Chainsaw Recomendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machinistbcb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This has probably been asked several times already. I am looking for a recomendation for a chainsaw to be used to cut up my tree lenght firewood. I will probably cut up about 7 cords a year and most of the wood will be around 10" to 18" dia. I really don't want to spend any more than $200.00 dollars so I can't really afford anything fancy. Any help with brand, model, bar lenght, cc, etc... would be really helpfull.

Thanks for any help

Brian

$200.00 won't buy you much of a saw , the type of cutting you are talking about will set you back at the minimum $400.00 for a new saw , you might be lucky and find a good used saw on craigslist for $200.00

as far as recommendations , I have nothing for you

Last edited:
$200.00 won't buy you much of a saw , the type of cutting you are talking about will set you back at the minimum $400.00 for a new saw , you might be lucky and find a good used saw on craigslist for $200.00

as far as recommendations , I have nothing for you

Yep, you're probably going to have to go used to find anything decent for your needs. Look for an old Husky 61, 66, 266, 268, they're pretty common, cheap and will be just the saw you want. Make sure you know what you're getting before you buy- make a few cuts, maybe even pull the muffler and look into the cylinder for scoring. Make sure it has good compression and the oiler works also.

This has probably been asked several times already. I am looking for a recomendation for a chainsaw to be used to cut up my tree lenght firewood. I will probably cut up about 7 cords a year and most of the wood will be around 10" to 18" dia. I really don't want to spend any more than $200.00 dollars so I can't really afford anything fancy. Any help with brand, model, bar lenght, cc, etc... would be really helpfull.

Thanks for any help, Brian

Buy the cheapest Huskvarna you can find for under $200 and pray. Nothing else for that price will last more that a couple of years at that rate of usage. We live in a world of cheap plastic saws, so you could buy a couple for $100 or so at the borgs and use one per year until they both drop dead. Just a thought. :chainsaw:

I second a used quality saw. Just about anything new under $200 for what you plan on doing will be a waste of money. This question will bring a host of responses & opinions. Here's mine: Find a used older Stihl 024, 026, 028, 034, newer a MS250, 260, 310. These sizes will do what you described & properly taken care of will last 20+ years.
Husky, Dolmar(makita),Jonsred & Echo makes great saws, but i don't own any so i can't tell you what models to look for. Go downstairs in the "Chainsaw" forum & research & read.....there is tons of info there. Narrow it down to a couple of saws, then search Craigslist, local adds & pawnshops. The chainsaw classifides on this forum is also a good place to buy a used saw.
Beware, once bitten by the sawbug, life is much better!

RD

I shouldn't even say this but... what about the craftsman saws ??? also 16" r 18" bar ?

In 1984 i bought my first saw, a Stihl 024 super. My buddie bought a pretty good sized Craftsman. We lived 2 blocks from each other & both heated with wood. His saw started giving him fits the second year. Spent alot of time in the shop. By the 3rd year he gave up on it. My 024 is still going strong & one of my fav saws to grab. Just my limited experience with 'em.

RD

In 1984 i bought my first saw, a Stihl 024 super. My buddie bought a pretty good sized Craftsman. We lived 2 blocks from each other & both heated with wood. His saw started giving him fits the second year. Spent alot of time in the shop. By the 3rd year he gave up on it. My 024 is still going strong & one of my fav saws to grab. Just my limited experience with 'em.

RD

Amazing, I bought my first saw, an 024 in '84 also. It finally cracked the impulse line and seized in 2000. Some day I'll find a decent piston and cylinder and get it running again. I have to second your argument though, get good quality and it will last, even if you buy used. The bottom end Husky's and Stihl's aren't very good.
Dok

If you can clean a carburetor, you can often find deals in the paper or at pawn shops. Rich people get brain farts sometimes that they will save a few bucks and do something themselves...and gum up the carburetor or other such trifle. Speaking as an arborist of many years, I can tell you that the times we've had to pay retail for good saws like, Stihl, Jonsered, Echo and even the older homelites, are few and far between. Just got an old Homelite 925 in great shape a couple months ago for 75 bucks.

TS

One of my favorite saws ever is my Husky 141 with 16" bar, a genuine $200 Lowes special. Mine was made in Sweden and I hear that the new ones may not be which would be a major drawback. The narrow bar and a sharp chain have kept this saw in top form for several years.

Of course it is hard to go wrong with a used 024,026 or 028 Stihl and the same can be said a used Husky 50 or 55. Just my opinion mate

Last edited:
I will probably cut up about 7 cords a year and most of the wood will be around 10" to 18" dia. I really don't want to spend any more than $200.00 dollars so I can't really afford anything fancy. Any help with brand, model, bar lenght, cc, etc... would be really helpfull.

Thanks for any help

Brian

I know it's been said that you need to bump up your amount, but not much. I would recomend an MS-290/029 Stihl. You can get them used for 250.00, in a hard case with a 20" bar. That's what I would go with.

GM:greenchainsaw:

Thanks for any help

Brian

I'm all for setting a budget, but $200 is not a realistic amount for the amount of wood you plan on cutting.Buy a good saw, once, or buy a lesser saw many times.

For around 200 u can possibly get a used makita 6401 from HD rental when they sell them off.

I cut up around 4 full cords a year or so. I like the old McCullochs. I have a PM10-10 and two PM610 saws. Garage sale or Craigslist, $50 and under each. Can always get my wood cut; at least one always starts. If you go this route be prepared to rebuilt a carb or two 'cause the old saws you find have generally been sitting for awhile, often with old mix still in them.

Like the others, I agree that you'll likely get what you pay for at $200.

Can't speak to your situation, but if I was sans saw and needed one pronto, I'd go with the MS180 and keep an eye peeled on CL, etc. Most of what I run are yard sale finds in the free-$50 range. I like spending my summer Saturdays cruising for sales, so this is part of my routine. Eventually you'll get lucky if you're persistent.

Latest posts

Back