Climbing vs bucket which is better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be just your area because up here in the pacific northwest it's all about the climb. Most our trees are way too big for a bucket and it's rare that we do trees where there is even access for a bucket. While buckets are handy, I definitely don't think they are necessary to have a successful tree service at all. In fact there is only one guy around here who has one and he regularly has to pay $500 a day for contract climbers to come and blow up his job site leaving a mess for his crew to clean up.

Like I said...this area. We don't have too many trees here a 60 ft. truck won't reach. And, people around here are famous for letting the dead trees get too damned rotten to climb before that have them removed. Here, no bucket equals bad news if you want to stay out of the single wide trailer house.

Like I said...this area. We don't have too many trees here a 60 ft. truck won't reach. And, people around here are famous for letting the dead trees get too damned rotten to climb before that have them removed. Here, no bucket equals bad news if you want to stay out of the single wide trailer house.
I couldn't do without mine simply for all the storage of saws ,ropes,gas and oil,hyd stick saws, pole saws, trimmers,etc. Not even to mention the bucket itself then the forestry body to hold wood or chips.

I feel like even if you can get away with primarily using a bucket, learning to climb will benefit you so much when it comes to doing tree work and give you a healthy respect for the dangers that this job comes with. My old boss was a retired telephone worker but never climbed, I watched him do so many stupid things in his bucket because he didn't have a lot of practical tree working knowledge that comes with learning to climb.

It may be just your area because up here in the pacific northwest it's all about the climb. Most our trees are way too big for a bucket and it's rare that we do trees where there is even access for a bucket. While buckets are handy, I definitely don't think they are necessary to have a successful tree service at all. In fact there is only one guy around here who has one and he regularly has to pay $500 a day for contract climbers to come and blow up his job site leaving a mess for his crew to clean up.

Pacific Northwest is pretty general area, but in our area, (Vancouver), out of the 3 major residential companies, I count about 30 boom trucks, probably about 30 more in the smaller companies, plus the big boys doing utility work. Whether those use the boom all the time or just as a glorified chip truck I can't say.

Interestingly, all the booms I see around are forestry units, no rear mounted units.

If each company has 10 buckets I don't really feel like they are an accurate representation for someone who thinking of starting a company from the ground up. Ok, so PNW is pretty general but here in Gig Harbor, Wa we have a lot of old growth trees and regularly remove 150 ft + firs. The average tree here is 100ft plus so unless you have room to take a 40+ top a standard bucket just doesn't have the reach. Also, while I feel it may be less labor intensive to use a bucket in something like a maple or oak, they are just more fun to climb and I think it's faster for a climber to move within the canopy. I feel like a bucket is something that I will get when I am old and tired and my business is well established. Until then I will love every minute of having one of the coolest jobs ever getting paid to climb trees.

Best thing you can do is work during the week for someone and do it on the weekends for yourself. You can have all the drive and desire in the world but, that alone isn't guna get you a business. You need to get your name out there and have some sort of client base. I climb for a couple guys during the week and do my jobs on the weekends. I'm insured and geared up except a chipper. It works well for me until I'm busy enough to start doing on my own completely

I do exactly the same thing and it takes a long time to build a client base but then again he doesn't have a family to feed so it may be beneficial to have all that time and energy to invest in his company. Still needs to learn how to climb first though.

On top of learning how to climb is learning how to rig and what difference techniques to use in different situations. You can do what I did and figure it out as you go or you can work for someone who is willing to teach you. I was always a ground guy never got the chance to get in the air with someone experienced till I got gear one day and did it. Let's just say I'm extremely lucky to be alive right now.

Get good at climbing, then learn bucket work, lower overheads for starters,

I'd rather be a climber with a bucket than a bucketeer(?) who can only do jobs with easy access and level ground, be the best you can be

I grew up around a bucket truck and nothing else. The pops had no interest in climbing what so ever. I've always wondered is there a reason why some guys like buckets over climbing or vise versa. I mean climbing no fuel less wear and tear on equipment more versatile. No worrying about sinking into ground. The reason why I'm asking is i either have to buy a bucket or climbing gear. I'm 16 so I got plenty of years left im looking to start my own business. My dad had a reputable tree care business. He passed away in 2012 from that dang thing called cancer. I'm aware I'm young. You all may think I'm dumb but this is what I want to make of my life it's the only thing. And if climbing should I buy a kit or individual stuff. Oh and don't just criticize me i want real honest answers no bullcrap. Please help me figure all this out. In advance thank you.

