Climber Interviews, OMG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, Here the work release program does tree work. It's supposed to be a rehab but it's really just a place where they put guys to work and take their money instead of sending them to prison. It's supposed to "teach them a trade" but the crew leaders are hacks that spike everything. You can hire one of their crews for $750 for the day. That's a 5 man crew. I talk to them everyday at the green waste. They have several crews.

SOM, I quit right after I had my surgery so the morphine helped for the first 2 weeks. The patches do help though. They just make you have weird dreams.

The best one was the day release prison gang doing some work near the prison..."hey i need a jawb when i get out...hook me up willya, call my cousin at Parks where I used to work, for a reference..."

Are you KIDDING me!?

Well, if he doesn't get a job from somebody, then his only options for income are the illegal kind and he goes right back where he just got out of.

Ha, Here the work release program does tree work. It's supposed to be a rehab but it's really just a place where they put guys to work and take their money instead of sending them to prison. It's supposed to "teach them a trade" but the crew leaders are hacks that spike everything. You can hire one of their crews for $750 for the day. That's a 5 man crew. I talk to them everyday at the green waste. They have several crews.

SOM, I quit right after I had my surgery so the morphine helped for the first 2 weeks. The patches do help though. They just make you have weird dreams.

ah crap they cant be worse then the ones I have already.

Well, if he doesn't get a job from somebody, then his only options for income are the illegal kind and he goes right back where he just got out of.

Yeah but my reputation is the only thing I have. I tell you this, though; if I were told by his parole officer or, if I somehow knew he was really trying to change, I would not hesitate to give him the opportunity. I won't tolerate thieves around me and certainly wont hire one.

I see the tree industry as one that is fighting to overcome a stereotype of tobacco spitting rednecks trying to make a living. I personally believe that professionalism is important in any business including arboriculture. However, it can be taken into the overkill zone. Certification is a good thing but it is not something that should be over-emphasized. I believe that professionalism is more important than certification!!

Agreed! Certification is good for 2 reasons, and 2 reasons only (at least when hiring a prospective employee - or in customers eyes).. It is beneficial in doing everyday job - give a more rounded knowledge level, and more confidence (which can also lead to better professionalism in round about way!)

1) It does demonstrate that the individual has some level of understanding of aboriculture, does not mean they know how to apply it fully. But to retain certification does require some effort, so from that perspective can be good.

2) Helps with some customers, who may believe that somebody certified is somehow better than somebody who is not. Frankly for many removals it does not make a lot of difference (maybe for a pruning job.. but then experience is about as good). But professionalism, communications skills, cleanliness, knowledge in general work habits and safety all carry weight in my opinion as well.

But.. don't get me wrong.. fully support ISA, and suggest that anybody and everybody study as much aboriculture as possible. The more you know the better person you will become, you should try to learn at least one new thing each day. The day you stop learning.. is the day you start dying (in my opinion).

Last edited:
Agreed! Certification is good for 2 reasons, and 2 reasons only.

1) It does demonstrate that the individual has some level of understanding of aboriculture, does not mean they know how to apply it fully. But to retain certification does require some effort, so from that perspective can be good.

2) Helps with some customers, who may believe that somebody certified is somehow better than somebody who is not. Frankly for many removals it does not make a lot of difference (maybe for a pruning job.. but then experience is about as good). But professionalism, communications skills, cleanliness, knowledge in general work habits and safety all carry weight in my opinion as well.

Sooooo would that mean Apical dominance,phototropism,species characteristics,growth rate,annual rain fall,infiltration rate, soil structure and texture and tree's history need to be factored in for each trim done?

Sooooo would that mean Apical dominance,phototropism,species characteristics,growth rate,annual rain fall,infiltration rate, soil structure and texture and tree's history need to be factored in for each trim done?

Personally I would say no.. you are only talking a trim here. There are some other aspects that are covered in the study material and exam which can be relevant to a trim. But, again, these can also be learned first hand with on the job training. In fact as I stated, having the certification, does not necessarily mean somebody can apply it nor does it make one better than somebody who is not certified. It is however a good benchmark or measure, and frankly one of the few unbiased benchmarks we have in the industry that we can all relate to and understand globally. Now there are several levels of certification as well, and for doing just a trim something like the Tree Worker certification would more than suffice in my opinion (but again to qualify one can get same level of knowledge - or surpass that level - by on the job training and work experience).

I might add that when I started this work, we pruned and trimmed trees just about as well as anybody can do today (trees haven't changed much :) ). And we never even heard of certification at that point. So.. not necessary.. can do without and just as good a job. But a very good.. in fact likely the best benchmark of measurement available to us.

I like number 3 the best - (time off to go to court). Some of the best climbers I know have extensive criminal records. Great guys and very professional, but have a thing about getting in trouble. Always thought it just goes with the attitude for the job.

