Cheaper Comm Systems / Hand Signals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
At first i thought i'd post this in 101 but i figured the experienced would have more experience :laugh:...

What are some cheaper communication systems out there for either Rec climbing or maybe a 2 man removal crew just starting out? I know hand signals should be understood either way in the case comm is lost but has anyone ever made their own simpler and cheaper comm systems and built them into your PPE?

I do have 2 or 3 decked out Motorola and other brand walkie talkies that seem like they can incorporate maybe a push to talk hedset of some kind, or at least have a connection for headphones. I know these would be cheaper to start with instead of outfitting every helmet with a RopeTec or other brand for $200+ bucks each. Also have whistles and im sure a crew can work out simple hand signals that can be understood but is there a guide or basic set of hand signals that can be learned in the case of working with another crew? Like a universal code? Or is it just pointing a finger up means somethings going up or down as in watch the hell out? The middle finger as in you should have let it run (rigging)?! Or "OK" that im still alive and intact after the fact? Punching yourself in the nuts repeatedly means fire ants crawled up your pants? Crazy swinging arms means F'in bees?!?!? Bounce head off the ground twice means i just fell? :D

Just wondering what comm systems have been rigged on the cheaper side and if hand signals is just something planned out in a job briefing prior to climbing between Rec climbers or a starting out climber/groundie crew...

Any info greatly appreciated. I'd love to have the latest and greatest bluetooth and all but thats not in the immediate cards... I spent 10+ years on the railroad, the first 7 months running locomotives around and if our radios went out, we had a definitive range of hand signals for when your switch thrower (i was the hostler/driver) was 8 or 9 loco's away without comm. Had to be absolutely sure what he meant or it could cost someone their life in seconds. Even worse when we had 2 or 3 different sets of movers around us. Thank god nothing ever happened on my shift.

Let's start with the premise that the vast majority of crews do not use radio systems.

Most guys once they've worked together a while will develop their own signalling system. Some yell, some use whistles, some use saw revs. Once you have the groundie's attention, you can then go to hand signals or yells. Once someone's ear is tuned to listen for a specific sound, they will be able to hear it over the chipper.

I've developed my own hand signals for the few things I need. Hand to mouth (lunch), taking a drink (coffee time).

The other important message is to have your groundie look up (alot).

Just wondering what comm systems have been rigged on the cheaper side and if hand signals is just something planned out in a job briefing prior to climbing between Rec climbers or a starting out climber/groundie crew...

We use a few very simple hand signals sometimes. Mostly it's clear, loud, very short commands from the climber, and equally clear and short questions from the groundman.

The best thing is to have the groundman and climber get a sort of zen communication going based on habit and understating.

Amazing how many guys walk forwards while looking backwards when there's a saw running up in the tree! :dumb:

I don't think any comms are needed for rec climbing. I had a couple helmets with the Sena bluetooth units, but I bought it mainly for music while working rather than the comms. The comms come in handy on 100'+ trees, but we really didn't end up using it that much and the helmets wear out too fast and too much $$$. The main time I end up using comms is when working with crane ops who don't have a lot of tree experience. They often can't see you the first few picks on a big tree, so you can't give them hand signals for jib/slew/rope. I just use whatever radios they have, or if they don't have one just give them a call by cell phone. Usually only need to do it the first few picks since once you've opened up the tree you can give them hand signals.

I use hand signals on crane jobs that seem kind of universal. Pointing up and circling your finger means up ,doing same thing pointing down means well ,down. A clinched fist mean good . finger and thumb coming together means" little bit more. Lots of times I'll give signals to a groundsmen who'll relay them to crane operator if I'm out of site to the operator. A flat palm held up means stop.

I use hand signals on crane jobs that seem kind of universal. Pointing up and circling your finger means up ,doing same thing pointing down means well ,down. A clinched fist mean good . finger and thumb coming together means" little bit more. Lots of times I'll give signals to a groundsmen who'll relay them to crane operator if I'm out of site to the operator. A flat palm held up means stop.
Crane signals http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...d=0CB0QMygAMABqFQoTCIvTpreZ9MYCFc9-iAod8BwJkg
OSHA requires you to use these although self created ones are good and helpful you shall use these. These are standard will help if you work with multiple different companies.

There aren't so many that you really need to know. Unless regularly working with 150tonn+ cranes you're unlikely to need "jib in/jib out". Most common ones are jib up (thumb up) jib down (thumb down). Slew left, slew right (indicated by arm fully extended pointing in direction of slew required). Rope up is indicated by pointer finger pointing up and spinning. Rope down is the reverse, but often when in the tree we use the sign of palm facing down and hand waving left to right which is the sign for "put it fully down". Its easier to see and still conveys the same message.

