Clean ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been sold on the 30" plastic rakes for about the the past few years (not the cheap ones). We go through about 3-4 a year and they seem to do fine. The idea on the tape with the rake may become a possiblity.

Also use the Power-trac bucket on alot of jobs. Saves alot of time..otherwise, large plastic (35 Gallon trash can) is used.

Tarps seem to get very heavy very quickly when debris is placed on them.

Originally posted by Menchhofer
Tarps seem to get very heavy very quickly when debris is placed on them.

They can and do. The trick for me is to pull it up the rear of the trailer either on the ramps, or on some 2x12's. That makes it real easy.

When we clean up stumps we use a plastic trash can, as they stand up better to the weight, or a wheel barrow, or both.

Carl

The big plastic rakes do have their uses. They can get things really clean and are good for picking up fines-undoubtably moreso when modded ala TM. However, if you want to clean up fast, move large quantities of material quickly and effectively pick junk out of the rocked beds without carrying off a ton of rock, then a steel tined rake with a heavy head is the right tool.

We used to go buy the $20 fibergl??? handle rakes from Lowe's but we have almost completley switched to the $5 from Walmart. Definately steel tines. Have used the plastic 'things' from Sears and they were decent when they were new but quickly wore down and stunk in dead wood situations.

As for the tarp idea, we have one in just about every truck. 6'x8' is just about the right size to not load up to heavy.

When im teaching a newbie about cleanup, i like to tell them to clean up the yard like they would want their own cleaned up if they were the ones paying big $. sometimes it works. As for raking, I almost prefer to do it. As they say, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

about the gas broom. I have used one a few times, I think it was a stihl.. if you use it on pavement be prepared to wear whatever it is you are sweeping, the bristle type (vs. the paddle type) would probably be reasonable on turf but you would have to be careful with the amount of pressure you put on it to the ground, it would probably thresh the ground just nice if you put weight on it. on a personaly note, I was working for a guy that got one thrown in on an insurance claim order of a few 1000 bucks as a thanks, he would rev the heck out of it and hit the ground at full throttle, he was hilarious, just covered in mud splats after doing the parking lot.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
We took down a very dead, very huge Cottonwood on to tall frozen gra$$, and spent hours raking. That job got us talking about a machine that could take on this task. Anyone use a gas powered broom?

I have a Shindaiwa power broom and use it on some jobs, depending on what we are cutting. I always use it on stump grinding jobs. It will take just about every little piece of wood chip out of the lawn far better than a blower. You can't beat it if the debris are wet. It will sweep about as fast as you can walk and clean it better than any amount of raking on one sweep. If you buy the multi attachment power head, you can quick change to line trimmer, hedge trimmer, power broom, chanin saw and I think they even have a blower attachment (I know Echo does) that would be very useful for clearing out leaves under shrubbery.
I have the line trimmer and hedge attachment for mine.

As far as rakes go, I use the Walmart steel tines rakes which I have found to last longer than the Union and Ames rakes. I pay $4.49 each here and buy a dozen at a time. They will usually last me about 4 months each. I normally carry 3 rakes in the truck.

Edited to change two words which came out with ??? instead of letters. G r a s s and p a s s. Are they on some kind of banned list of words?

Last edited:
tarps and rakes

YOU ALL HAVE IT CORRECT . I THINK WE ALL HATE RAKING, SEAMS AS IF IT WILL NEVER END. TOOK OUT TWO 102' PINES, CLEANED UP A LITTLE AS WE WENT. WHAT A MESS LOT OF SAW CHIPS. PLASTIC RAKES ARE OK . BUT WHEN WE BUCK UP LARGER STUFF WE LAY A TARP DOWN BEFORE WE CUT IT DOWN ,THEN BUCK IT UP . ITS AMASING HOW MUTCH TIME IS SAVES ,JUST SHOVEL WOOD CHIPS IN TRUCK FOLD TARP YOU ARE DONE. THE STUFF THAT GETS AWAY WE USE ONE OF THE ELETRIC BLOWER VACS RUN OFF A POWER INVERTOR FROM TRUCK (DONT USE CUST POWER JUST DOESNT LOOK TO GOOD TO USE THERE POWER).

Tarps vs raking

Tarps are what I consider one of my 'secret weapons'. I've always had a number of different sizes, all heavy duty, all gray. Made it confusing for my occasional helper.

This season, actually, it was one of my two New Year's resolutions, was to create a no-brainer system for defining which size was which size. I used to use a fat marker and mark all the corners with the dimensions of that tarp. Ink would wear off in a short time and I was right back where I started.

