Christmas tree burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all new to the site but have been lurking for a while.
I have a CB 5038 and it has been great this winter so far -30 C and no gas used.

I was going to chop up the Christmas tree and throw it in there to get rid of it. Just worried about the flash of heat causing a chimney fire. Anybody burn their trees?

Every year I cut the branches off my tree for the burn barrel and burn the trunk in my wood stove. The little bit of green wood won't make a bit of difference when mixed with other wood. Burn it if you want to.

The weekend after new years a bunch of friends and family get together and have a Christmas tree bonfire, I highly recommend it, it's a fun time

Soak the Christmas Tree with old, used motor oil before burning.
The oil will retard the "flash" event just long enough to throw 1 or 2 old used tires in on top of the tree (tires may be soaked with oil also)... Then slam the door and get out'a the way.

Might as well throw some dynomite in while we are at it.:hmm3grin2orange:

better use

I'd say that while your bonfire may be fun...we take them to the local pond-lake and tie them to a cement block...when the ice melts...Whala...instant fish structure to be enjoyed all year...

sure you have the used-oil soaked-dynamite tree fire to enjoy for seconds but I can drink beer and pull crappies and gills from mine all summer...

Just a thought.

I'd say that while your bonfire may be fun...we take them to the local pond-lake and tie them to a cement block...when the ice melts...Whala...instant fish structure to be enjoyed all year...

sure you have the used-oil soaked-dynamite tree fire to enjoy for seconds but I can drink beer and pull crappies and gills from mine all summer...

Just a thought.

in both instances they are illegal here in Mn.
So why are fun things like that against the law? Come to Mn. on vacation andleave on probation.

OK, I took your suggestion on the oil.
Took a while to get that sucker lit.
Next year I'll let it soak longer.
Not sure if the oil helped keep the burn rate down, could not see the tree for the black smoke. There is a black stripe in my snow now leading over to the neighbor's place. He should be over soon to discuss next years tree and a few other things I'm sure.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

I have burned trees in the past but it had been a few years.
I took a match to mine last night and was again amazed at how fast it went up. It just scared me to think about it being in my livingroom moments ago.

We have had fresh cut trees for a few years and this year because of time and a huge rain storm tree day, we bought a imported tree from a local tree vender.

It was so dry. That is the last year I will buy that kind of tree.

Fresh cut form now on

in both instances they are illegal here in Mn.
So why are fun things like that against the law? Come to Mn. on vacation andleave on probation.

WHAT THE eff...that ain't even right...just think of all the money spent by "save the puppy and kitten" industry and you can't even give a fish a nice home??? What's this country coming to? I think you should start lobbying the state officials to think of the pan fish with no place to hide from pike and muskey...man that's sad.

too bad because that sunken cover makes for some really nice ice fishing the next year...

put it out in the woods for the little animals to make a home in :)
still have one from last year propped up against an old rotten oak on the ground, the birds love it

Back