Chicago brand chain sharpeners, any good??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been thinking about maybe buying one to keep my chains sharpened but i don't know anything about the quality, anybody know how well built the sharpeners are ?? Think Northern tool has them for around $40.00 Want to get opinions before i buy one. Thanks.

Keith42 said:
Been thinking about maybe buying one to keep my chains sharpened but i don't know anything about the quality, anybody know how well built the sharpeners are ?? Think Northern tool has them for around $40.00 Want to get opinions before i buy one. Thanks.

I bought one to convert chains for ripping. The thing is a "flexi-flyer", so don't put much force on it. Short quick hits on the chain and it will work okay. Seems to do a pretty good job within it's parameters. I still do my main sharpening by hand since it is faster for me, and I've done it that way for over 30 years. However, running it over the grinder now and then to make sure the angles are set right, and the cutters are the same length is the only other time I use it, and that is when the chain is 1/3 to 1/2 used up...for me anyway.

Glad I have it, don't use it a whole lot. But I bought it for a specific purpose, and have been happy with it for that. Still want a real one, but can't justify the cost. Eventually.

Mark

I have one and it works ok. It will give you fairly consistent angles which is way more than I can expect from my hand filing. I use a file in the field and true up the angles back in the garage. Just dont expect the world from a $49 grinder. You can get different wheels at Baileys. The ones they sell for their Sharpboy 12v grinder fit perfect.

better idea

I am not imporessed with hf tools etc (CHEAP)but lets leave that out. They may work for for an occasional use item. Better idea is to get one from baileys that clamps on your bar (no need to remove the chain)is 12 volt and goes anywhere $139 otherwise looks just like the shop ones.:)

Back