chainsaws in Peru

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did go there and took the pictures in a store. The first ones are Chinese the are direct copies of the stihl. They told me the parts interchange. The others are current production stihl.

The first pic is the Chinese 070 knock-off

The Stihl 070 is made in Germany for SA/Asia, and the 051 is made in Brazil.

Last edited:
You should see the trees

I spent some time in Peru way back in the jungle. In fact we were so far into the jungle that they had to pump air back there, or so it seemed. I was about 90 miles from Iquitoes which is the largest city in the world that you can't get to by vehicle. Access is only by airplane, or coming up the Amazon from the Atlantic aprox. 3000 miles. Anyway the trees are huge, I saw some that I believe were over 10 feet across, much more at the root base. Some of the stumps from long ago logging were even bigger. Most of the wood is very hard, mostly mahogany, and it is heavy. I saw some logging going on, but not much from the river, it is now mostly back away from the river. I was on a tributary of the Amazon called the Tahuayo, and went up the river as far as possible before it got to narrow to turn the boat around. Had to lay in the bottom of the boat in order to get under several logs which had fallen across the river, they were 2-3 footers and the guide couldn't cut them with a machete. It would take a real grunter of a saw to fell the trees I saw, but it had obviously been done in areas, and long ago to.

I'll take an 070 please. I'll pay extra for you to ship it in parts so as to not arouse suspicion.:cheers:

The first pic is the Chinese 070 knock-off

The Stihl 070 is made in Germany for SA/Asia, and the 051 is made in Brazil.

You got it right, and it is old knowledge, even the 08S is still made, and the 076, if memory serves......

The real 070s are sold in Mexico, as well as in SE Asia.....

Last edited:
Does any one know how much an 070 retails for in Mexico?
What are the legalities of bringing one into the US?

Back