Clean up vanish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller87t

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old Pioneer chainsaw that sat for many years with gas in the tank. The tank is full of varnish and crud. What is the best way to clean it up? Should I just look for another tank instead?
Thanks for any input.

Aerosol carb cleaner. Remove the tank and dump it, put on your SAFETY GLASSES ( carb spray will deflect directly towards your eyes EVERY time you don't wear them!) and spray it out. Stubborn spots may need to soak or use a small brush to loosen the crud. Replace ALL the fuel lines, no matter what they look like. Go through the carb with a carb kit and you will be good to go!

Varnish removal 101

The ONLY chemical that I have luck with cutting through old fuel varnish is denatured alcohol that can be purchased in hardware stores for cheap. Lacquer thinner and carb cleaners are a waste of time and money in my opinion. This stuff WILL WORK!!!
Bill

Perhaps the retired Texaco fuel engineer who told me to use laquer thinner was wrong. I doubt it.

Hey sedanman, I agree the laquer thinner works really well. Had to clean out neigbours mower tank, all I had at the time was laquer thinner.

Sedanman gave you the best answer. Go to the lumber yard or the auto paint store and buy yourself some lacquer thinner.

I don't know if they had baked on enamel on that saw or not. The thinner may cut the cosmetic paint but you can deal with that.

Lawnboy is right the denatured alcohol will do the job. Just pour it in the tank and let if set and pour you troubles out. No scraping or brushing. Later Butch

Nothing I`ve used for carbs beats Wal Mart brand carb cleaner, and at $.78 a can you can`t go wrong. Having the pressurized can with the tube for the nozzle really makes carb cleaning simple. Russ

I'd be hesitant about putting carb cleaner or lacquer thinner raw into the tank. There goes the sealer and rubber parts.

Berrymans B-12 Chem tool is the best spray solvent I have ever used. I used it to devarnish the fueltank and carb on a 82 rm 250 last night that had been sitting since 83 with fuel in it. It cut through all the crud and varnish, just dont get it in your eyes. Hurts like hell.

I have used acetone before on metal tanks that have a strong varnish in them from 2-stroke fuel that has evaporated away. I don't know how advisable it would be on a plastic tank.

I can deal with varnish. I need to find the best way of getting rid of rust. I have used the "fill it with nuts" technique with marginal success. I have serveral engines that have been sitting with untreated gas and have rust in the tanks now. I stoped by one of our local shops that boil radiators and asked him about removing rust. He told me for $35 he could sell me a quart of liquid liner.

Bill

Bill
I have had good luck removing rust from small tanks.Try making it about half full of 1B stones.Find a nice hardware store that has a paint shaker.Attach the tank on there with 2 large hose clamps and let it do the work for you.You will be amazed at the results.
Later
Dan

I have had good results with Muratic acid/ HCl. Remove the tank, degrease with a detergent, treat with the acid, swirl and keep and eye on the foaming action. The acid will react with the rust much faster than the "clean steel" repeat as nessasary. When it looks clean rinse with a baking soda soultion, re-rinse and dry throughly. usually the tanks have just surface rust.

Back