Chainsaw Safety Questions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledrat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok Getting lost in all these beautiful old wood slaying machines,,
I forget that all of them are some serious DANGER if used wrong!
From the mini Mac to OLD bush monster Pioneers..they all can hurt you and bad from what i gather,,

lol Man oh man any advise to the noob like myself out here drooling over the saws
any advise to keep us from getting hurt or worse disabled for life???

If you found a GOOD youtube vid that you think is good for a noob to watch and learn from please post a link to it or try to explain it..
This might help me or someone else thats going out in the bush and acting like hero with a saw from getting wounded bad.

Safety gear check list?

Ok first whats the most important thing to consider when cutting wood?

How can a noob avoid kick back?

How a noober is to fell a tree properly?

How to properly cut the tree up on ground after its down??

The does and donts of the chainsaw??

heres a vid i thought was good but still not enough info..

But again to the seasoned woodsmens here

please post your thoughts and advise on this or the rules you live by when using the PoWERsaws in the bush?....

and any help is appreciated thankyou

thanks sledrat

[video=youtube;7XigBd_9oqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XigBd_9oqc[/video]

Here is a good paper. Read it when I first started.

http://http://www.survivalprimer.com/Homestead/Logging_Felling_&Bucking.pdf

Good OSHA resources. Click on the blue links too to get to other pages

Logging eTool: Manual Operations - Limbing and Bucking

Maybe a repeat but more info I think.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/18886/ec1124.pdf

Good videos on youtube also. Along with videos of idiots that will kill themselves soon. When you can really tell the difference then you might be ready to cut down a tree LOL. Seriously some of the videos are scarry.

Get chainsaw chaps, gloves, steel toe boots, hearing protection with helmet and face sheild. I don't use the hearing protection when felling though so I can "hear" the tree when it pops and cracks. If you want to go full on a forest jacket with upper torso protection. I want one from Husqvarna just because I like the looks of them. Then my wife can call me an even bigger chainsaw dork.

Chains on modern day saws run 65-72 feet per second. That's a lot of skin if you're not wearing chaps.

Don't work when tired, rest when fatigued. That's when most of the accidents occur from what I've read.

Work slowly espectially when you're not sure.

Get help from a friend or ask on here, when you don't know something or aren't sure. Use the search function on here and use Google to search this site also. It's crazy how much knowledge is here and the number of great people that will help you if you are honestly seeking to improve and do things properly.

Last edited:
The Husqvarna video thing you linked to is good. There are a number of other good ones on YouTube; most are European, some aren't in English. Most of the USA-based videos detailing safe and proper use are rubbish.

Although there are risks everytime you're cutting, I think the greatest risk is when felling - especially when you get to 18 inch or greater Diameter Breast Height (DBH), so the only additionally item I would suggest are a couple of wedges. Not usually thought of as safety related, but I won't fell without having them in my back pocket.

Plus Can't emphasize what BigDaddy states enough rest when fatigued - it's usually the "only a couple more cuts then I'm done" attitude where trouble happens.

Ya exactly good point

KenJax Tree

In order to prevent kick back you need to understand what causes it.

ya been trying to find a decent kick video explaining it abit better or better yet showing it how it happens and when it happens more and why ect..

So far nothing great on why it happens i think thats probly the worst beside being in the way getting smashed by a falling tree!!

how about chains snapping i bet if your around saws alot it has to happen...

A saw is a wonderful thing but should be treated seriously like someelse said a loaded weapon!

Here is a good video ......... Kickback info @ 15:43

[video=youtube;UamFWzb7ufE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UamFWzb7ufE[/video]

Ya exactly good point

ya been trying to find a decent kick video explaining it abit better or better yet showing it how it happens and when it happens more and why ect..

So far nothing great on why it happens i think thats probly the worst beside being in the way getting smashed by a falling tree!!

how about chains snapping i bet if your around saws alot it has to happen...

A saw is a wonderful thing but should be treated seriously like someelse said a loaded weapon!

Kickback is also explained in the documents I provided a link for. They take a look at the whole process of cutting and are a great place to start. Page 11 covers kickback. If it's too much trouble to read and wait for someone to provide you with a video then maybe you aren't as concerned about safety as I thought. Or maybe just a victim of a generation of give it to me nowers.

Same thing as other hotrods..just because someone can afford some high performance car, truck or bike or whatever, doesnt mean they should immediately go out and drive it real fast.

Money is no substitute for humble experience, proper training, practice and learning your own personal limits and staying below that threshold..

Start small and easy and work your way up in saws and cutting situations.

