Underbidding idiots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the problem is IMO people have cheapened this trade by lumping it into grass cutting, landscaping, gutter cleaning, etc....I started doing landscaping(which I have done professionally before getting into tree work)just to get back at the bums stealing all the easy work & leaving me with the big, dead ugly hangin over the house trees.

From the landscaping side of things, there are still many of us out there trying to bring some dignity back to the trade and push forward towards professional operation. In my golf course days, I sat under the wing of certified arborists which were committed to my development in the tree department, and I was committed to learn. I set aside a lot more income for education than I can really afford, but I can assure you I am not the only one in terms of future generations of Landscape tree workers.

My employer provides a broad range of services, yes. As for underbidding, we don't go hunting for tree jobs. The amount of jobs I have forwarded to professional arborists as an experienced and educated tree worker is clearly an angle that many haven't considered. I'm not out to take money out of professionals pockets, but prior to my switch over to landscaping, the company's previous tree worker was leaning off of ladders doing reach flush cuts with an 026, and pole prunes with fiskars crap.

6 months later, standards of equipment and practice are in place from this day forward.

I think underbidding kills the hole industry.

I was helping out this tree service and a neighbor wanted a bid on a tree the tree service owner had me go with him to look at it, it was a 10-12" diameter about 75 foot tall pine, broke about 15 foot up leaning into a bigger pine wanting to fall towards the house.

He bid it at $200.00 to get it down and haul it away and $100.00 just to get it down. both prices were under bid but we where right down the street finishing a job with a large crew and equipment so it would pan out at those prices.

The home owner says that he just bought a husky saw from loews for $300.00 and he didn't think getting some one to do it would cost that much.

If it where my bid I would of turned and walked back to the truck and said have a nice day. Or, Well if you got a saw why are you calling me for? have fun with your $300.00 saw.

But the tree service owner came back with $75.00 to get it down.I rode with him back to the job with the rest of the crew,on the way I told him about a guy trying to talk me down before and the price got to $75.00 and I told that guy I wouldn't take the saw out of my truck for $75.00.

Well I ended up going down there and doing the tree myself, It took about $1500.00 in climbing gear, $1180.00 in saws, $800.00 in rigging ,what ever $ amount the guy pays for comp and liability, fuel , ex............

That tree service owner thinks if the people have a lot of trees that will need work in the future putting in a low bid will get him in the door next time. But I believe if they are calling around to more than 3 companies to get the cheapest price than they will do the same the next time they need work done. I won't go do a estimate if it is a bit of a drive and they already have gotten 3 or more bids.

The low bidders will put them selfs out of buisness is my thought , because we know what it takes for the up keep and purchasing of even the bottom line of equipment , and doing it that way will get you either a bunch of broke down equipment or a broke back or both.

Cheap Work Is not Good
and
Good Work Is not Cheap

This is the slowest its been for me in 11 to 12 years, I'm still doing my best to hang tough. every one else do the same.

I think underbidding kills the hole industry.

I was helping out this tree service and a neighbor wanted a bid on a tree the tree service owner had me go with him to look at it, it was a 10-12" diameter about 75 foot tall pine, broke about 15 foot up leaning into a bigger pine wanting to fall towards the house.

He bid it at $200.00 to get it down and haul it away and $100.00 just to get it down. both prices were under bid but we where right down the street finishing a job with a large crew and equipment so it would pan out at those prices.

The home owner says that he just bought a husky saw from loews for $300.00 and he didn't think getting some one to do it would cost that much.

If it where my bid I would of turned and walked back to the truck and said have a nice day. Or, Well if you got a saw why are you calling me for? have fun with your $300.00 saw.

But the tree service owner came back with $75.00 to get it down.I rode with him back to the job with the rest of the crew,on the way I told him about a guy trying to talk me down before and the price got to $75.00 and I told that guy I wouldn't take the saw out of my truck for $75.00.

Well I ended up going down there and doing the tree myself, It took about $1500.00 in climbing gear, $1180.00 in saws, $800.00 in rigging ,what ever $ amount the guy pays for comp and liability, fuel , ex............

