Chainsaws you had to use and didn't like.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Stihl 012 AVP. A most awkward unbalanced saw, it's not a top handle nor a rear handle.

Yes. BTDT with my SXL-AO cutting with guys that had those Stihls. Also ran those stihls myself. You mentioned SXL's in your "would cut circles around" statement. Now you say the 290 isn't a huge leap ahead of these Macs and Homelites? Then what does "cut circles around" mean? I've NEVER seen a significant performance or reliablility 'edge' with those particular stihls over the old Homelite and Mac saws in question.

You mentioned that the 290 would do all that 'cutting circles around' stuff while surviving the abuse of morons (paraphrasing here)................well what do you think those Macs and Homelites have done? They've survived 3-4 DECADES of such abuse, and MANY are still out there makin' wood. Many more of them could be gotten off the shelf and revived with only a fuel line, a carb kit, and a sharp chain. How many of those plastic stihls will still be cutting wood 40+ years after they were built (without a complete rebuild)? I'd bet that # would be MUCH less than the numbers of these Homelites and Macs that are out doing work decades after they left the assembly line...

Most of these 30-40 year old saws spent most of the last 25 years or so on a shelf, Not all but most. I have a relative that could bust a anvil with a feather. This guy moved to a wooded lot around 79 or 80. He wrecked 2 mac 610s and 1 sxl and 1 xl12 in less than 2 years. None were straight gassed, He will never change the way he abuses everything. He bought a 029 super when they first came out. Still using it today, cutting as much if not more than when the others were alive. He has left it ouside in rain, snow and ice numerous times. He lean screams the tank dry most of the time. His storage of fuel is no better. I would have never guessed it would last more than a year.

Most of these 30-40 year old saws spent most of the last 25 years or so on a shelf, Not all but most. I have a relative that could bust a anvil with a feather. This guy moved to a wooded lot around 79 or 80. He wrecked 2 mac 610s and 1 sxl and 1 xl12 in less than 2 years. None were straight gassed, He will never change the way he abuses everything. He bought a 029 super when they first came out. Still using it today, cutting as much if not more than when the others were alive. He has left it ouside in rain, snow and ice numerous times. He lean screams the tank dry most of the time. His storage of fuel is no better. I would have never guessed it would last more than a year.

I hope he didn't ask you to borrow a saw!

I wouldn't lend him anything. Every time his brother let him use something it comes back busted. This has gone on for years. Finally he was told don't bring back anything busted or bent, just replace it with same or better, no song and dance, so far he has.

Echo 360t top handle. Read the reviews of people loving them. Bought a brand new one about a year ago. 1st time I used it, it quit after 10 minutes. Took to dealer, adjusted carb, took it back home. Next time, it quit after 10 minutes again. Took it back, dealer fiddled with carb again. Next time I used it, it quit after 10 minutes again. Dealer worked on it again. Next time I used it, quit after 10 minutes. Took it back to dealer, they replaced ignition coil. Told me Echo states they are having a problem with them when they get hot. Took saw home, it quit again after 10 minutes. Took saw back in, the dealer replaced the carb and told me if I had one more problem he would replace the saw. 2 weeks later, the dealer closed his doors. I used the saw again, ran like a race horse for 45-60 minutes. Problem solved right? Wrong. Next time I used it, it quit after 10 minutes. Now I am stuck with a possessed saw that won't run. Nearest dealer is 36 miles away.

Awesome

longevity wise The old saws were meant to last Regardless of whether they spent the last 25 years on the shelf or not. New saws on the other hand name brand or not are mostly plastic and have a predetermined life by the manufacture. They make it to where they last long enough that when it dies you come back to them and spend more $$$ I wouldnt expect to see a new saw sitting on the shelf 40 years from now and still be in running order Unless it had been extremely babied all its life.

Expectations...

