Climber hurt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a great cincher who has learned to mitigate tall obstructions but to be honest even it it cinched up partially it would have been better than this out come. Remember if the limb snaps gravity would tighten the loop. If he only was relying on one limb, my guess is it was the first so likely the obstruction clause would not be plausible ehh? The bottom line is, something was done improper, likely trying to meet expectations placed on management production requirements. Moss many times I have seen no suitable multi- limb set up I took the necessary precautions or my 27 year accident free record would not be. I know you enjoy climbing but I have built my life on it.

Just to confirm, this company only does residential/commercial work, no utility clearance work. Having watched their crews from time to time, they don't appear to have a lot of production pressure on them.

Moss many times I have seen no suitable multi- limb set up I took the necessary precautions or my 27 year accident free record would not be. I know you enjoy climbing but I have built my life on it.

Definitely! On all accounts. Can't always get multiple limbs. I'm not a spar cinchmaster so when that happens the limb has to be bomb-proof. I'm never totally happy doing a long conifer ascent on a single limb with a trunk anchor, at least not until I reach the limb.
-AJ

UPDATE:

Went an saw my buddy the other night, he is doing awesome. Has been in the hospitol for a month and half now. He should be in the rehab for another 2 weeks then he can leave and hopefully start working again (light duty).

BC WESTCOAST- I can assure you there is high pressue working for this company as a crew leader. Ive been there and done it, everything is numbers & production there.

stay safe.

Definitely! On all accounts. Can't always get multiple limbs. I'm not a spar cinchmaster so when that happens the limb has to be bomb-proof. I'm never totally happy doing a long conifer ascent on a single limb with a trunk anchor, at least not until I reach the limb.
-AJ

If I was to climb only your way I would get a very good pull test on any one limb setup and let my lanyard climb with me. I had a supervisor once call a safety lanyard a chicken strap in which case I told him, better a live chicken than a dead dummy. He never liked me after that but he also said one day to a new hire, if you do this long enough you will fall and I called him on it again; telling the new guy there is nothing saying you have to fall, this guy was a real work of art for a super:rolleyes:

UPDATE:

Went an saw my buddy the other night, he is doing awesome. Has been in the hospitol for a month and half now. He should be in the rehab for another 2 weeks then he can leave and hopefully start working again (light duty).

BC WESTCOAST- I can assure you there is high pressue working for this company as a crew leader. Ive been there and done it, everything is numbers & production there.

stay safe.

Yup it happens bro tell em to f-o I have it's not them in the tree!

If I was to climb only your way I would get a very good pull test on any one limb setup and let my lanyard climb with me. I had a supervisor once call a safety lanyard a chicken strap in which case I told him, better a live chicken than a dead dummy. He never liked me after that but he also said one day to a new hire, if you do this long enough you will fall and I called him on it again; telling the new guy there is nothing saying you have to fall, this guy was a real work of art for a super:rolleyes:

Same here. I've had two or three tell me that I used a lanyard too much. Their belief was that you should not tie in at all with a lanyard until you reached your primary TIP. I followed that rule until one of my friends fell 10' while spiking a large diameter tree and ended up paralyzed from the waist down at 22 years old.

Same here. I've had two or three tell me that I used a lanyard too much. Their belief was that you should not tie in at all with a lanyard until you reached your primary TIP. I followed that rule until one of my friends fell 10' while spiking a large diameter tree and ended up paralyzed from the waist down at 22 years old.

I was a rebel at the gate they were not in the tree and I do whatever it took to make me safe or I would not be climbing now.

Geez, what a dirt bag! Seen guys around here that will free climb all the way to their TIP, Climbing line clipped to the back of the saddle and no lanyard. Also seen them foot lock 10ft away from the trunk on a branch that has nothing below to catch the line if the branch breaks!
Live chicken,dead dummy, gonna use that!

Update:
He has regained his mobility and speech almost 100%. So good to hear.

