Chainsaw Pull Cord Not Pulling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When OP stated removing the plug was letting the engine turn, obviously it’s not a recoil problem (Why my 1st post I asked if he changed the plug). Loosening the plug was just checking for clearance (wrong heat range, long reach) nobody said anything about running it like that. Sure that would be obvious not to 🙄🙄🙄

Heres my take on the whole thread- for what its worth and that aint much.

A general lack of background and description of when and how the problem first showed up and anything that had happened previous to the non starting situation.
Non feasible remedies and a thoroughly weird set of circumstances leading to the problem disappearing.

I can see where Bill's frustrations stem from, but perhaps the blood pressure should have come down a bit before typing replies.

Now personally, I do not think the spark plug has much play in the story- if it ran before, ran after and the plug is still sparking and the piston is not holed.
Hopefully it is just a stray metallic object like a loose case bolt, made its way out of somewhere to end up behind the flywheel and jammed between it and case. Removing the plug, jostling the saw, dislodged the offender and saw rotated.
Put back together- the saw now runs, hopefully the foreign body stays somewhere safe- or it is likely to come back with vengeance at 9000RPM in the cut, with less than satisfactory end results.

But heck, maybe thats wrong too- photos and more thorough replies sure might have helped- but with what we had, all we can do is guess and speculate.

.....................................) nobody said anything about running it like that. Sure that would be obvious not to 🙄🙄🙄
The OP did.

Will do.

Before going out to buy Wheaties and Geritol I tried backing out the plug a hair or two more. Cord pulled out and it started!

As we say at FedEx, I absolutely, positively could not have solved this without the help from everyone here.

THANK YOU!

Alright already. If it helps to lessen any negative feelings, I plead guilty! To whatever. Not sure what. But to whatever.

The saw appears to be running ok now even when the spark plug is tight. Bob Hedgecutter probably guessed what happened.

Alright already. If it helps to lessen any negative feelings, I plead guilty! To whatever. Not sure what. But to whatever.

The saw appears to be running ok now even when the spark plug is tight. Bob Hedgecutter probably guessed what happened.
The problem is the issue is most likely to return and sadly may do so in a catastrophic way.

Mark it ZERO!

I’ll wait to be sad until that happens.
It’s only be since the 12th of never that the saw’s been in a shop. Might be time.
Well sometimes catastrophic failures are not about the saw they are about the safety of the operator and the folks around. This is a picture from 2008. That is me after a catastrophic failure running my piped Mac 125.

1695877344834.png

Exactly what happened? Thank god you were wearing chaps. Does piped mean modded to limit?
Piped means running an expansion chamber and yes modded. You can see the saw laying on the ground in the picture. It came apart of the up-cut

Pull the recoil assembly, and re-build it? Its begging for service. The spark plug nonsense jostle simply bumped the stuck spool and it released.
My last experience was to my GREAT surprise and issue/ solution where previous owner/ tech had assembled with flywheel keyway 1/4" away from the key, and wud NOT crank due to high compression when plug installed and cranked fine w/ plug removed. Putting back to proper position restored proper cranking and running.

Back