climbing course

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndgclimber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I received a booklet in the mail saturday from Rutgers state university in New Jersey.They are offering some one and two day courses.I was condidering taking the "Modern Techinques for Large Tree Climbing and Rigging".Has anyone gone before or considering going.Any comments on the courses?This particular one is on Dec.4th.The instuctors are Steve and Mark Chisolm.

Anybody know if there is a fee for students? I looked at the payment options and it is either $195 or $200. Wouldn't mind heading down to Jersey for a weekend to see Mark C. climb and learn some new stuff.

Mark Chisolm is widely known as an excellent climber, world champion a couple times. I've never heard anything but good about any of his courses.

I have not attened that particular seminar but I have been to others that Mark has taught. He is a very good teacher and you will learn something even if you are VERY up to date on new techniques. You will not be bored with repetiton of basic new stuff like other courses.

Those of you how are interested there may be a few opennings for the seminar in Scranton PA on the 21st & 22nd of this month. See details under the announcement section or e-mail me.

If theree is climbing instruction involved the price is not too bad. They need to pay for insurance.

I would be concerned with the student:instructor ratio if it is a practucum course

I understand that Mark's Dad has been teaching arboriculture for several years.

Down to earth , I know of birchcrest and ted collins,Birchcrest and my buisness are both based out of webster,they are a very reputiable tree service .Never heard of fillbert though.Sure is a small world.Just curious,why you left rochester.

JPS wrote: I understand that Mark's Dad has been teaching arboriculture for several years.
This couse is taught by Mark and his big brother Steve, not his Dad..
Also there was about 25-30 students, mostly very inexperienced.. lot of municipal guys.. several that had never climbed before..
Steve asked 'em "why did you guys come?"
Anyhow most of the class was quiet and shy all day... the men that got the most out of it were the more experienced climbers..
And as far as insurance... Mark was the only one to go aloft all day.. everone else watched...
I believe that this class is valuable to everyone.. even if you just learn one thing that you can use the rest of your career... it's well worth the time and money.. It may even save a life.
God Bless,
Daniel

The name of my company is Weidman Tree and Lawn.Like i said im in webster,what town are you from?.I see birchcrest usually with a chip/bucket combo truck and an additional chip truck and a couple of monster chippers(monsters to me,still got the old chuck and duck)They do a lot of landscaping and fertilizing also.Ive been to northern nursuery a couple times,i dont do to much landscape work other than mulching beds and stuff for my lawn customers.If your ever back in town look me up.My ad is in the rochester yellow pages.

Latest posts

Back