Client expectations vs Reality: "Cut Stump Flush to Grade"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our proposal language uses "Remove tree and cut stump flush to grade. All debris will be chipped and hauled off site." Would you mind sharing the way you describe stump cuts in your proposals and/or terms and conditions that give client's realistic expectations? The terminology "flush to grade" isn't ideal.

Also, sorry if this post is more appropriate for the Business Management forum, but it's kinda ghost town over there.

"leave stump cut low to ground" and "haul away all wood and debris"
Yeah, I agree. Keep it simple. the boss-man likes to make things specific. downside is that it can make things complicated. I was considering adding this additional language to our contract terms and conditions: "Stumps will be cut within (6) six inches to grade level, or as close to flush with grade as is safely possible for both equipment and operator."

Yeah, I agree. Keep it simple. the boss-man likes to make things specific. downside is that it can make things complicated. I was considering adding this additional language to our contract terms and conditions: "Stumps will be cut within (6) six inches to grade level, or as close to flush with grade as is safely possible for both equipment and operator."
I like that. The more specific the better.

No stump grind.
Jeff :dancing:
It was a beautiful day!
No stump grinding, it's always listed as an additional item. Our contract states "Unless specified in the proposal, stump removal is not included in the price quoted for a tree removal.Grindings from stump removal are not removed unless specified on the proposal. Surface and subsurface roots beyond the stump are not removed unless specified on the proposal." and that we are "not responsible for damages to underground sprinklers, drain lines, invisible fences or underground cables unless the system(s) are adequately and accurately mapped by the customer and a copy is presented before or at the time the work is performed." also a bit about how stump grinding is contingent on MissDig's verification that the stump clears ground utilities by a minimum of 48".

No stump grinding, it's always listed as an additional item. Our contract states "Unless specified in the proposal, stump removal is not included in the price quoted for a tree removal.Grindings from stump removal are not removed unless specified on the proposal. Surface and subsurface roots beyond the stump are not removed unless specified on the proposal." and that we are "not responsible for damages to underground sprinklers, drain lines, invisible fences or underground cables unless the system(s) are adequately and accurately mapped by the customer and a copy is presented before or at the time the work is performed." also a bit about how stump grinding is contingent on MissDig's verification that the stump clears ground utilities by a minimum of 48".
👍

Our proposal language uses "Remove tree and cut stump flush to grade. All debris will be chipped and hauled off site." Would you mind sharing the way you describe stump cuts in your proposals and/or terms and conditions that give client's realistic expectations? The terminology "flush to grade" isn't ideal.

Also, sorry if this post is more appropriate for the Business Management forum, but it's kinda ghost town over there.
I flush stumps when ever my clients request it, and I always suggest it in manicured yards.

I can usually get an up to 4' dia stump down to almost grade level ( in a flat yard ) as I've been doing it for many many years, I have a knack for it. ( It's easier with a half wrap handle )

I also bevel the edges by flipping the bar and cutting the edges with the top of the bar while the saw resting on my knee.

Example: left hand on the throttle / trigger, right hand on the wrap handle, saw power head on my left knee, cutting with the top of the bar in a clockwise / circle direction.

I hope that is helpful

I flush stumps when ever my clients request it, and I always suggest it in manicured yards.

I can usually get an up to 4' dia stump down to almost grade level ( in a flat yard ) as I've been doing it for many many years, I have a knack for it. ( It's easier with a half wrap handle )

I also bevel the edges by flipping the bar and cutting the edges with the top of the bar while the saw resting on my knee.

Example: left hand on the throttle / trigger, right hand on the wrap handle, saw power head on my left knee, cutting with the top of the bar in a clockwise / circle direction.

I hope that is helpful
It's a technique that takes finesse for sure. Sounds like you've got it down to a science. since our crew is a lot greener than it's been in decades, i'm tempering client expectations. We offer stump grinding, so if a stump is unsightly to them, I gently let them know that's how to solve the issue.

In our proposals, we describe stump cuts as "cutting to low stump" or "cutting to stump level, which is around 6 inches from the ground." This way, we avoid grinding massive stumps for free and provide realistic expectations to our clients. It's important to be clear about the terminology and communicate effectively.

That works well, but is kinda imprecise. That's more than a good excuse to just leave it at 6" and run.

I usually quote "will be cut low enough for mowers to pass over without incurring damage." Or perhaps just tell then it will be cut low enough to allow stump grinding without requiring any additional chainsaw time to complete.

Lol, let’s not overthink it! I have always found “flush cut stumps” to be sufficient. It’s usually something talked about on the estimate, and I am quick to explain that stump grinding is another, entirely different service. The ones worth taking usually comprehend this.

Flush is a luxury. It's easy on a flat well kept lawn, but on uneven broken ground when the base flares out and the dirt is climbing up between the roots, it's a pain in the ass.

Get yourself an (expensive) carbide tooth saw chain and cut them at grade level. Of course you'll need a diamond wheel to sharpen them (what firefighters use to cut roofs when fighting fires), or invest in a stump grinder and quote the job complete. Nothing uglier than a nasty old stump in a well groomed yard. Yes, I own a stump grinder...lol

Back