Garrett Girvin
Sorry to hear that buddy. That Sucks! Sounds like you have a good overall attitude about it and I respect your desire to carry on the family tradition in a field that is easily one of the most dangerous in the world, but one of the coolest to be apart of.
My dad, who had a tree business, died in 2013 of a chipper related accident (don't freak he didn't go through it, its a long story but not as bad as many may think) leaving me with an opportunity to start something of my own. So I have an idea what you are going through. It must feel like a lot of weight rests on your shoulders, and there is probably a million questions you have that you would love to ask him now that you are getting older and thinking about going into the field.

My biggest recommendation for you Garrett is to find a mentor. That is imperative. You need someone to show you the ropes when it comes to climbing/or bucket work, tree felling, chainsaw handling, equipment, safety, knowledge of trees (what their limitations are, how to identify hazards, which ones barber chair, etc.) Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are only 16, more than likely you have a lot to learn before you run an outfit of your own, and climbing and felling trees leaves little room for error. That is one of the unique things about this business. Damn near every tree job you will do you risk: life, limb, reputation of your business, employee's safety, people's personal property, and your own financial situation. If you or one of your guys gets hurt or killed, or you drop a tree on someone's house your business could be done for in the blink of an eye. Luckily for me, when I started my own business, I had a relatively strong foundation of climbing and felling beneath me (zero bucket work). But I had to, and did, learn a shitload before I could call myself a good arborist. I don't know if your dad left you his business or if your endeavor is to start your own, but if I were you Garrett, I would work on building a strong foundation of skills and knowledge. And if you can find a guy who is a little bit older who knows the business well, and is willing to take you under his wing, that will be the quickest way to achieve that. Even if you have to work for a tree crew or two for the next ten years of your life before starting your own it will be worth the wait. It might not take you that long to be ready, but you absolutely do not want to go into this business without the proper training and experience. Trees dont like to be cut and very often times they are uncooperative SOBs that will bite you if you don't know what your doing.

Bucket Work vs Climbing: If I had a bucket truck I would use it, but there are some jobs that you will not be able to use it. Do you want to have to pass those jobs up because you're not a strong enough climber? Hell NO! The foundation should start with climbing. But a bucket truck definitely comes in handy, and is much safer. But expensive, and yes insurance is a factor with a bucket truck.

Which gear to get?

Spikes: I love my Buckingham steel tree spikes (don't use pole spikes) with Big buck wrap pads. I didn't have the extra money to spend for the titanium spikes but I'm sure they're awesome. You want something that is comfortable and that you feel safe in.

Saddle: Most of the ones they make today are pretty good, which ever one you feel most comfortable in, you should try one on before you buy it. I bought mine at Labonvilles. In Western Maine we don't have many options other than the internet.

More important than gear are your skills. Find a teacher and you will be golden. Good Luck Garrett, sorry for being longwinded but I know what you are going through so I felt compelled to go on a little bit. Hope some or any of this helps.

Sorry to hear that buddy. That Sucks! Sounds like you have a good overall attitude about it and I respect your desire to carry on the family tradition in a field that is easily one of the most dangerous in the world, but one of the coolest to be apart of.
My dad, who had a tree business, died in 2013 of a chipper related accident (don't freak he didn't go through it, its a long story but not as bad as many may think) leaving me with an opportunity to start something of my own. So I have an idea what you are going through. It must feel like a lot of weight rests on your shoulders, and there is probably a million questions you have that you would love to ask him now that you are getting older and thinking about going into the field.

My biggest recommendation for you Garrett is to find a mentor. That is imperative. You need someone to show you the ropes when it comes to climbing/or bucket work, tree felling, chainsaw handling, equipment, safety, knowledge of trees (what their limitations are, how to identify hazards, which ones barber chair, etc.) Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are only 16, more than likely you have a lot to learn before you run an outfit of your own, and climbing and felling trees leaves little room for error. That is one of the unique things about this business. Damn near every tree job you will do you risk: life, limb, reputation of your business, employee's safety, people's personal property, and your own financial situation. If you or one of your guys gets hurt or killed, or you drop a tree on someone's house your business could be done for in the blink of an eye. Luckily for me, when I started my own business, I had a relatively strong foundation of climbing and felling beneath me (zero bucket work). But I had to, and did, learn a shitload before I could call myself a good arborist. I don't know if your dad left you his business or if your endeavor is to start your own, but if I were you Garrett, I would work on building a strong foundation of skills and knowledge. And if you can find a guy who is a little bit older who knows the business well, and is willing to take you under his wing, that will be the quickest way to achieve that. Even if you have to work for a tree crew or two for the next ten years of your life before starting your own it will be worth the wait. It might not take you that long to be ready, but you absolutely do not want to go into this business without the proper training and experience. Trees dont like to be cut and very often times they are uncooperative SOBs that will bite you if you don't know what your doing.

