Chisel or Semi-chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at it from the front of the tooth. If the shoulder is rounded it is semi-chisel. If it is square you have chisel and keep it out of dirty wood.

Another way to tell is to look at the top of the cutter. Some people call chisel flatop chain. Semi chisel is not flat on top because of that curve.

thanks

So if it is not a chisel then when sharpening I shouldn't have the file on a 10° angle right? Just level with the bar?

So if it is not a chisel then when sharpening I shouldn't have the file on a 10° angle right? Just level with the bar?

If you just forget the specifications and file to the original angles you will be OK. If you don't know the original angles then buy a new chain, same as you have and it will tell you. RS and RM chain from Stihl dealers have a nice mark on the top of the cutter to show you.:biggrinbounce2:

Chisel

semi chisel on most chains 30 degree angle with very little hook
full chisel on most chains 25 degree angle with deep hook
the above info is base on my personal trails with saw over the years
semi chisel is good for clean soft wood stays sharper longer
full chisel is good for clean or semi dirty soft wood does not stay as sharp very long
:cheers: :popcorn:

Back