chainsaw recommendation to replace echo cs-440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lezurk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Oops, I posted this in another section but should probably have posted here....I have ten acres of land of which 4 acres are wooded and I have owned for the last ten years and have been in the process of thinning out undesirable trees, cutting some down for firewood to release more desirable trees, and pruning, such as removing narrow crotches, to achieve better tree form. I also cut up firewood from other local sources. I go through 6-7 face cords a year for heating. My main saw for ten years has been an Echo CS-440 until last week when it finally gave up the ghost and upon disassembly found a badly scored piston and frozen piston rings. Cylinder has some moderate scoring, minor above the ports. To my surprise I found that rebuilding this saw is prohibitively expensive as there are no aftermarket parts for it. So what would members of this board recommend as a replacement saw in the 50cc range and being on a budget – I am retired – I am probably looking at a used saw, but one that is very re-buildable. I am leaning towards Husky as there seems to be a lot of them on EBay, unless a Stihl comes up at a good price. Recommend

Reliable as a hammer, simple to work on, plenty of easy to get parts both OEM and aftermarket, Stihl 028, 026, MS260 and the above mentioned MS 261. You don`t have to break the bank to own a reliable long living saw.

Oops, I posted this in another section but should probably have posted here....I have ten acres of land of which 4 acres are wooded and I have owned for the last ten years and have been in the process of thinning out undesirable trees, cutting some down for firewood to release more desirable trees, and pruning, such as removing narrow crotches, to achieve better tree form. I also cut up firewood from other local sources. I go through 6-7 face cords a year for heating. My main saw for ten years has been an Echo CS-440 until last week when it finally gave up the ghost and upon disassembly found a badly scored piston and frozen piston rings. Cylinder has some moderate scoring, minor above the ports. To my surprise I found that rebuilding this saw is prohibitively expensive as there are no aftermarket parts for it. So what would members of this board recommend as a replacement saw in the 50cc range and being on a budget – I am retired – I am probably looking at a used saw, but one that is very re-buildable. I am leaning towards Husky as there seems to be a lot of them on EBay, unless a Stihl comes up at a good price. Recommend

Why not look into another echo?

An echo cs490 would be very comparable to the 440, about the same weight. Should provide many years of service.

Deals can be found on eBay around 200" or go into the store and get a new one around 300$. Rebuild parts are oem only, but comparable to oem stihl/husky price.

Husqvarna 350, is a cheap saw to get into/rebuild. Husqvarna 55 is a good candidate too those can be found really cheap. May be a big heavier than the others though.

026 are a dandy 50cc saw, tend to hold a higher purchase price.

If you check the Echo site for their customer appreciation sale and find a local participating dealer you can get a CS-490 for $275.

My personal favorite saw is a Husky 346XP NE. It is 50CC, but has been replaced by the XP550, which I have had no experience with. A lot of guys look down their noses at Echo, but every Echo product I own starts easily & runs great.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the parts layout of the Echo CS-490 and it does have a more repair friendly layout in regards to the cylinder. And at 10.6 pounds, not bad! I will also look at the other models recommended, especially the Stihl.

Having the CS-440 crap out has taught me a LOT about chainsaws after doing a lot of research on repairing the thing. Clamshell construction. Almost sounds like VD.

Having the CS-440 crap out has taught me a LOT about chainsaws after doing a lot of research on repairing the thing. Clamshell construction. Almost sounds like VD.

LOL, you don't want any of that haha.

I have always said that it's better to buy a pro series saw even if you don't need it, because you can more than likely rebuild it down the road where the homeowner/ranch saws are more or less throw aways.

Red97 I am going to wait and see what comes up as far as parts for the saw, namely either a short block, pistons, or cylinder and use the saw as a back up saw. I might try lightly honing the cylinder with a 320 flex hone to see if I can get more use out of it, but that might be throwing money away which could be spent on a short block. The saw has a new bar, chain, and spur gear and other than a few nicks and dings from almost ten years of use is in fair shape. I don't need the bigger saw for a couple of months, and my CS-306 is more than adequate for cutting up small limbs from my spring tree pruning chores - which have been removed using an Echo power pruner (forgot the model, bought it 6 years ago) I do have experience with two strokes - I raced a Yamaha RD350 back in the day. The bike had a TZ350 crank and rods in it. Thing was a gas to ride!

My Echo 440 is a clamshell design engine, but the case it is attached to is metal - don't know what type, but it is very light. I am guessing some type of alloy. engine is attached from the top of the case using allen screws. Did case material change in later years? The serial number tag is illegible - made in Japan. I am going to have to go to the local dealership in Toledo, Illinois where I bought the saw almost a decade ago and look up the records as to the serial number of the saw.

Echo CS-490

Ok, did my homework and the Echo 490 really seems to be a great bang for the buck as it appears to be a pro quality saw at a great price. I didn’t expect that. I went to echo’s website and there is a one day customer appreciation sale in Arthur Illinois on the 16th of this month. I will ask my local dealer in Toledo Illinois if a customer appreciation day is planned for their store in the future as I would prefer to buy from them. I checked the cylinder on the CS-440 – too far gone to save s it has a couple of deep grooves. I will check this board and Ebay often to see if a short block shows up as I would really like to have a backup saw to share the load. I have read that the motor from a CS-520 will fit in the CS-440 frame. Is this true? Oh yeah, checked the model number on my pole pruner – it is a PPT-266. I actually chose it over the Stihl. Great saw and has been seeing lots of work the last couple of weeks of spring tree pruning.

I got my cs 490 reconed for 261 at depot.... and a cs 400 for about 227.....reconed ...checked the pistons they were good been running them hard.... the cs 490 is much much more easy to mod....

I too am a big fan of the CS 490......when comparing money.

Latest posts

Back