Climber was stealing from me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was paying him with a check at the end of the week and was gonna give him a 1099 at the end of the year. He dont work full time for me, but normally a couple days a week.

I think this is BS. I am not saying I doubt your story, but you are weighing some heavy things on a guy who is not here to defend himself. A crackhead, thieving, tree guy is nothing new but handle it with or without the authorities and keep the guys name off the internet.

I only put his name on because someone asked. He made his bed, now he can lie in it. Sounds like you might just know him. Besides if he didnt do anything wrong why would he not answer my calls? I never called him anything but a thief.

I think this is BS. I am not saying I doubt your story, but you are weighing some heavy things on a guy who is not here to defend himself. A crackhead, thieving, tree guy is nothing new but handle it with or without the authorities and keep the guys name off the internet.

Oscar I agree,this guy is innocent until proven guilty.OP do not post a persons name and address again accusing him of wrong doing when he has not had his day in court.I deleted both posts that mentioned his name and address.Thanks,Dave

oscar4883 you should run for a political office. Your really good at pretecting the guilty. If your a idiot and do stupid stuff like steal from people then you should have your name printed in the paper for everyone to see it. There would be alot less crime in this world if people would stand up for whats right and stop protecting the criminals. Have a back bone.

I only put his name on because someone asked. He made his bed, now he can lie in it. Sounds like you might just know him. Besides if he didnt do anything wrong why would he not answer my calls? I never called him anything but a thief.

What would give you the impression I know him? I do however, know the type. Unfortunately that type of person seems to be a little more prevalent in tree work than other fields. PA is a fairly large state and believe it or not some of us have never even been to the Lancaster area. But, thanks anyway for the thinly veiled inference that I hang out with dirt bags.

oscar4883 you should run for a political office. Your really good at pretecting the guilty. If your a idiot and do stupid stuff like steal from people then you should have your name printed in the paper for everyone to see it. There would be alot less crime in this world if people would stand up for whats right and stop protecting the criminals. Have a back bone.

Hey bud, I have nothing against you at all. All I was saying is that IMO things like this should be handled off of public forums. If handled in your local arena at least a guy can speak up for himself if he has a leg to stand on. If you feel the need to insult my lack of "back bone" feel free.

I was paying him with a check at the end of the week and was gonna give him a 1099 at the end of the year. He dont work full time for me, but normally a couple days a week.

Yep you`re boned!!! 1099 makes him a Sub & I hope you made sure he has insurance...........cause if he fights the 1099??? by saying he was an employee, the burden is on you to prove otherwise, chances are he will be viewed as an employee & you will owe a nice sum of money to certain Govt entities??

I agree about keeping the name off the forum, you dont use your real name in its entirety..........really we dont know how you even treated this guy? or what type of guy you are?. Ive worked for employers who at the end of the week were no where to be found, wouldnt answer their phone & then monday morning would give you 1/2 your pay for last week.........well Ive walked home with some gear as insurance...! Ill get the rest of my money & made sure the gear was worth more than what I was owed, hate situations like that & get out of em as soon as possible.

Not saying that you are this type...........but the sword can cut both ways!

LXT............

I've 1099ed deadbeats & thieves for 30 years and have yet to have one bounce back on me.

According to Uniform Commercial Code, the customer still owes the money to the contractor.
1, The customer certainly should have known better than to pay in cash to an employee. This indicates larcenous intent on the customer's part. If said customer did pay cash where is the receipt on company stationary?

2, the situation is no different from a homeowner learning he still owes the concrete supplier because the mason who poured the slab didn't pay the concrete plant!

I learned 30 years back that there is a lot to be said for 3rd party labor contractors.

I've 1099ed deadbeats & thieves for 30 years and have yet to have one bounce back on me.

According to Uniform Commercial Code, the customer still owes the money to the contractor.
1, The customer certainly should have known better than to pay in cash to an employee. This indicates larcenous intent on the customer's part. If said customer did pay cash where is the receipt on company stationary?

2, the situation is no different from a homeowner learning he still owes the concrete supplier because the mason who poured the slab didn't pay the concrete plant!

I learned 30 years back that there is a lot to be said for 3rd party labor contractors.

You just havent had the right deadbeat question you on the 1099, read PA labor law & see how an employee is classified as opposed to a "Sub"

why would the customer know better? the "Sub" was acting as 1 of how many contractors? My crew foreman submits invoices for me as an agent of my company............in this instance the "Sub" asked & therefore received........thats on the General Contractor as he should have payment terms within his contract depicting that he gets the check/draw!! If this ordeal is cash/under the table, non legit biz type of work..............then the thread starter is screwed!

the concrete supplier wouldnt even drop the load before he had payment & signed statement of waiver & release!

LXT................

Its theft by deception.

I think this whole thread walks a pretty thin line anyway , I sure as hell wouldn't be involving a customer in employee employer relations , he got paid and thats that , best thing to do is move on do some damage control and keep your mouth shut , Is 2000, worth a HO running ya down all over the place as a shady person worth it ... Take that money and kiss it up to God and learn a expensive lesson , and as for him, #### him he will prolly OD soon enough and die anyway and won't be missed by many I am sure ... And don't ever put yourself in a position that if 1 person don't show your beat I could do any job that I would pay another person for ...

In 1982 I hired a retiring IRS enforcer who had just cost me a few thousand when I had to forfeit to IRS payment I had gotten a month before from a contractor who paid me. IRS is damn powerful, and also very weak if you know how they operate. I learned a lot from that man, and kept him close until he died for when I'd need advice..

As to the concept of kissing deadbeats up to God, I guarantee you owe me money I will collect it or you can kiss your ass goodbye. File Bankruptcy you'll be hiring a real Bankruptcy attorney and answering my questions at the 341 hearing. I've done it before and if necessary I'll do it again.
The only business that ever cost me was deadbeats who weren't going to pay anyhow.

I'll be damned if I provide a service bill and get stiffed, and then pay income tax on the accrued income. People go broke fast waiting for payment, and I've bought a lot of equipment from people going belly up because they didn't collect promptly. A dollar that takes 90 days to come in is only worth 67¢ when it arrives.

You either collect what is due when it is due or you go belly up!

I agree about collecting money promptly. I can climb, but in certain situations, I am not as fast as others. He got ahold of me and said his wife took his cousin that looks like him and collected the money. He said she also stold 26k out of there kids college fund. Idk, I want to believe what he says, but I dont. He said he wants to make it right and he is at my mercy. I might let him work it off, but keep him far away from the customers. Guess we will see.

I agree about collecting money promptly. I can climb, but in certain situations, I am not as fast as others. He got ahold of me and said his wife took his cousin that looks like him and collected the money. He said she also stold 26k out of there kids college fund. Idk, I want to believe what he says, but I dont. He said he wants to make it right and he is at my mercy. I might let him work it off, but keep him far away from the customers. Guess we will see.

Tempting as it is, I personally have never had this type situation work out. Especially when drugs or personal problems are involved. It just prolongs or defers the disappointment to a future time. My observation is to take your lick now and go on.

That is probably all B.S., he is telling you what he can, to cover his butt. I wouldn't have him around at all. College fund, yeah right!

Back