Cleaning a solid foam air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm cleaning and tuning a 2003 Craftsman 40cc saw that I'm pretty sure is a black Poulan WildThing. It's air filter is just a solid hunk of green foam. To clean it, I was thinking about simply washing it in hot soapy water (Dawn dish soap), rinsing well, and letting it air dry. Is there a better/recommended method for cleaning it?

I used to buy PJ1 foam filter cleaner, back when I used to race. I used to spray the foam filter down on my race bike, that stuff was like magic. Rinse out, let dry and back on.
Your method will work too, it may need ot soak depending how saturated with crud it is...

That should work to clean it. See if you can find a copy of an owner's manual. Most filters such as these need to be oiled but not sure about that application. I usually clean my dirty filters in some gasoline.

I used to buy PJ1 foam filter cleaner, back when I used to race. I used to spray the foam filter down on my race bike, that stuff was like magic. Rinse out, let dry and back on.
Your method will work too, it may need ot soak depending how saturated with crud it is...

That sounds like a great product. I'll look for a can.

That should work to clean it. See if you can find a copy of an owner's manual. Most filters such as these need to be oiled but not sure about that application. I usually clean my dirty filters in some gasoline.

LOL, I'm usually the guy to tell folks to RTFM! You reminded me that I do indeed have the manual. After checking it, it says to clean in hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly in cold, let dry, and then lightly oil it before reinstalling.

Thanks to both of you for your input. :cheers:

The PJ-1 filter oil works well for foam filters too. I use it or the Klotz products on all my foam filters, though buying it for that one filter might be a little expensive, as it's around $10 a can.

Back