Realizing that only the bigger tarps need to be heavy duty, the smaller ones can be lighter. They're cheap and more expendable than the big ones, and you don't put heavy loads on them because they're too small to get much on them (disincluding rain-soaked sawdust). Here's what I've come up with:

6 x 8 at least two.... blue.... from anywhere.
12 x 16 two......orange... from U-Haul
20 x 30 two.... green 'farm duty', ... Northern Hydraulics
30 x 40 Grey heavy duty Lowes, Farm and Fleet, etc

I also have grey 8 x 10's which are hard to confuse with the big mondo 30 x 40, and is more or less dedicated to the zone right between the chipper and the back of the truck.;)

One last tarp I have is a light-duty 10 x 40 (blue one side, green the other) that I use sometimes to cover bushes, or on narrow driveways.

Most of the time I use tarps, sometimes I don't. Depends on the job. I've never regretted using tarps, only regretted when I hadn't. Windy days can make them a frustrating headache. On snow-covered ground, they're a godsend as they skid quite well, and, have you ever tried to rake sticks out of snow....?.

I've gotten a lot of jobs because of the tarps. They make you stand out. Tarps are good advertising. They show to the passing community you care about low-impact care to the client's lawn, when really, you're intent is to speed your cleanup and keep your rake time down....

oh, you can still rake if you're so inclined. Raking material, and dragging brush across a tarp is actually easier than across lawn as you're overcoming friction by creating an artificial smooth surface. Raking sawdust is never an easy thing. If it's on a tarp, it becomes a non-event.

Last thing, it helps to pin the corners of the tarps down, especially if there's wind. I used to use fiberglass tent stakes, but they're kinda hard to find, and cost money. I used to use sticks I'd find on site, and jam them through a hole I'd created near the corner grommets. Now I've refined it to two ways, which I combine with each other. Mini biners for the corner grommets, work great to attach to chain link fence or a branch on a bush, and then the greatest revelation I've yet found..... chopsticks. You get them at Chinese market, or grocery store, Oriental section They cost ~ $2 for a hundred pair, and the'yr custo-designed for this task. You can fit one pair through a grommet, But I find splitting the pair, and using one single chopstick per grommet, just the corners, push them into the ground at an angle opposing the tarp's direction. This means pinning down one tarp costs you about two cents. They go through the chipper quite well once used, and I had a pack of 100 last me most of the Summer. -TM-

TM,
You can also use them to eat your lunch in case you forgot to bring a fork or spoon. :D We eat with chopsticks quite a bit in Hawaii. All oriental restaurants here will give you chopsticks unless you ask for a fork.

Speaking of tarps, I had thought about using them for something other than clean-up a while back. I had pondered using a 2 or 3 layered tarp system to cover cars or other valuables which might be nearby the work area. My thought was to put 1 tarp over the car which never gets used for anything else. Then put a piece of burlap over that tarp. Then put another tarp on top of the burlap.

I can and usually do break a plastic rake a couple of days after I buy it. The metal tines work much better than plastic in my opinion. I've used tarps and love them for nasty stuff like palm trees, but for just leaves normal trimming and removals we rake piles and come by with the wheel barrel and pick em up and make a large pile for the loader to pick up. The loader does a good job of picking up piles of leaves and on the final grab we leave it about 3 feet off the ground rake under it and then stuff it in from the top.
---You could have done the whole removal like a complete amature, but if you leave that yard spotless they will think you are the best tree guy in the world.
Greg

Originally posted by Greg

---You could have done the whole removal like a complete amature, but if you leave that yard spotless they will think you are the best tree guy in the world.
Greg

Ain't that a fact, Greg!

Back in my raking days, the cheap $5 rakes(from Wal-Mart, like KM said) worked best for me. I would hold two at once when working out stump grindings. The only problem was heavy-handed GM busting the handle in half.
But at five bucks a pop, they ain't so bad.

I use the $3.97 steel tine rakes from Wal Mart. They work as well as the $17.00 rakes from Home Depot. I buy ten at a time which last for two years or so. That's where I get my bar oil too.

Yeah, W-Mart rocks, thats for sure.

I heard somehere that they will give you a lifetime discount if you let them tattoo three numbers on you somewhere...
aaf_twisted.gif

The rake and tarp method work for me also. I use a 30" plastic rake and an 8x10' tarp. I found that raking up chips and stump grindings into a 30 gal. trash can is easier to handle. I can use a 2 wheel dolly to push it to the truck. The grindings and chips tend to be too heavy for a tarp. The handles on trash cans give you something to grab on to. But for brush the tarp is the only way to go.

Metal rakes are the only way to go. I usually bend the end of the tines to a sharper angle(close to 90 degrees). I find that helps grab debris better as I rake TOWARDS THE TRUCK.

Back