Chainsaw Pull Cord Not Pulling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was asking you to back it out to make sure the plug was not contacting the top of the piston, not suggesting you run it that way
Ah! I don’t miss a thing.

It’s just very puzzling that it started well recently, hasn’t been operated since, then the cord doesn’t pull. But I know that anything can happen.

With the cord assembly off I was able to move the flywheel all around with some effort. The removed cord assembly itself moves freely. But only with the spark plug removed. I also backed the plug out one turn, but I’m not experienced enough to tell if it was hitting the piston.

With the cord assembly off I was able to move the flywheel all around with some effort. The removed cord assembly itself moves freely. But only with the spark plug removed. I also backed the plug out one turn, but I’m not experienced enough to tell if it was hitting the piston.
Does it pull with the plug 1 turn out ?

Will do.

Before going out to buy Wheaties and Geritol I tried backing out the plug a hair or two more. Cord pulled out and it started!

As we say at FedEx, I absolutely, positively could not have solved this without the help from everyone here.

THANK YOU!

Not everything is simple to everyone. Because some things should be simple doesn’t mean they always are. Like lots of people, I know how to operate a saw, but know little about diagnosing mechanical problems. I think it’s nothing short of fantastic that you and many here are good at it. I know how to do some things that you might not. But I wouldn’t put you down for not being able to do those things.

Have a great day!

Folks have truly tried to assist you. If you chose to cop sort of attitude that is your choice but that attitude will never fix the issue.

Your post of..................
Will do.

Before going out to buy Wheaties and Geritol I tried backing out the plug a hair or two more. Cord pulled out and it started!

As we say at FedEx, I absolutely, positively could not have solved this without the help from everyone here.

THANK YOU!
.........................did not fix the problem, it created another one

I don’t see anything in that post that hints of attitude. It was an unabashed thank you. The Wheaties reference was in response to someone saying I wasn’t pulling the cord hard enough and needed to eat some Wheaties. Could well have been true.

To everyone who helped me, I am sincerely and incredibly grateful to you.

Bill, if you are this ultra sensitive to things that aren’t occurring, you need to take some serious action.

So, you intend to run the saw with the plug loose? If so, that will end badly. You may have a clearance issue that needs to be resolved. Probably carbon buildup.

The cylinder should come off for inspection, as others have recommended.

If you absolutely can not take the cylinder off: Squirt some seafoam in the muffler hole with the saw upside down, and plug in. Leave overnight. Flush it out thru the plug hole a few times until the removed liquid is not black. You may want to do it right side up on the piston as well. Dump a little 2 stroke oil above and below the piston before firing up. Pull the cord slowly about 10 times, then start. Also check your carb settings and operation methods as you may be running rich and/or not at full throttle (fix the cause). Edit: check the plug gap. If the piston has been compressing the electrode it may have closed beyond spec.

Don't sweat the folks here. You've got to have a thick skin around lifetime loggers. :)

I should definitely take it to a shop. Thanks.

During summers in college I worked for the U.S. Forest Service fighting forest fires. Met and worked with lots of pros and rednecks.

Latest posts

Back