Chainsaw vs. Tachyon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got my new 150' Tachyon climbing line with a spliced eye the other day. I was on my second of three takedowns today when I called for another rope only to look down and see my dad holding mine in pieces. I shed a few tears and had a moment of silence then back to work.

It was a $150 piece so he gave me $75 towards a new one and I kept the now 60' w/splice and 90' pieces. This is the first time one of my ropes has been cut square in half.

Not all bad, I get another and now I have some to play around with splicing and make a short line out of and a lanyard. I thought I had er' by the balls today, my second tree on my new line, self tailing through the Spiderjack like butter, only to be destroyed. That's how it goes.

DSCN3207.jpg

Do you find the rope easy to see? I've never used any green rope, but it seems like a bad color for tree work.

This stuff is bright and easy to spot. It has that yellow in it that really helps.

I have never had a green one either and really liked it because it stood out from all my other gear.

It was burried under White Pine limbs when it got hammered. I guess my dad saw it go one way so he assumed that's where it was when actually it turned and came right back under him. We all know it's the ground man's job to be on top of that stuff.

At least I wasn't dealing with some incompetent drunk, pothead who wouldn't have the balls to make it right. I think him paying 1/2 of the cost of a new one and I keep the old one is fair. If anything it will stimulate the markets again, lol.

At least I wasn't dealing with some incompetent drunk, pothead who wouldn't have the balls to make it right.

Nails, glad things worked out. Are you using a prusik cord with the Tachyon? If so, which one and how has that worked out for you? The drunk/pothead would have put the rope through the chipper. I think I'll buy the orange Tachyon.

Glad your working with someone who does the right thing and it has to be a pleasure not working with drunks potheads. Good looking rope btw.

Sorry to hear that Nails. I've done the same thing twice myself, and both times as 'sods' law would have it the rope was nearly new. I was about to change position and thought my rope feels light, and the rest was in a nice pile at the base of the tree.

What a good egg your old man is. My old man could take some lessons from yours LOL!

Nails, glad things worked out. Are you using a prusik cord with the Tachyon? If so, which one and how has that worked out for you? The drunk/pothead would have put the rope through the chipper. I think I'll buy the orange Tachyon.

I am using a Spiderjack. It almost makes climbing too easy.

I will use some 8mm Beeline with an Icicle hitch for my new short climbing lines. Haven't tried it yet on the Tachyon, but I'm sure it will work.

Sorry to hear that Nails. I've done the same thing twice myself, and both times as 'sods' law would have it the rope was nearly new. I was about to change position and thought my rope feels light, and the rest was in a nice pile at the base of the tree.

What a good egg your old man is. My old man could take some lessons from yours LOL!

Yep, that's how it went. It was another live and learn step for me. We've cut ropes, as most have, but never a brand new one all the way through.

I appreciate your comment about my dad. He is an honest, hard working family man.

Everyone has it happen every once and a while. My last one happened when I dropped my medium saw onto the lanyard and broke the shock mounts. The saw ran away and shredded my climbing line, which was a few months old.

I will often price a bull rope into a big removal, assuming that it will get burned on big wood.

You will find that the 60 footer will be used quite often on short trees. I will often use one on large removals that I need to move around in the canopy a lot. I may not be able to exit fast, but I do not have to pull all that rope around in the tree.

I had a 90 ft as trim on Thursday, with an oak removal under it. I was able to set my ropes in the ash and descend into the oak, which had a near parallel ground sweep, and major trunk decay. The tail of the 200 ft climbing line was a PITA to manage in the crown of the ash.

I am going to splice the 90' and I have another 150' on the way. That'll give me 60', 90' and 150' 11mm climbing lines with tight splices.

The line I used the most before was 95'. It was 120' but got nicked on the end and I cut a lanyard out of it.

I am going to splice the 90' and I have another 150' on the way. That'll give me 60', 90' and 150' 11mm climbing lines with tight splices.

The line I used the most before was 95'. It was 120' but got nicked on the end and I cut a lanyard out of it.

You're splicing yourself nails? I wanna see the results. I'm really interested in learning how to do that stuff.

I got a little book on it myself just gotta get a few tools and time.

I am using a Spiderjack. It almost makes climbing too easy.

I will use some 8mm Beeline with an Icicle hitch for my new short climbing lines. Haven't tried it yet on the Tachyon, but I'm sure it will work.

Beeline: ok. Spiderjack: at $475.00 it must shoot you right up into the tree!Somebody needs to post a video of that thing in action.

Nails, So you've been getting some time in on the spiderjack. How is it? Is it the spider2? Come on tell us What's it liiiiike? :drool:

Tom, I am looking for a cord to plug my Video camera to the computer so I can make a video of it. I will make one when I get to it.

Ricky, it is the Spiderjack 2 and I climb with it all the time now. I run it one handed or two, left or right. It takes a little time to get used to, but I was a natural I guess, cause after a few jobs I felt like one with it. I would say left hand operation is the hardest, but doable. It will adjust for infinite descent speeds and self tail on ascent, so what's not to love?:heart:

Nails. Looking forward to your venture into video.

Rickytree, 325 is whittling the price down a little. Thanks.

Back