Cleaning flocked Stihl filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
farmhard

farmhard

ArboristSite Operative
Why do people use Dawn detergent .Is it because it is so weak and thus does less damage than ones that work better on grease like Sunlight.
Not trying to start a soap war but would really like to know why.
Kash

I would say Dawn is mild yet gets the grease off. They use it on ducsk, birds etc. after oil spills. I can't say Sunlight is any better or worse. Use what you have on hand.
I did however use Dawn in the shop for hand washing and it seemed to me to work better than some other brands but that is opinion and subjective.
Just stay away from the amonia and degreasers like Superkleen because some of them have acids that will destroy magnesium and like I said earlier will dissolve rubber nitrile etc over time.
Also if you have a bad filter soak it upside down so the dirt falls out not in.

Doug H

Doug H

ArboristSite Lurker
I have an older model 024 that had a flocked air filter in bad shape. I didn't want to pay $25 +$5 shipping for an OEM filter, so i removed all the remaining flocking and cleaned the filter inside and out. Then I stuffed it into the toe of a 99 cent panty hose, stretched it around the filter and tied it into a tight knot on the bottom. Cut off the excess, then cut two tiny holes in the center of the aluminum screws and stretched it over the screw heads. Cut a tiny hole on the tip of the choke lever and pushed the hose down over the lever. I left the hose over the carb mouth opening on the back as it would be too hard to make it dust tight. It acts as one extra filter screen anyway. Looks OK, works great with no air flow restriction and stops the sawdust and dirt. Brush it off with a soft brush when dirty. You get 2 filters for 99 cents, beats $30! Sorry, they won't let me post a photo.

Doug H

Doug H

ArboristSite Lurker
Here's the photos for the 024 air filter fix.

Attachments

• Stihl 024 air filter repair 002.JPG
    Stihl 024 air filter repair 002.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • Stihl 024 air filter repair 001.JPG
    Stihl 024 air filter repair 001.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Stihl 024 air filter repair 005.JPG
    Stihl 024 air filter repair 005.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
purdyite

purdyite

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
For all you dishwasher pirates...when it starts making a little noise, take the lead and buy a replacement. (You're thinking of her.) Take the old one to the workshop/mancave/he-man woman-haters clubhouse and plumb it in. I got one next to the laundry sink in my shop and everybody's happy!

thomasinvancouver

thomasinvancouver

ArboristSite Operative
I just use the factory filters. Have a few extras and throw them out after a dozen washes. Tap out the loose dirt and swish them around in a bowl of hot soapy water. Filters do need to be replaced. They don’t last forever.