CHEAP saw for cutting on stumps/fence posts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just the opposite. Put on the long bar, dog in, get some coffee, throw in a wedge half way thru, read the paper, take a few hits from the oxygen tank if I'm running bel ray, finish up and pick up the stump with the tractor

View attachment 320110

HAHA, me too! I take pride in my stump cuts! I like a nice perfectly flat cut without any struggle scars.

As far as to the original question which I assume is for smaller stumps and problem stumps that are in the way. I used to install quite a bit of fencing and I always had an electric saw in the trailer for cutting roots, fence posts, or whatever. The low rpm was perfect for the task without instantly dulling the saw if you got into some dirt. Saved the wear and tear on my other saws. I clean is up after every use and oil, still running strong with the original chain.

Stopped by my favorite small engine shop yesterday to drop off a few chains to be sharpened and had to look at saws (CAD kicking in lol) Anyways had a used 33cc 16" homelite ranger with case and spare chains fully serviced/sharpened for $100 so picked it up cut a few logs with it and seems to be a decent saw

I think everyone needs a cheap saw, to throw in the truck, carry into places where it may be destroyed, a saw you don't love. Nobody wants to take a 346 on a canoe trip. I got Stihl 170 that rolls in the truck bed with the wire and posts. Looks like hell after two years, buts still starts when I aSK.

As the OP I did buy a cheap saw, found a barely used homelite ranger 16" 33cc with case and a few spare chains for $100. Cuts decent for what it is :) and keeps my redmax gz380 from getting abused/bashed around in the back of the truck

I have both a Homelite Ranger and a Redmax 400. You are doing right to use the Ranger for the stumps. The Redmax is too nice a limbing saw to ruin it flush cutting.
My Ranger I got used and it just needed new fuel lines, filter and a carb rebuild. Starts easy every time and runs well, just doesn't have a lot of power.
If you find yourself needing a bigger saw, take GrassGuerilla's advice on the Poulan 3400, 3700 or 3800. They can often be had in the $50-$100 range if not running, or the $100-$150 range running. The non-runners usually only need the fuel line/filter and carb rebuild treatment. They will run stronger and are tougher than the Stihl Farm Boss, for 1/2 the price. And if you know how to rebuild a carb, they are NOT hard to start. It is no coincidence there are lots of them around, still running strong, 30 years after they were built.

Also, semichisel chain works better than full chisel for dirty cutting - doesn't dull as quick..

There is no reason to have a crappy saw for dirty work. Get a good saw, keep it sharp, and the dirty jobs will not seem like such a problem.

Be prepared to ruin the chain if you must cut real low. This won't hurt the saw, just your chain, patience, and wallet.

Oh; Man......... I'd hate to put a good saw through what I've put my Poulan. Had a big Honey Locust once. With those 4" long thorns. The limbs stretched way out touching other tree limbs. Long story short. The thorns grabbed hold as it began to fall, pinched my bar, set back on it, spun a half circle, teetered, spit my saw out, and fell. Never hurt the saw. Had it been a good saw, that tree would have flattened it three times in a heartbeat.

Not pickin' any fights here, but if you are choosing a cheap saw because you might screw up and crush it...well...that sounds like the right decision to make.

Since I don't ever crush saws with falling trees, I don't consider that there is any risk to the saw, and I always prefer a good saw to a homeowner special.

I've never lost a saw either. And that ole Poulan, well, I hate it, that's why I put in precarious situations, but it just keeps on livin, no matter what. I still don't like it though. :)

I can't believe no one has suggested an Earthquake cs4518 yet, $55 delivered, perfect saw per your description.

Two cs4518's for there've of one Poulan, or one cs4518 and two or three full chisel chains to go with it for the price of the Poulan.

I'm with you. I flush cut with a pair of 4518's. One wears 20LP on a 16" bar while the other runs 91VX. Both have been great stumping saws.
O

Latest posts

Back