I find it's more about expectations. Most of the cared-for saws that I've run ran about as well as I expected, so I can't really complain. A few have put a smile on my face. A poorly-maintained or tuned saw is a nightmare, but you can't blame the saw for that.

My biggest disappointments include any saw equipped with safety chain... It'll make crap out of any chainsaw. Exceptions for top-handle saws, I think for good reason, but I don't own any of those. I'm convinced that manufacturers put safety chain on so that when the owner (who wants the saw to actually cut more than just the first time out) swaps it out, they're not on the hook for ANYTHING.

Special note... I love my 026s... mm'd and ported, they are nimble, plenty gutsy, and stone-cold reliable. Not the fastest available these days, but you can't deny the quality.

We had a bunch of fires up here a couple years ago and had to bring reserve fire engines into front line use. The engine I ended up on was equipped with a Husky 41 with a 16" .325 bar and safety chain . Needless to say, it lacked in speed and power. We were having to cut through redwood and Doug fir that had limbs that were big enough they needed to be double cut with the 16". No chance on the trunks. Barely scratched 'em! I kinda felt silly out there. Other guys had 372s and 440s with 28" bars, and here I am with the mighty 41 and my 16 incher. Ha ha.

I find it's more about expectations. Most of the cared-for saws that I've run ran about as well as I expected, so I can't really complain. A few have put a smile on my face. A poorly-maintained or tuned saw is a nightmare, but you can't blame the saw for that.

My biggest disappointments include any saw equipped with safety chain... It'll make crap out of any chainsaw. Exceptions for top-handle saws, I think for good reason, but I don't own any of those. I'm convinced that manufacturers put safety chain on so that when the owner (who wants the saw to actually cut more than just the first time out) swaps it out, they're not on the hook for ANYTHING.

Special note... I love my 026s... mm'd and ported, they are nimble, plenty gutsy, and stone-cold reliable. Not the fastest available these days, but you can't deny the quality.

I've actually had some safety chain that did a good job of cutting, don't know much about the brands of chains once they're removed from the box they came in so I can't tell you what it was. I would try a safety chain before I would just throw it away.

Without a doubt it was a Makita, can't remember the model but it was a dog to start hot or cold, I told the boss i was going to run it over with the tractor if he did not get it sorted.
In the end in pure frustration of failing to start it once again i sort of lost it in the middle of a pond:clap:, on returning to the yard that night i was asked by the boss where is the Makita, in the pond i say, why says the boss, cos i did not have the tractor handy says I.
Nothing else was ever said.

Now i am the boss and we had a 360 to clean out the pond, the driver finds the Makita and phones to ask what to do with it, put it back says I :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Without a doubt it was a Makita, can't remember the model but it was a dog to start hot or cold, I told the boss i was going to run it over with the tractor if he did not get it sorted.
In the end in pure frustration of failing to start it once again i sort of lost it in the middle of a pond:clap:, on returning to the yard that night i was asked by the boss where is the Makita, in the pond i say, why says the boss, cos i did not have the tractor handy says I.
Nothing else was ever said.

Now i am the boss and we had a 360 to clean out the pond, the driver finds the Makita and phones to ask what to do with it, put it back says I :smile2::smile2::smile2:

I'm not trying to start trouble but....

I'll second the Makita. Mine was a ported 7901. Nothing wrong with the saw just didnt like it- thought it was bulky, didnt care for the rev limited coil, didnt care how it felt in the hands, didnt like the chain adjuster setup either. I know they have a strong following but the saw wasn't for me- I actually liked the power better as a 6401 and probably would have kept it had I left it that way. Sold it for half what I had in it and was glad to be rid of it. Much prefer the Huskies and Jonsereds.

4 month old MS460.

It was the logging company's and it felt so outdated compared to my 12 year old 371XP!

Do all Aussie women look like your avatar?...Between you and deye223, I think I need to travel......without the "one that must be obeyed" I live with.:drooln:

Sorry, back to the thread.......

Back