Chopper 1 Axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmonnat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever use or know anything about this axe it is called the ''Copper 1 Axe. It has a couple of dogs that come out as you are splitting the wood to help spreed the wood apart. There is a vidio on there web site. It looks like it works good or should I just go buy a Fiskers Super Splitter. Everybody on here loves the Fiskers from what I am reading. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks again.

Grandpa had one when I was a kid, it didn't work on our hard wood. We cut the moving part off then tried it no go then trashed it. I'm just speaking for the one we had.

I have the Fiskers Super Splitter on order, I used one at a GTG last week.

Last edited:
Bought one at a garage sale for $1, didnt notice the small hairline crack in the handle were it attaches to the head. Tried it of course before I noticed crack, wasnt crazy about it though. Might split dry red oak just fine but what doesnt? Any way its put aside for now. REJ2

Yes ,I remember they sold them when I was a kid too. Forget why, but they didn't work, as was already mentioned. Haven't seen one for years.:)

Had one give to us last year, absolute POS, waste of time, use a regular splitting mall and forget you ever looked at it. Might be ok in pine, but not in hardwood.

it only works in perfect wood. youre better off with almost anything else. the little pins and springs like to wiggle loose and part company with the head too. good luck finding them in your wood pile.

i have one for a collector peice, but thats about all its worth.

Grandpa had one when I was a kid, it didn't work on our hard wood. We cut the moving part off then tried it no go then trashed it. I'm just speaking for the one we had.

I have the Fiskers Super Splitter on order, I used one at a GTG last week.

+1 on the Fiskars

Anybody ever use or know anything about this axe it is called the ''Copper 1 Axe. It has a couple of dogs that come out as you are splitting the wood to help spreed the wood apart. There is a vidio on there web site. It looks like it works good or should I just go buy a Fiskers Super Splitter. Everybody on here loves the Fiskers from what I am reading. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks again.

I remember our neighbor had one when I was a kid. He brought it over one day when I was splitting with the 8#er. He said, "here try this out!" I don't think it took me 5 min. to give it back to him and say, "I'd rather use wedges." Go with the Fiskars!

Chopper1

A friend gave me a head from one a few years ago...

I bought a new handle for it...

I wish I wouldn't have wasted the $8 and 10min putting it on...

IT IS POO...!

All you guys that don't like these Chopper 1's. Clean them up real good and put them on Ebay and you'll get about 50 bucks for them. I guess people who collect axes like them, because they are worthless for splitting wood. I have sold several on there that I have picked up at auctions and yard sales.

Not sure what the heck you people are talking about, but I have been at wood splitting & burning for over 40 years & I have an original Sears sold Chopper 1 axe & recently bought another because at 64 years old I worried about being able to buy another! Original is still like new with many years of use! It is the best splitting axe I have ever seen. Many I have shown it to-- are believers. A gentle chop results in a snapping spit! Very easy, very simple! Nay sayers are simply full of you know what! The BEST!!!

Pos....

My Grandfather had one of these Choppers and it was a real piece of JUNK. It has been sitting in the shed for years, so about 2 years or so ago I made a hookaroon out of it. I will say the cast head is made of some good material, to bad the design is a joke.

Craig

All you guys that don't like these Chopper 1's. Clean them up real good and put them on Ebay and you'll get about 50 bucks for them. I guess people who collect axes like them, because they are worthless for splitting wood. I have sold several on there that I have picked up at auctions and yard sales.

Id love to sell mine for that!

Not sure what the heck you people are talking about, but I have been at wood splitting & burning for over 40 years & I have an original Sears sold Chopper 1 axe & recently bought another because at 64 years old I worried about being able to buy another! Original is still like new with many years of use! It is the best splitting axe I have ever seen. Many I have shown it to-- are believers. A gentle chop results in a snapping spit! Very easy, very simple! Nay sayers are simply full of you know what! The BEST!!!
I agree - my dad and I have been using them since the late 70's and we each still use them regularly. Like most things it works very well on some wood, not so well on others. It's a good tool.

My wife just brought one home for me, it belonged to a coworkers father who just passed away. It's in excellent condition, I'll keep it as a conversation piece.

Attachments

• WP_20150112_001.jpg
    WP_20150112_001.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 23
  • WP_20150112_003.jpg
    WP_20150112_003.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 20
  • WP_20150112_004.jpg
    WP_20150112_004.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back