Chainsaw used to collect fishing worms?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuck357

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was getting ready to cut some stumps near ground level and had cleared the area and fired up the saw when I noticed a rock that I had missed. I set the idling saw on the cleared spot and dug out the rock when I went to pick up the saw there were earthworms almost jumping out of the ground around the saw. Apparently the vibrations bothered them. Anyone use saws to bring worms up?

Worm "charming" has been around for generations, but is becoming a lost art, so they say. Vanderbilt University did research on " worm charming" and concluded that vibrations from "charming" are similar to moles searching for earthworms, which causes them to surface and escape being eaten. Quite a few species of birds tap their feet, which is called the "seagull dance", to bring worms to the surface. Ever notice how a robin runs quickly across the ground, then stops suddenly? He's "worm charming". And yes, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.:D

I was getting ready to cut some stumps near ground level and had cleared the area and fired up the saw when I noticed a rock that I had missed. I set the idling saw on the cleared spot and dug out the rock when I went to pick up the saw there were earthworms almost jumping out of the ground around the saw. Apparently the vibrations bothered them. Anyone use saws to bring worms up?

Here in the Southeast (and in other areas I'm sure) we have a very large worm called a "Fiddle Worm". They can be 8"-10" long or longer. Because of their size and toughness they are especially prized as a catfish bait. I have seen chainsaws bring them up several times, but the most common method of catching them is fiddling (aka charming). I have "fiddled up" bucket loads of them by cutting a thumb sized sapling off about 2'-3' feet off the ground, and then using a hand saw to saw across the top of the sapling (like you are trying to saw it in two lengthwise). If you pick the right spot the fiddle worms will appear for several feet around the fiddle tree.

Here in the Southeast (and in other areas I'm sure) we have a very large worm called a "Fiddle Worm". They can be 8"-10" long or longer. Because of their size and toughness they are especially prized as a catfish bait. I have seen chainsaws bring them up several times, but the most common method of catching them is fiddling (aka charming). I have "fiddled up" bucket loads of them by cutting a thumb sized sapling off about 2'-3' feet off the ground, and then using a hand saw to saw across the top of the sapling (like you are trying to saw it in two lengthwise). If you pick the right spot the fiddle worms will appear for several feet around the fiddle tree.

Never heard of that, pretty interesting!

When I was a kid we would stick a shovel blade in the dirt and shake vigorously in places all over the yard and get handfuls of them.

Latest posts

Back