cherry or maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never burnt with hard maple but if was silver maple over cherry I would definately go with the cherry.. matter of fact Im burning with silver maple right now since its not super cold out yet but as it gets colder I will move on to my cherry then to the ash and locust wood for the super cold days and nights. for the BTU's plus the longer burn time you get..

BTU's rule the roost.

Hard/sugar Maple for winter

Cherry for aroma, or autumn/spring, valentines, one night stands.

I like them both, but the sugar maple a little more. Both dry pretty fast. Dont know what it is bout the cherry, but I cant stand the smell off it for some reason, but I have the heater going now....with some cherry and some bigger splits of hard maple for the night.:cheers:

Of the two, I go for hard maple, but if I could get cherry i would stockpile it in a minute. Nothing wrong with cherry,,,,nice to split, dries fast.

Bob

I thought cherry was alot better than soft maples but there not much differance on the btu chart, Hard maple seems to be better than oak.
Hard to believe that hard maple is better than oak in either BTU/lb or BTU/cord. Oak is denser than hard maple and white oak is over 29 MBtu/cord. Live oak is even higher.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
What species is "Hard Maple" exactly? Around here we have abundant Silver Maple, few Sugar Maples, and other yard tree varieties of maple like Norway Maple, Autumn Blaze, etc. I just don't know what "hard maple" is. It isn't a term we use in Kansas that I know of.

:confused:

What species is "Hard Maple" exactly? Around here we have abundant Silver Maple, few Sugar Maples, and other yard tree varieties of maple like Norway Maple, Autumn Blaze, etc. I just don't know what "hard maple" is. It isn't a term we use in Kansas that I know of.

Sugar Maple is hard Maple...... also known as rock Maple around here.

Sugar Maple is hard Maple...... also known as rock Maple around here.

I curious if the maple tree in the NE are more dense than those here in the center of the country. Maybe Climate/Soil differences cause them to grow slower and are therefore they are heavier "harder" than the few sugar maples that grow here in parts of NE kansas. I've only cut and burned one, and I felt like there are many other species here that are better burning.

Maple for sure, but Cherry coals out so nice and is so easy to find, it's almost a wash.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It's not a species of maple. The hard (wood) maple of the NE is sugar maple, closely followed by norway and black maples. Black maple is VERY similar to sugar maple.
There is a norway maple species; what's "autumn blaze"? Variant of what?
Sugar maple is definitely the beauty of the bunch, year-round.

Hard to believe that hard maple is better than oak in either BTU/lb or BTU/cord. Oak is denser than hard maple and white oak is over 29 MBtu/cord. Live oak is even higher.

:popcorn:

I believe red oak and sugar maple have about the same heat content. Red oak is very common around here. I'll take sugar maple over cherry, but red oak over maple if only because it splits easier. Takes longer to dry, but I got room.

You might have burned norway maple , looks like leaves look like suger maple but the bark is smother , and it doesnt put out BTU's like suger .

I curious if the maple tree in the NE are more dense than those here in the center of the country. Maybe Climate/Soil differences cause them to grow slower and are therefore they are heavier "harder" than the few sugar maples that grow here in parts of NE kansas. I've only cut and burned one, and I felt like there are many other species here that are better burning.

Back