Chimney question???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at it this way: I think it would look totally cool to have dual exhaust on the house rather than a wimpy single!!!!:blob2: Of course that is the mechanic in me talking......

HAHA! Great point! Let this baby breath!

I hope this helps some...
NFPA 211 7.1.11.1
Masonry chimneys serving appliances shall be sized and configured in accordance to the manufactures instructions,12.4.4, or approved methods.

For residential-type natural draft solid fuel-burning appliances,the flue should
meet the following conditions...
1.The cross sectional area of the flue shall not be less than the cross sectional area of the appliance flue collar,unless specified by the manufacturer.
2.The cross sectional area of the flue of a chimney with no walls exposed to the outside below the roof line shall not be more than 3 times the cross sectional area of the appliance flue collar.
3.The cross sectional area of the flue of a chimney with one or more walls exposed to the outside below the roofline shall not be more than two times the cross sectional area of the appliance flue collar.

I also know 2 or more furnaces may not be attached to the same flue unless they are connected by a single manifold.

Wood/gas or wood/oil can be vented in the same flue as long as the units are tested and listed to operate as such.Also the wood/gas must have a fume switch to recognise blockage or fuel spillage and it must be able to shut the unit down in this event.

In my opinion a well designed furnace and flue(safe) is worth the investment.
Cutting corners will only cost you in the end.

I hope this helps some...
NFPA 211 7.1.11.1
Masonry chimneys serving appliances shall be sized and configured in accordance to the manufactures instructions,12.4.4, or approved methods.

For residential-type natural draft solid fuel-burning appliances,the flue should
meet the following conditions...
1.The cross sectional area of the flue shall not be less than the cross sectional area of the appliance flue collar,unless specified by the manufacturer.
2.The cross sectional area of the flue of a chimney with no walls exposed to the outside below the roof line shall not be more than 3 times the cross sectional area of the appliance flue collar.
3.The cross sectional area of the flue of a chimney with one or more walls exposed to the outside below the roofline shall not be more than two times the cross sectional area of the appliance flue collar.

I also know 2 or more furnaces may not be attached to the same flue unless they are connected by a single manifold.

Wood/gas or wood/oil can be vented in the same flue as long as the units are tested and listed to operate as such.Also the wood/gas must have a fume switch to recognise blockage or fuel spillage and it must be able to shut the unit down in this event.

In my opinion a well designed furnace and flue(safe) is worth the investment.
Cutting corners will only cost you in the end.

Im just wondering if it would work. A lot of people are saying no, and a few are saying maybe.

The only thing that this idea has going for it is that the cross sectional area of the flue would be great than the cross sectional area of the two collars combined. That and I think it would help that they are at the same level, but at opposite sides of the existing chimney. Believe me, Im not going to try it unless I know it is OK.

Im just asking questions. I have learned a lot here, but one of the best things is to ask questions before I just do something. There is a lot of free advice here that I really apppreciate.:cheers:

I would reccomend against the 2 units in the same flue.
You would be better served with 1 furnace to heat the entire home vs a couple of stoves that heat only the room they are in and really cutting down on feeding them would be the biggest difference to going to 1 efficient wood furnace.

You also want a safe install which is why we look at the heating codes plus you want your insurance co. to approve the install.

I hope everything goes well for you.
CK

Latest posts

Back