Hand signals can only go so far though. There's no hand signal for "take 2 tonne preload on the hook then I'll put a top scarf in and undercut. As soon as it's free quickly jib up and slew right because the butt end will slowly start balancing and it may brush the edge of the roof". A radio sure can help, in dynamic situations.

If you've got a switched on climber who's experienced with cranes and a switched on crane op who's experienced with trees there's a lot less discussion going on. Same as working with an experienced groundie, you both know what the other is intending most times. For the rest, a wink's as good as a nod to a blind man.

I usually use my 45 acp. It definitely gets the attention of everyone in the area and brings ground work to hault. I would check with local and state law enforcement before doing this yourself. And I should add its frowned upon by most "professional" arborist.

The best system I've come up with "HEY YOU! MOVE YOUR ASS OUT OF THE WAY" and "HEY YOU, DRAG THAT BRUSH OUT OF THERE"!!! "HEY YOU, SEND ME THE BIG SAW UP"! "JUST TIE IT TO THE ROPE LIKE I TAUGHT TO A HUNDRED FREAKING TIMES ALREADY"!!!

Peltor makes some excellent radio sets. I have a bluetooth headset/earmuffs that lets me casually talk on the phone while I am running a chainsaw or even the chipper. The person on the other end generally thinks I am in a quiet office or perhaps a long distance away from the action. The noise cancelling features are amazing.

They have very similar radio devices with a transmitter built into the headset (Powercom), some of which are designed to install on hard hats. I would buy them in a minute if they weren't so expensive. The bluetooth headsets can be paired to another device that plugs into the microphone port of some business radios. In this fashion, you can have voice activated radio communication and still answer the phone when it rings. Obviously, you need to warm up your wallet when you plan on using that kind of technology. These radio headsets are probably not at all an answer to your "cheaper communication" request.

I have had my Peltor bluetooth headset for about 4-5 years; it still works just fine. I have broken off the mic a couple of times, but i just glue it back together.

Some links:
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/litecom-plus-headband-model.html
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...=7576578+8690968+3294161334+3294529207&rt=rud
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...-Solutions?N=8690968+3294529207+5137086&rt=r3
http://peltorcomms.3m.com/world/Product.asp?PageNumber=145&Product_Id=179&ProductCategory_Id=14

Peltor makes some excellent radio sets. I have a bluetooth headset/earmuffs that lets me casually talk on the phone while I am running a chainsaw or even the chipper. The person on the other end generally thinks I am in a quiet office or perhaps a long distance away from the action. The noise cancelling features are amazing.

They have very similar radio devices with a transmitter built into the headset (Powercom), some of which are designed to install on hard hats. I would buy them in a minute if they weren't so expensive. The bluetooth headsets can be paired to another device that plugs into the microphone port of some business radios. In this fashion, you can have voice activated radio communication and still answer the phone when it rings. Obviously, you need to warm up your wallet when you plan on using that kind of technology. These radio headsets are probably not at all an answer to your "cheaper communication" request.

I have had my Peltor bluetooth headset for about 4-5 years; it still works just fine. I have broken off the mic a couple of times, but i just glue it back together.

Some links:
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/litecom-plus-headband-model.html
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...=7576578+8690968+3294161334+3294529207&rt=rud
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...-Solutions?N=8690968+3294529207+5137086&rt=r3
http://peltorcomms.3m.com/world/Product.asp?PageNumber=145&Product_Id=179&ProductCategory_Id=14

They are not too expensive is you know where to buy them. Have used peltor for about 15 years now and never have paid over 150.00 per set.

I usually use my 45 acp. It definitely gets the attention of everyone in the area and brings ground work to hault. I would check with local and state law enforcement before doing this yourself. And I should add its frowned upon by most "professional" arborist.
So I should start bringing my ar10 up in the tree lol [emoji23]

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

I believe communication systems are vital to safety in the tree industry. I would encourage you to buy a comm system not only for the safety aspect, but also for the money they will make you. The time you save when you don't have to wait for someone to look at you is priceless. It's money well spent and you'll quickly learn that is was a wise investment.
I've been using the Peltors system since 2002 and wouldn't work without them. Everyone I've ever convinced to buy them says the same thing and 'why didn't I buy them sooner?'
Many guys I know purchased the Sena system and rave about them.
After all, it is 2015.

you know none of the proper crane signals. learn them, you will be better off.

Back