Cheap competition.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the larger Efcos even come close to the EPA limits of 72gms/kwhr... I'm bettting they don't (unless they use a CAT muffler, no conventional 2 stroke can meet this level), and they are using the 3200 unit per year exemption available for the next two years to bring them in.

Other than a short model life, none of this matters to the end users.

I normally agree with what you say Lake (even if I don't admit it), but stop pigeon-holing two strokes. Just because people haven't started building cleaner conventional engines doesn't mean it can't happen.

At the 1900 Convention of Physicists the key speaker stated that everything major thing there was to know about physics had been discovered.

Guess he just didn't know about Special Relativity or Quantum theory.

Fred

Had a chance to run the 962 some today. Pretty impressive in stock form...trounced a stock 357XP by 1.53 seconds in a 10" log - same bar and chain. Wish I had a 361 to run it against...

attachment.php

This will be the starting point to test my modifications...first up is the muffler. Kinda restrictive if you ask me. The baffle in the center has 2 holes on the side for the gasses to escape into the muffler body. It then enters the tube and discharges out of the side of the muffler. I plan to remove the baffle, cut the tube out of the muffer and add another outlet the same size on the side of the muffler. Nothing crazy, but it needs to be opened up.

attachment.php

I normally agree with what you say Lake (even if I don't admit it), but stop pigeon-holing two strokes. Just because people haven't started building cleaner conventional engines doesn't mean it can't happen.

At the 1900 Convention of Physicists the key speaker stated that everything major thing there was to know about physics had been discovered.

Guess he just didn't know about Special Relativity or Quantum theory.

Fred

HEY - QUIT Reading my sig line ;)

I wish it were true.. but... I won't hold my breathe.

...and I did bold type "conventional" deliberately... I'll just define that as all the stuff prior to stratocharge and compression wave... and even those are just a tweak on "conventional". Computer carbs (in production) and injection are next, but these too are just tweaks/bandaids.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way....if I could have a 70 to 80cc saw that ran as smooth and used as little fuel as the 441, with the oiler and anti-vibration of the 372 (for when my chain starts getting 'wood dull'), that had the snappy acceleration of the 7900, that weighed as much as the 440, was as quiet as a stock 757, had the stylish ergonomics of the 971, with the broad torque band of the 133, and that had the bearing structure of the 680- I'd be a happy camper.

My New 952

I picked this up last week at a fair, the guy said he had used it once.
I don't even think it has been used once, the air filter is like new and there is no dust anywhere, €180 bought it.
Brand new semi chisel chain and bar,there is a lot of black drool coming out of the muffler when I start it, so I may have to bury it in some of the knotty alder that it is sitting on and burn it clean.
:)

Intresting saws to bad the only place to buy them is ebay or john deere(at inflated price) there seems to be no canadian dealers.

efco sawz

i have four of the rebadge efoco sawz labeled jd . i bought the jd cs81 too replace a finicky old o038 super mag II. as too the jd dealer price they are cheaper then most other saw brands. the only moan i can say is i bought the cs 62 an it had the :bang: :taped: .325 16" bar and safety chain. on mine i end up swaping out the .325 16" bar and safety chain for a 24" bar and full skip chain from my long gone h:bang: sky 460. i run either a 28" bar and full skip chain or a 36" bar and full skip chain on the cs 81. the cs 81 can eat up wood faster then my old 038 mag II on it her best day.:givebeer:
:)

Bump

Had a little more time to work on my 981. She is about ready to go together. I need to shim the wristpin bearing as it is only 13mm wide, and the piston I am using is 15.2mm between the bosses. I did locate a 15mm wide bearing, but it is for a Polini scooter and only imported from Spain, needless to say it is cost prohibitive. I have to come up with a thrust washer of some sort.

attachment.php

I have a WJ off an 066 ready to go on. The slightly larger venturi should help me at altitude.

I have a 264, and 2 945's Olys. I bought the first 945 and had to get the oiler o-rings replaced. I bought what I thought was going to be a 945 parts saw. I cleaned it up, put a used pull rope and a new plug on it and it runs good. The 264 is a real workhorse. All 3 of these saws have seen alot of action and only the 264 seems to have been taken care of, but they are all good dependable saws that start on the 3rd or 4rth pull. I use one of the 945's as my truck saw. The other 2 are at camp.

I see those 964's on E-bay selling at a real nice price and if I needed a midsize saw I would jump on them at that price. I'm on the hunt for a 181 or a 981 to run a big bar on. If anyone knows of any bargains, shoot me a message.

If these Efco's are anything like my 1998 Moto Guzzi you won't be needing many parts. I have'nt had to buy anything other than a gas cap for that bike in 50 thousand some miles. Those Oly's are overbuilt just like that Guzzi.

yea efco is a tough machine the distributor where i get my efco parts from said they hardly ever get any warranty work reports on them so yes its very seldom they get tore down

besides they have a 5 year consumer warranty
but i think commercial is very limited warranty
calvin

I was wondering where I could find online stealerships for the Efco series saws. I'm not really finding anything.

have you checked maybe they are restricted on who can sell online and who cant
now its very possible i may be able to check the territory on what states can be sold and what not i will also check with my distributor to see if i can sell the complete saws online
if they say yes i will just have to put the catalog together for you all

now parts is different i think i will have to do some research its possible i may be able to put parts on line but i must check first to see if it is possible to do that

each manufacture is got certain guidelines at what can be done and what cant be done

Last edited:
Thank you. Its been stirring in the back of my head. I would like to give the Efco 199 a shot. You know, something different under the belt. All the info that Ive googled on the Efco, has been in the UK. Its :censored: pissing me off! Oh well, I guess I will have to snoop and poop more. Thank you though. +1 :cheers:

Latest posts

Back