord assembly removed, can you turn the flywheel and therefore the piston by hand?

If so the problem lies with the cord, spring or assembly. Even some WD40 can help temporarily, but otherwise easy to repair or replace.

If not, the piston and cylinder needs disassembling and looking at.

At this stage, to diagnose the issue further, you need to get the cylinder and piston disassembled.

There could be something metal broken off and preventing smooth operation - a bit of broken piston ring, the needle bearing, crank, crank arm or circlip.

It could be lots of things but I’d suggest getting the cylinder off next.

At this stage, to diagnose the issue further, you need to get the cylinder and piston disassembled.

There could be something metal broken off and preventing smooth operation - a bit of broken piston ring, the needle bearing, crank, crank arm or circlip.

It could be lots of things but I’d suggest getting the cylinder off next.

Circlip? Of course. I have no idea how to take it apart To a shop it goes.

The plug is an NGK #BPMR7A

Latest posts

Back