My take on the situation, it could have happened to anyone. This climber knows his stuff, and in my opinion made an error in judgment not unlike any of us make during the work week. This time around it cost him big.

Rather than commenting on his integrity, abilities or workplace behaviour, why not take a second to consider something we all can take away from this incident -- No $200 job is worth your life. Check and double check your systems and the structure before, during and after. Build a routine that reduces your exposure, practice it and encourage others to get on board.

Not to take sides or anything, but until you've had reasonable production pressure on setting a solid line in a tall Doug or Western Red, you have no idea what you're up against. The structure, density and heights is one of the biggest dangers we face in the PNW, not SRT.

Update:
He has regained his mobility and speech almost 100%. So good to hear.

My take on the situation, it could have happened to anyone. This climber knows his stuff, and in my opinion made an error in judgment not unlike any of us make during the work week. This time around it cost him big.

Rather than commenting on his integrity, abilities or workplace behaviour, why not take a second to consider something we all can take away from this incident -- No $200 job is worth your life. Check and double check your systems and the structure before, during and after. Build a routine that reduces your exposure, practice it and encourage others to get on board.

Not to take sides or anything, but until you've had reasonable production pressure on setting a solid line in a tall Doug or Western Red, you have no idea what you're up against. The structure, density and heights is one of the biggest dangers we face in the PNW, not SRT.

Rep sent but in all honesty... You have no idea what we all face working anywhere in this country... What, you think the PNW is the only place where we face production challenges in risky trees??? Get a grip chompy...

Glad to hear the climber is making a good recovery!

Geez, what a dirt bag! Seen guys around here that will free climb all the way to their TIP, Climbing line clipped to the back of the saddle and no lanyard. Also seen them foot lock 10ft away from the trunk on a branch that has nothing below to catch the line if the branch breaks!
Live chicken,dead dummy, gonna use that!

Guess I forgot to mention he fell 20' and had a permanent limp:monkey: I suppose he was a bit older school but heck they had buckstraps in his day a 50 dollar or even homemade lanyard may have saved him from the limp! I can't afford to get hurt I know it could happen but I am real careful.

Last edited:
LOL, I was Merry Christmasing last night and may have had a beer or two... No offense. ;)

BTW, I have much respect for the guys who climb the big PNW trees everyday... Tough job for sure.

Old Scrooge is getting in the Christmas spirit. Once the booze wears off you start realize that you might be a bit of a d bag. You, OD and tree vet produce half the negative posts on this site and that ain't much to be proud of. Hope the new year brings you all wealth, little more work and a better attitude.
I know its hard to conceive but these trees present a unique challenge that only guys in the pnw can relate too. Until you have experienced it first hand just read and learn, leave the comments to the guys with the experience.

Old Scrooge is getting in the Christmas spirit. Once the booze wears off you start realize that you might be a bit of a d bag. You, OD and tree vet produce half the negative posts on this site and that ain't much to be proud of. Hope the new year brings you all wealth, little more work and a better attitude.
I know its hard to conceive but these trees present a unique challenge that only guys in the pnw can relate too. Until you have experienced it first hand just read and learn, leave the comments to the guys with the experience.

Lmfao what evea:monkey:

LOL, I don't think I've ever seen you make a post that was not derogatory or negative...

Merry Christmas!

Lmfao what evea:monkey:

Rope, I thought you were a backwoods Arkansas tree hillbilly in his mid fifty's, not a fifteen year old Californian valley girl. What evea LOL,OMG, ROFL.
All jokes aside you all make this site great, just lighten up on the personal negativity.

Rope, I thought you were a backwoods Arkansas tree hillbilly in his mid fifty's, not a fifteen year old Californian valley girl. What evea LOL,OMG, ROFL.
All jokes aside you all make this site great, just lighten up on the personal negativity.

Like , sure tell ya what big guy come down hea to Arkansas I let you peek under my dress:love1:

Back