Well hi there Bigdaddy no offence to you or your link it has great info and i will look at carefully to ..
But some are visual learners such as myself ,
When i can see the cause and reaction before my eyes say in video that sinks in more FOR ME..
Because i know exactly when on AT the tip of the saw the Kick back starts or why it happens
so then i know what to avoid ..
but your completely right this generation including myself should slow right down and look at all info provided ,also slow down when say using the saw .
thanks for your link it will be useful to me and others and it will make me better and safer with the saw,,

Further more the whole point of me creating this thread to learn and see others views whom have more wisdom about chainsaw safety than i..

I TAKE SAFETY VERY SERIOUSLY VERY!

Someone once said Wisdom is not learnt by books but by cutting a 200 ft tree and living to tell about it :) but shortly after heard a small tree got him so???,,

And politeness and respect well can be used and learnt by all generations
but many young and old dont do it.
either so? ...

But again thanks for your link i will read it over and use it
and what im getting from your above comment is
SLOW IT DOWN,,
which is advise and i will listen to
When im out next time im using the saw
thanks,,

AND THANks J_ARENA Completely awsome video post
and perfect kick back demo!

Thanks man!

A++++

Last edited:
Here is a good video ......... Kickback info @ 15:43

[video=youtube;UamFWzb7ufE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UamFWzb7ufE[/video]

Yeah I watched this video, it show kick back in slow mo, I always thought it was just the recoil, but it's actually the chain grabbing and riding back.

zogger put it pretty straight! Don't get a 6 cube monster and start out cutting your first tree! start out at the smaller end of things, 45-55cc, and get familiar with a saw, so you will have a reasonable idea what to expect in certain situations, then work your way up as need/budget allows. Always have wedges when felling, learn to use them, and if you are bucking large dia. logs especially on uneven ground, be aware of the effects of gravity, wood under tension, etc. Get comfortable cutting with the bottom side of the bar as well s the top side. know where the bar tip is at all times! Know where your toes are at all times. (I have passed the bar tip across more than one pair of boots). Proper PPE! If you have any doubt about what you are about to do, don't do it! A saw is like fire, it can be your best friend when controlled, but uncontrolled, it will kill you faster than you can imagine!

Welcome, you'll have 15 saws before you know it! What are your sawing needs? If you just need to clear some land and aren't Lookin to make a living with a saw, I'd pick up something sub-40 cc's with a 16 inch or shorter bar, and the "safety" chain to reduce kickback. This is not a substitute for common sense, but there is almost no way no matter how many videos you watch, or safety threads you read that you won't have a kickback scare when u'r starting out. Best to be with something you can control. PPE has been covered. You've got a great attitude for safety and for AS as well! Good luck

Welcome, you'll have 15 saws before you know it! What are your sawing needs? If you just need to clear some land and aren't Lookin to make a living with a saw, I'd pick up something sub-40 cc's with a 16 inch or shorter bar, and the "safety" chain to reduce kickback. This is not a substitute for common sense, but there is almost no way no matter how many videos you watch, or safety threads you read that you won't have a kickback scare when u'r starting out. Best to be with something you can control. PPE has been covered. You've got a great attitude for safety and for AS as well! Good luck

Right on man now thats good common sound advise about what a guy really needs in a saw when starting out!

keeping it real!

that right there will save one alot of hospital bills once day if followed!

thank you
keep the advice coming super stuff here!

Well hi there Bigdaddy no offence to you or your link it has great info and i will look at carefully to ..
But some are visual learners such as myself ,
When i can see the cause and reaction before my eyes say in video that sinks in more FOR ME..
Because i know exactly when on AT the tip of the saw the Kick back starts or why it happens
so then i know what to avoid ..

I am a visual learner also. I also learn a great deal by reading before I do and research. It has saved me from getting into some bad situations.

but your completely right this generation including myself should slow right down and look at all info provided ,also slow down when say using the saw .
thanks for your link it will be useful to me and others and it will make me better and safer with the saw,,

Further more the whole point of me creating this thread to learn and see others views whom have more wisdom about chainsaw safety than i..

I TAKE SAFETY VERY SERIOUSLY VERY!

Me too.

Someone once said Wisdom is not learnt by books but by cutting a 200 ft tree and living to tell about it :) but shortly after heard a small tree got him so???,,

I learned how to cut down a tree from reading period and then videos, and reading, then videos, then watching someone else in person. Not any 200' trees around here. I graduated from a 20' 15" tree at first to my latest 75' 40+" diameter leaner. Many steps in between.

And politeness and respect well can be used and learnt by all generations
but many young and old dont do it.
either so? ...

I agree and did not intend at all to be rude. Seems to me in a time with Google around a quick search on videos on chainsaw kickback would yeild quite a few so to continue to ask others seems to snub any help you've been given and kind of say, "Hey make it really easy for me." I probably got it wrong as I was dead tired today and grumpy at work.

But again thanks for your link i will read it over and use it
and what im getting from your above comment is
SLOW IT DOWN,,
which is advise and i will listen to
When im out next time im using the saw
thanks,,

I'm glad you heard that. I have to slow myself down all the time and saw a lot of myself in your enthusiasm.

