Chainsaw work vise on the cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd post a few pics of the start of my saw vice. I've wanted one for a while but not willing to spend big dollars on the 'manipulator' for lack of a better term. There's probably a few more of you in the same place.
I found a couple of ideas online. Monsterball makes a cool product. I couldn't find pricing but it looks out of my range.
http://www.monsterballvise.com/

I also found a pretty good homemade idea.

All of these would need a simple fabrication added so you could attach a saw to the manipulator. Both will work with a bowling ball. Here's what I ended up coming up with. Kind of a mix between them both.

All areas with white ink will be removed.

20151126_223406.jpg
When the white material is removed I'll be able to rotate it up.

20151126_223455.jpg

I have nuts above and below each rotor. 4 nuts on the two pieces of rod closest to the edge of the table. I'm short one nut. Ha! These rods should not have to be adjusted in the future. Bottom nut keeps the threaded rod from spinning. Lower nut on top rotor sets the height of upper rotor which limits the pressure on ball. This important. The back threaded rod is for tightening. About 1/2 of a turn and it clamps tight!

20151126_223604.jpg

I'm going to connect stuff with the coupler. I'll weld the yellow angle to another piece of 3/4" threaded rod.

20151126_223831.jpg

I have about $25 into it. Rotors are off my car. The grey base was picked out of the scrap bin at work. 4x10" by 3/8" wall. It's a great ballast. I tapped a couple of holes in it and used 1/4" bolts to attach it to the rotor. Holes in the rotor were already there. $12 into threaded rod and nuts and $5 for the bowling ball on kijiji. The coupler was about $8.

I need access to a lathe to finish it off!

That's going to be a real large lathe....... a cutoff wheel in a small grinder would work for you.

Great way to modify that video idea!!!!

Interesting project D, it might be a tad on the heavy side but if its bolted to a bench then the weight won`t matter. Do you think the slot cut through the whole rotor is really necessary? I made a holding fixture a few years back and have used it a lot, never had a need so far for a slot cut out to tip the holder down that far. Just asking for curiosity sake...:)

That's going to be a real large lathe....... a cutoff wheel in a small grinder would work for you.

You're bang on. I did my homework today. The guys I know with lathes can't handle a 12 inch diameter. I'll give it a try with the grinder. I was really looking forward to the nice finish from the lathe. Round is nice too.

Interesting project D, it might be a tad on the heavy side but if its bolted to a bench then the weight won`t matter. Do you think the slot cut through the whole rotor is really necessary? I made a holding fixture a few years back and have used it a lot, never had a need so far for a slot cut out to tip the holder down that far. Just asking for curiosity sake...:)

Hey Jerry. It's definitely heavy. Probably 60-70 lbs. Its still light enough to move around though. I don't intend to have it on my bench unless I'm using it.
Here's my reasoning. Subject to change without notice. :) The 4 inch high base is heavy enough that I won't have to bolt it down. There will be no excuse not to move it to keep my bench clear.
The combination of the 4 inch spacer and the cut rotor looks like it puts the saw at a great height for working on if I'm perched on a stool. Who knows if I'll use it that way. If I don't I'll call the cutout a weight savings.

I know my South Bend won't turn it and it is a 9" swing

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 38
I like this idea
What holds the threaded rod in the bowling ball is it just threaded in epoxy I have never worked with one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

So those metal tags on your wall what are they from? I can only see something that ends in type.

20151128_084956.jpg

They are the tags off an old linotype print setting machine. My grandfather retired from a newspaper in 1990 or so. I wish I would have asked him more about his work before he passed in 1995. He set type there for about 40 yrs. At some point they scrapped the old linotype machines after moving to newer technology. He pulled the tags and kept them in his shop. I noticed them when we were cleaning up the house to sell in 2013. They mean a lot to me. Hopefully they end up in my 4 yr old's shop one day. Here's a video of it in action.

What holds the threaded rod in the bowling ball is it just threaded in epoxy I have never worked with one

Yep. I drilled a hole with an auger bit. I'm going to use PL9000 construction adhesive. The ball drilled pretty easily.

Been collecting stuff since I was 9 or 10 years old.
Working on a few more .....................

Back