That tree service owner thinks if the people have a lot of trees that will need work in the future putting in a low bid will get him in the door next time. But I believe if they are calling around to more than 3 companies to get the cheapest price than they will do the same the next time they need work done. I won't go do a estimate if it is a bit of a drive and they already have gotten 3 or more bids.

The low bidders will put them selfs out of buisness is my thought , because we know what it takes for the up keep and purchasing of even the bottom line of equipment , and doing it that way will get you either a bunch of broke down equipment or a broke back or both.

Cheap Work Is not Good
and
Good Work Is not Cheap

This is the slowest its been for me in 11 to 12 years, I'm still doing my best to hang tough. every one else do the same.

I was yacking in the brew shop today picking up a few kegs.

The delivery man drops in and interupts the conversation the owner and I were having.

Asks if I do tree work and the brewshop owner butts in and say sure, he's good, done heaps around my place ... the delivery guy looks at me and says ...

... "I dont care how good he is as long as he's cheap." :deadhorse:

To which I responded, " how cheap I am depends on how much of your place I'm allowed to smash up."

Here's my underbidding idiots story of the month. We're still working on cleanup and trimming from january's ice storm, and a guy in my area, who we know, called us for a bid to trim 14 trees on his rental property, plus 2 removals, and also trim damage from 6 large oaks in his front yard, trim a few more smaller trees, and remove two more trees on his home property. One of these was and old, 90% dead white oak, 36-40" and 40+' tall.

The six large oaks in his front yard would have been very difficult and time consuming to trim, as they had much breakage, and few or no good tie ins above much of the breakage. Much easier for a bucket truck or lift than a climber.

When I stopped by to formulate a bid, another guy was there, looking at the trees. We knew that the customer was cheap, even though he's fairly wealthy. (Owns multiple properties, and a large herd of cattle.)

After I spent 45 minutes, and deciding that if I bid how long those oaks were going to take, I'd never get the bid, I decided to try and compete with what I though the bucket truck crew would bid.

The rental property was no problem. I had it at $1800. His home property I had at $2000, and that was pretty low. I would have liked to price it at $3200.00.

I called my partner, who knows the guy better than I, and he said "There's no way in hell he will pay that". "Yeah, I said, thats how I feel too."

I told the customer that I couln't really compete with the bucket truck crew's bid because of how long the oaks would take climbing, and declined to give him a bid.

Last week, a crew was in to do the job. My partners dad lives a couple hundred yards away, and he kept an eye on the crew, just for something to do. They spent four days total, first 2 days with 8 guys, and 2 bucket trucks. Then two more days with 4-5 guys and a chipper and chip truck. I'm guessing they had a minimum of 70 man hours in the job.

All the trees were hacked and whacked. I don't think I saw one lateral cut, and I'm pretty sure if they cut at any nodes it was pure luck. Many cuts were torn out from the lack of an undercut. The second day of the job, the property owner was pulling around one of the bucket trucks with his tractor, because it had broken down. Pony engine for the boom. I have no idea how they took it out when they were done. They knocked out the power, my partners dad was out of power for 4-5 hrs, along with several other houses on that road. I don't know exactly how they did that. About 6-7 feet of trunk is still laying in his front yard from the large oak removal. I guess they didn't have a saw big enough, or one that would cut straight enough to block it.

My partners dad had asked the owner how much all this was costing him. Turns out, nobody was happy in the end. The owner paid $1600, and thought the guys were highway robbers. I'm sure the crew didn't do too well either, with four days of fuel use, 70+ man hours, and a broken bucket truck, for $1600.

I'm just glad I declined to give him a bid. Some people are great to work for, and expect good work for a good price. Having and idea of which ones are good to work for and which aren't makes it easier. If we hadn't known he was cheap ahead of time, we'd have insulted him even after taking $1200 off what we thought the job was worth.

Fair tradeoff for him. He pays 1/3 of what good work would cost, and gets his trees wrecked even worse than they were after the storm. I'm not to worried about that tree company sticking around for long....they won't be able to afford to, and theres no way people will be happy with their work if they charge more. Pure hackery. Its the trees that suffer.