AND THANks J_ARENA Completely awsome video post
and perfect kick back demo!

Thanks man!

A++++

I agree with the others, start with a smaller saw and work your way up. What type of cutting do you need or want to do? That will determine a lot of what you will need as far as equipment and knowledge.

I look forward to seeing your first tree bucked up. Nothing wrong with starting with trees that are already down. I started with a bunch of those first. Dead and down takes the danger of felling out of it and gets wood to the hearth faster.

. . . Man oh man any advise to the noob like myself out here drooling over the saws
any advise to keep us from getting hurt or worse disabled for life??? . . .

Safety gear check list?

Ok first whats the most important thing to consider when cutting wood?

How can a noob avoid kick back?

How a noober is to fell a tree properly?

How to properly cut the tree up on ground after its down??

The does and donts of the chainsaw??

But some are visual learners such as myself , . .

It's good that you are looking at and asking safety questions. But that's a long list to pick up from videos. Or Books.
I help to teach volunteers doing storm cleanup, and I think that the hands-on part is very important. Finding someone to teach/show/guide you in person would be very helpful - lots of things that you can't put into words, or that you can interpret in different ways.

And these are different topics. I feel comfortable teaching chainsaw safety and cutting up stuff on the ground, but would not teach people how to fall any but the smallest trees. It can take a while, and some experience, to learn this stuff, so start off with small bites.

P.S. - I like BigDaddyR's list, but please add safety glasses. And don't work alone. Lots of experienced guys found in the woods days later, after getting hit by a branch falling from somewhere.

Another good written reference from USFS:

ftp://ftp-fc.sc.egov.usda.gov/ID/snow/safety/resources/usfs_chainsaw_student_guide.pdf

Philbert

The greatest safety gear you can have sits on top of your shoulders. Use you brain and think things through. Chainsaws are not video games, if you screw up you may not get a do over. I am not telling you to be terrified, but you better respect the saw and the wood your cutting, approach things with caution and thoughtfulness. Sounds like you are on the right track with all the advise given thus far. Read, watch and learn. cutting and felling trees is a great experience but you cannot become complacent or cocky.

zogger put it pretty straight! Don't get a 6 cube monster and start out cutting your first tree! start out at the smaller end of things, 45-55cc, and get familiar with a saw, so you will have a reasonable idea what to expect in certain situations, then work your way up as need/budget allows. Always have wedges when felling, learn to use them, and if you are bucking large dia. logs especially on uneven ground, be aware of the effects of gravity, wood under tension, etc. Get comfortable cutting with the bottom side of the bar as well s the top side. know where the bar tip is at all times! Know where your toes are at all times. (I have passed the bar tip across more than one pair of boots). Proper PPE! If you have any doubt about what you are about to do, don't do it! A saw is like fire, it can be your best friend when controlled, but uncontrolled, it will kill you faster than you can imagine!

That whole post is the gospel. The first saw I used was a Mac 35 which I do not suggest learning on, although it was a humbling learning curve.:hmm3grin2orange: The first saw I bought was a 46cc Craftsman/Poulan at the ripe age of 12. I cut a lot of firewood with that little saw, (I'm 31 now) and it sill runs. It taught me a lot about the principles of chainsaw operation and safety practices. I don't regret it a bit. Don't get me wrong I love the other saws in my signature line, especially my little Stihl and my Stumpbroke Husky, and dearly miss my saws that burned up awhile back (Stihl 039, MS660, Husky 346xp and 55) as they were and are wonderful tools. I just wouldn't have wanted to start with any of them, save for maybe the 55 Husky. Start small and light and work from there.

I will also vote for having a cutting buddy, or preferably mentor as accidents happen to the best of us. What's the old saying - "there's 2 types of motorcycle riders: those who have gone down and those that will". I don't know if you have any family or friends who re legitimately experienced cutters, but if you do, learn with them and tap into their experience. I always cut with either my Father, brother or best friend. It's fun, quality bonding time and a wonderful reprieve from the Boss' when it's the wrong time of the month. :help:

It's been a wonderful hobby, an occasional source of pocket change and a major source of heating savings for me, but every time I cut, it's just like when I ride, I get my game face on, horsing around stops, and I keep my ears and eyes on a swivel. That's the only way to stay alive and hopefully unscathed. The other but of advice I would give is learn how to file a chain properly and if/when you can swing it, buy a good filing guide. A sharp chain is a hell of a safety device and a dull one is a hell of a liability, not to mention hard on your chain, saw and fuel consumption.

Thanks for all the info guys!!! been checking it all out, I have been in unsafe conditions with others sawing (joplin tornado had some scary stuff)
and me too glad to learn more to keep myself in one peice!!!:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Back