Changing a Jred 2050 from .325 to 3/8 chain. Is it possible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel nut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 2145 and a 2050 turbo I'm wanting to switch to 3/8 chain so I can use the same chain on other saws if I have to. I'll probably only switch out one saw. These are the only saws that I have that have this particular type chain. I've searched on here and have come up with no results. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Its possible. For the 2050 get a oregon 35641x rim sprocket kit and change the .325 rim that comes with it to a 18720 3/8 rim and get a b&c in 3/8 for a K095 mount. For the 2145 they show a 108215x rim sprocket kit in .325, they also show a 108565x for 3/8, it is a little confusing with the 3/8 rim because they are showing the rim as a std spline rim when i believe they are using a small spline rim on these saws, you may need to investigate the part #'s a little more before buying. Then get a b&c in K095 mount for the 3/8. This is providing there is enough clearance around the sprocket cover for 3/8.

Edit: I personally don't feel they have the guts to pull 3/8 very well, they will cut however.

Last edited:
Its possible. For the 2050 get a oregon 35641x rim sprocket kit and change the .325 rim that comes with it to a 18720 3/8 rim and get a b&c in 3/8 for a K095 mount. For the 2145 they show a 108215x rim sprocket kit in .325, they also show a 108565x for 3/8, it is a little confusing with the 3/8 rim because they are showing the rim as a std spline rim when i believe they are using a small spline rim on these saws, you may need to investigate the part #'s a little more before buying. Then get a b&c in K095 mount for the 3/8. This is providing there is enough clearance around the sprocket cover for 3/8.

Edit: I personally don't feel they have the guts to pull 3/8 very well, they will cut however.

Ok thanks for the info. Yea I figured that but the main reason for switching is so that I can run a power sharp bar that I bought a while back. I couldn't find one that uses .325 pitch chain.

I have a 2145 and a 2050 turbo I'm wanting to switch to 3/8 chain so I can use the same chain on other saws if I have to. I'll probably only switch out one saw. These are the only saws that I have that have this particular type chain. I've searched on here and have come up with no results. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

IMHO a 2050 won't have the guts to run a 3/8 .050 b&c. I muffler modded mine and it really showed an improvement. At least twice the power now... If you do go with the 3/8 I would definitely consider a muffler mod, if you haven't done it already. I'm guessing you're planning on running an 18" bar?

I had a 2050turbo that pulled an 18" 3/8's with no problem, I don't know what the fuss is about. Good little firewood saw.

If you are looking at a 3/8 power-sharp, then I think it has to be the 3/8 LO-PROFILE, not regular 3/8. The 3/8 lp-pro (power-sharp or standard) will pull a lot easier than the .325, and is designed for saws of 40cc or less. Forester sells several rim sprockets (small spline) for the 3/8 lo-pro. You don't want to use the standard 3/8 rim with 3/8 lo-pro chain, as the chassis and drive links are of different size and shape.

Thanks for all the info fellas. Appreciate it.
IMHO a 2050 won't have the guts to run a 3/8 .050 b&c. I muffler modded mine and it really showed an improvement. At least twice the power now... If you do go with the 3/8 I would definitely consider a muffler mod, if you haven't done it already. I'm guessing you're planning on running an 18" bar?
Yea the kit I bought is an 18" b&c with lo pro chain so I'd think it would work ok. So what did you do to mod the muffler? I can always use more ponies! ;)

Sure it will pull it but it wont cut as fast as .325 7 tooth. I you really want to make that saw cut put a 3/8 nk 6 tooth setup on it. Steve

I have ran both on it.I didn't see much difference.It's a 50cc saw with 3.3hp. I did have the muffler opened a little. But that's it.
Ya'll talk like it'll fall flat on it's face with 3/8's. Which it won't.

6 pin? That'll definately slow it down.:laugh:

:agree2:

I have an older 2050 that is a great little saw, but I wouldn't give it the added burden of the 3/8 chain.

Mark

:agree2:

I have ran both on it.I didn't see much difference.It's a 50cc saw with 3.3hp. I did have the muffler opened a little. But that's it.

I believe it is 3.1 hp (stock)....:msp_wink:

I'd guess about a 20% increase in cutting speed with a 3/8 nk 6 pin setup, I've tried saws with that much power both ways. Steve

Well my 2050 is gone now, but I am finishing up a Husky 49.Same saw I believe.
I'll have to round up the bars and chains and do a real world test when the weather breaks.
I'll have to scare up a 6 pin though. Not something I have.

Back