Cheap old ATVs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickIreland

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Quick background - I have an island half a mile from the lake shore, around 98 acres, with a cabin on it. The "Middle" bit of the island was all conifers planted by the local tree heritage people, as the island is an Area Of Special Scientific Interest. This stuff was planted before i was born.
About 10 years ago, they logged it. Brought over the full size machines that grab the tree, cut it, limb it, and put it on a truck all in one movement - on pontoons. Fair enough, they planted them, they got rid of them because they weren't native trees, apparently.
Now, the middle part of the island takes a hell of a lot of effort to walk across - it's all 4-5" high stumps and brush filling the gaps. Like walking through a foot of snow, really.
So I was thinking about buying an old, beaten up ATV (happy with a 3-wheeler, they are still legal here) to get round, drag logs around, break my neck on, etc.
Is this feasible? Anything I see around here is $500 or more, I'm looking to find a heap of junk which just runs, moves, and can go slowly over rough ground for $150 or so. No racing, maybe drag a small sled full of wood, nothing more. The dirtier and more beat up the better. No need to be road legal (no roads!), it just needs to be startable and go. I don't need lights, daylight only.
Are there any old models I should be keeping an eye out for? I don't need a 400cc thing, just something I can use to get across the island on, without having to use my 4hp fibreglass dinghy to go ROUND, rather than across!

Cheers,

Patrick.

for 3 wheelers the honda big reds are good machines. for 4 wheelers any of the honda fourtrax/fourman models or suzuki kingquad models are very tough reliable machines. I think honda went to four wheelers in 1984, and the first fourtrax which was a 200cc model is a good sturdy model IMO.

for 3 wheelers the honda big reds are good machines.

:agree2:

I was thinking Honda 185s "Big Red" was the oldest and probably cheapest utility ATV. The other 25 year old ATVs are either toys or racers. My folks sold some cherry trees to a fellow who hauled them out of the woods with a homemade log arch behind a 185s, circa 1983. Not many bikes were made for that sort of thing until Honda started making 700lb "Foreman 4x4" models around 1986 or so. You will not find a running 4x4 Honda for less than $1000, at least not in USA, but I have seen Big Reds for as little as $300 in the past.

I actually remember the "Big Red" name from when I was a kid, now that I'm reminded of it! One of my distant friends had one, spoilt kid - lived in the suburbs and had a tennis court and everything.
I've posted pics of the island before, Manyhobies, but not on this section of the forum - will have a flick through and try and find them!

The whole island -

Island.jpg

Cabin from a distance

zoomedhouse.jpg
[/IMG]

After spending a small fortune on scaffolding and staging boards to replace the front boards...

new2520front.jpg

The fireplace, complete with kettles and hooks!

MVC-010F.jpg

View from the front window.

Front20window20view.jpg

Built in around 1901 I think, by my great grandfather. As a hunting lodge, so we have always known it as "the Lodge".
It's dirty, dusty, it still has the old flooring down from 100 years ago, it has no mains power, no mains water, phone, sewage, nothing.
But damn, it's a great place to get drunk and watch the stars. :D

I agree, looks like an awesome getaway!

I have an old Honda 3 wheeler ATC. I think it is a 1980 model. Not sure but I believe it is a 110. All the decals are gone from it and I couldn't find any markings on the crank case in the dark. My dad bought it to use for hunting from his neighbor in the 90's for $300 I believe. He wore the sprocket and chain out and gave it to me. I put a new sprocket and chain on it about 8 years ago and it runs fine. There is a problem with the steering column though and it started to not want to go into neutral around the time I quit riding it several years back. Maybe I will get it out and give it some TLC this Summer.

Thanks for the idea! Good luck with your search!

WOW.. nice spot.. very jealous..

I just got an 86' Kawasaki 300 Bayou 2wd.. it was cheap, there's lots of them around and they are tough as nails (although very delicate in some means)..

No such thing as a cheap working atv around here. Guys beat on machines for 10 yrs then ask the same price they paid for it. Even a 25 yr old Big Red goes for $1000 to $2000. The influx of chinese quads has brought prices down a bit.

I picked up a suzuki 230cc quad for 300 bucks. That 230 will run forever...all I had to do was bleed the brakes. I also got extra tranny, 4 wheels with tires, carb, rear brakes, drive shaft(shaft driven), fuel tank, spare seat, etc. I put a tool box on the front rack with a 100lb weight in it to keep the front end down and extra room in box for quart of bar oil, wrench, screw driver, extra chain, old bar(for when I get the saw stuck) and so on. Great little firewood hauler. Only 2 wheel drive, but still works great, especially for a 20 year old machine.

Cheers all, looks like they hold their value a bit out of my price range! I can't really justify $600 considering the amount of wood I cut, so it may end up remaining as Shank's pony!

around here its rare to stumble on anything with 4 wheels in running condition for less than 500.00, and even then, it won't last long. same deal with the trikes.

i picked up a '87 kawasaki bayou 300 2wd with the locker rear end (high tech back in the day) with a new top end for $450.00. the older gentlemen was moving, and couldn't use it anymore. he posted the flyer in the spot i was hunting and i followed him home to pick it up. if you see one, jump on it.

a friend has a '96 polaris scrambler 2 stroke 250 automatic, chain driven for sale. needs tie rod ends and new carrier barings, he is askin' 550.00

Wild prices... I looked up the Ebay prices of the Big Reds just out of interest - for what they sell for (1985 model) I could buy a 1997 Audi!

Back