There is a new crew lately that is advertising the old underbid any estimate. So I've noticed a rash of angled flush cuts all over the place. I sent a strongly worded email to one client. I would rant awhile, but don't have time.

There is a new crew lately that is advertising the old underbid any estimate. So I've noticed a rash of angled flush cuts all over the place. I sent a strongly worded email to one client. I would rant awhile, but don't have time.
Vandalism for profit! I don t think it hurts to go down in flames w a little attitude and I don t think it entirely hurts your rep around town to "flip out" once in a while on an estimate. People around an area generally know who the cheapskates are. Hey just look at their car, unpainted house, guy w a smoking non selfpropelled mower servicing their lawn. A good well placed "flip out" once in a while gets around town too and discerning people can respect that. I love to indulge in a good "tell off" periodically.

I think we have all run into this.

A good one a couple years ago: I was asked by a friend who was opening a business to prune some tree's back that were overhanging his parking lot, and trim back some limbs blocking his sign out front. I quoted $650.

I saw him at the gym and he told me that his partner went ahead and hired the landscaper to do the work. "OK" "thats OK", loosing a bid is no big deal.

A week later I see him and he asks me if I could still do the work we talked about. I said "sure", but "what happened?"

Well the landscaper was pruning back the branches over the parking lot with one foot on the top of a ladder and one foot on the fence at the same time. Of course he fell, over the fence, into the back yard of someones house and cracked his skull open. The police were there, and an ambulance and now the home owner was "really P___ED off.... I just looked at him and smirked.
I trimmed the tree in front away from the sign (5 cuts) for $350. He was VERY happy and they all learned a good lesson:blob2:

thats business

I agree with whoever mentioned that some companies just have less expense than others. I have low overhead, and seem to charge less. I am not married, younge, and a growing business. So I am cheaper than my friends who know better. I think their are responsible companies out there that might on any given day need to do a job at a less than normal price, and vice versa. Thats how it works. I never was a hack, but did work myself to death for jobs because I thought it was alot of money, only to realize that I wasnt really able to keep up equipment and saftey, peace of mind. Im getting better, Cut-Right Tree Inc. N.C.

Here's my most recent underbidding story, not really underbidding but certainly lowballing.

I get a call from a guy with some lakeside cabins that have never really had any tree maintenance. Some big trees, some small trees. He wants to start by removing hazard/junk trees. Sounds like he's headed the right direction. We meet, and he tells me that he's got a price of $500 from a crane crew to put 5 trees near the parking lot onto the ground. He's going to take care of the brush and wood. 2 sugar maples, each about 20", a white birch, also about 20" and 2 large basswoods, both about 26-28". All are easy takedowns, each with a little ropework but a large landing zone (the parking lot), except 1 of the basswoods. Most of that tree is over the neighbor's roof and the lean is heavily towards the neighbor's house. He ask's if I can do better than $500 for all 5. My answer is no way. I ask if he's got the crane price in writing, and he says no. I tell him to get the crane price in writing and look as it as though he's paying $500 for the one basswood and getting the other 4 for free.

Then he says he wants a price on 3 more takedowns by the cabins that the crane crew didn't give him a price on because they can't get to them with the crane. All 3 are red maples, about 24" DBH. One just needs to be stripped and dumped, another has a dead top leaning over a cabin and a guy wire near the base, but is still pretty basic ropework, and the last one is short, but doesn't have much of a central TIP and is over 2 cabins and some smaller trees he wants to save. The landing zone is really small so it will have to be chunked down in pretty small pieces. Once again, he'll take care of the brush and wood, which is always cool by me. I tell him $450 for the 3, here's the bid in writing. He didn't even balk, which surprised me a bit. I even told him it was going to be at least a month before we could get there and he was fine with that.

Here's what I suspect will happen. We'll do the 3 red maples and the trees by the parking lot won't have been done yet. Probably sometime in the fall, I'll get a call for a price on the other 5 because the crane crew will still not have shown up. And I seriously doubt he'll ever get thier price in writing. Anyone want to take bets? :D

Latest posts

Back