Client expectations vs Reality: "Cut Stump Flush to Grade"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but the person who tries it for the first time based on your post may not be so lucky. I would never suggest dangerous activity with a chainsaw.

It's all about what one is comfortable with. Bucking rounds, especially BIG rounds, is often easier one handed. Cutting over one's head, even fully extended, is often a necessity.

Know your trees, know your cuts and where they'll hinge and land, know your tool, know your body, know your health and comfort.

It's all about what one is comfortable with. Bucking rounds, especially BIG rounds, is often easier one handed. Cutting over one's head, even fully extended, is often a necessity.

Know your trees, know your cuts and where they'll hinge and land, know your tool, know your body, know your health and comfort.
Agreed. One reason I wouldn't suggest it is if the person is injured doing it, they could turn around and sue me. Juries can be made to believe anything.

What I do, if I have a large stump grind job (that the stump is appreciably larger than my bar is, I'll rip the stump vertically and then cross cut it to the vertical cut. I use tungsten carbide chain loops for that because they are impervious to dirt for the most part. Problem is, like stump grinder teeth, you have to sharpen them with a diamond impregnated sharpening wheel (which I have). Diamond Wheels sells them just like the offer the CBN grinding wheels that I use on normal chains. I gave up long ago on dressing red stone wheels constantly. The Diamond Wheel CBN sharpening wheels will run around 800 to 1000 20" loops and all you have to do is clean them with the supplied cleaning bar.

Real easy and real quick, plus the CBN wheels won't burn a tooth on regular chains. I won't use anything else and I sharpen lots of chains (and chipper knives) for all the .local tree outfits.

With the price of loops getting stupid, just makes sense to sharpen them. Unlike most sharpeners I don't remove stupid amounts of tooth either, just enough to bring the teeth back to the correct angle. The guys I sharpen for appreciate that.

I have one grinder just for sharpening teeth and another set up for dropping rakers. I have a large stack of red stone wheels if anyone wants them, all you have to do is pay the postage....

Your mileage may vary but I know what my mileage is...

Back