You're right, one of the best climbers I've ever sen didn't even have a driver's license. He drove his truck into a bar after an argument with the owner!

I had a young climber working for me who got busted for pot or something, I can't remember, something not too serious. I gave him another chance as he was a decent worker and I liked him. He worked one day then went back to jail for stealing a car. That was it, I let him go. He still calls me periodically to this day wanting to see if I'll hire him back.

I don't necessarily hold it against someone for getting busted or having a record but I cannot afford to have a thief around me. Stealing is one thing that is a deal breaker with me.

Stealing is one thing that is a deal breaker with me.

Can't disagree there. Have not had may issues recently, but back in mid-80's I did have a couple of guys who had some sort of substance abuse issues. Never got in trouble with law that I know of though. But there were days they would not show up for work. Some of best workers you could ask for when they were there, but somedays you just had to go on without them. Down one guy is usually not a job stopper, but can put a wrench into things, and if it happens a lot is a real pita.

I am fortunate that all the guys working for me now have no substance abuse issues. One of my guys is totally sober. The rest of us drink a little beer but none of us do drugs. If I catch wind of anyone working for me doing speed or coke I will drop them like a hot potato. Those are the ones that will usually steal.

Personally I would say no.. you are only talking a trim here. There are some other aspects that are covered in the study material and exam which can be relevant to a trim. But, again, these can also be learned first hand with on the job training. In fact as I stated, having the certification, does not necessarily mean somebody can apply it nor does it make one better than somebody who is not certified. It is however a good benchmark or measure, and frankly one of the few unbiased benchmarks we have in the industry that we can all relate to and understand globally. Now there are several levels of certification as well, and for doing just a trim something like the Tree Worker certification would more than suffice in my opinion (but again to qualify one can get same level of knowledge - or surpass that level - by on the job training and work experience).

I might add that when I started this work, we pruned and trimmed trees just about as well as anybody can do today (trees haven't changed much :) ). And we never even heard of certification at that point. So.. not necessary.. can do without and just as good a job. But a very good.. in fact likely the best benchmark of measurement available to us.

I would say yes but then until a healthy site and atmosphere conducive to healthy plant growth is established any pruning is taking reserve energy from the specimen. Apical dominance and photo tropism has to be understood to get a desirable result in trimming but what do I know, I am not certified after 28 years in the business:monkey:

Yeah but my reputation is the only thing I have. I tell you this, though; if I were told by his parole officer or, if I somehow knew he was really trying to change, I would not hesitate to give him the opportunity. I won't tolerate thieves around me and certainly wont hire one.

Fair enough...

The guy I was talking about just yelled it out in the middle of the road...someone comes from prison with a proper approach through the work release or parole programme...then we can at least talk...otherwise...:popcorn:

Fair enough...

The guy I was talking about just yelled it out in the middle of the road...someone comes from prison with a proper approach through the work release or parole programme...then we can at least talk...otherwise...:popcorn:

I fully concur Bermie, its just being prudent to guard your reputation. It really depends on many circumstances but being a felon is not 100% no hire, I mean for all I know he killed a child molester. I would hire one that really showed effort toward being a citizen if I knew through the grapevine he was trying to do about face from crime. We must have some mercy but we don't need to be blind either.

I would say yes but then until a healthy site and atmosphere conducive to healthy plant growth is established any pruning is taking reserve energy from the specimen. Apical dominance and photo tropism has to be understood to get a desirable result in trimming but what do I know, I am not certified after 28 years in the business:monkey:

I can not disagree here. It depends on each situation, what and why one is pruning and how much is being removed to a large degree. If first time on the site, and only minor pruning is necessary (as in case of one we are doing this week - four small limbs on one tree - and few minor trims on rest - then it really is a matter of working with customer and then creating an inventory of site - recording over time - documenting and then going forward. (previous tree worker they had was single person who is now retired - but did a good job over time - so only minor items to pick up there)

But you are correct in that ANY removal of foliage at all can impact health of tree in question. Now if one were removing 15-20% of total foliage then one needs to consider a lot more. Guess it is what defines a trim to a large degree, species of tree, location, time of year, etc.

Again however, this can all come into play by on the job experience and not necessarily by certification. (You yourself said that you do not have after 28 years - yet you instinctively take items into consideration when doing work or discussing with client each day)

Some of it also comes into terms used locally.. when we use the word trim - we mean typically a fairly minor pruning job.

what happened to good ol climbing, and hard work, climbers have become #####es with pretty toys, that wont touch a limb once they have touch the floor, but if i work too hard i might get an ouyy on my hands, and ill have to go get a bandage, right.

Bandage? If stitches aren't required duct tape will do fine

Latest posts

Back