Bucket Work vs Climbing: If I had a bucket truck I would use it, but there are some jobs that you will not be able to use it. Do you want to have to pass those jobs up because you're not a strong enough climber? Hell NO! The foundation should start with climbing. But a bucket truck definitely comes in handy, and is much safer. But expensive, and yes insurance is a factor with a bucket truck.

Which gear to get?

Spikes: I love my Buckingham steel tree spikes (don't use pole spikes) with Big buck wrap pads. I didn't have the extra money to spend for the titanium spikes but I'm sure they're awesome. You want something that is comfortable and that you feel safe in.

Saddle: Most of the ones they make today are pretty good, which ever one you feel most comfortable in, you should try one on before you buy it. I bought mine at Labonvilles. In Western Maine we don't have many options other than the internet.

More important than gear are your skills. Find a teacher and you will be golden. Good Luck Garrett, sorry for being longwinded but I know what you are going through so I felt compelled to go on a little bit. Hope some or any of this helps.

If I were
That's very helpful! I appreciate your time. It sounds like you know what your talking about I wish somebody was around here like you!

Garrett Girvin

That's very helpful! I appreciate your time. It sounds like you know what your talking about I wish somebody was around here like you!

Garrett Girvin
You will find someone if you set your mind to it. Your old man is watching out for ya. But in the meantime watch a **** load of youtube videos on climbing, knot tying, tree felling, different rigging techniques, equipment, and any other thing you want to learn about. We are lucky to live in a time period where the world is at our fingertips because of the internet. My dad was a logger who climbed trees. He was very good at what he did, but he didn't know **** about elaborate climbing systems, complex rigging, mechanical advantage (his idea of mechanical advantage was hooking onto a tree with a skidder), or anything like that. He was old school and he was an absolute badass when it came to dropping trees (he wasn't scared to drop a 100 ft. Pine Tree between two houses separated by ten feet) but he never learned all the other stuff that would have made him a Master Tree Climber. So for the past year I have had to research the hell out of rigging techniques and equipment, mechanical advantage, crane work, and tons of other **** to advance myself as an arborist. And I am proud to say that today I have quite a few more tools in my belt than my dad even had. And I continue to learn all the time. You have to be hungry for learning if you want to be the best you can be.

You will find someone if you set your mind to it. Your old man is watching out for ya. But in the meantime watch a **** load of youtube videos on climbing, knot tying, tree felling, different rigging techniques, equipment, and any other thing you want to learn about. We are lucky to live in a time period where the world is at our fingertips because of the internet. My dad was a logger who climbed trees. He was very good at what he did, but he didn't know **** about elaborate climbing systems, complex rigging, mechanical advantage (his idea of mechanical advantage was hooking onto a tree with a skidder), or anything like that. He was old school and he was an absolute badass when it came to dropping trees (he wasn't scared to drop a 100 ft. Pine Tree between two houses separated by ten feet) but he never learned all the other stuff that would have made him a Master Tree Climber. So for the past year I have had to research the hell out of rigging techniques and equipment, mechanical advantage, crane work, and tons of other **** to advance myself as an arborist. And I am proud to say that today I have quite a few more tools in my belt than my dad even had. And I continue to learn all the time. You have to be hungry for learning if you want to be the best you can be.
Everybody is telling me I won't succeed I'm put to prove them wrong and do what I love.

Garrett Girvin

Best thing you can do is work during the week for someone and do it on the weekends for yourself. You can have all the drive and desire in the world but, that alone isn't guna get you a business. You need to get your name out there and have some sort of client base. I climb for a couple guys during the week and do my jobs on the weekends. I'm insured and geared up except a chipper. It works well for me until I'm busy enough to start doing on my own completely
Definitely need to get your name out there and get recognized, but make sure you don't step on your employers toes while your out soliciting solo work if you are a full time employee of a company(If you are an independent contractor, gun for hire so to speak this shouldn't apply). If its a heavy populated area and the company you work for has enough business for it not to matter, thats one thing, but it could potentially be seen as unprofessional to compete with the guy who employs you. Mind you, I'm coming from a small town in Western Maine so whats true for me may not be true for many of you, but I thought it was worth mentioning for Garrett's sake. The integrity in which you conduct yourself with is as important as your skills when trying to make a good reputation for yourself and for your business.

Everybody is telling me I won't succeed I'm put to prove them wrong and do what I love.

Garrett Girvin
Then you are hanging out with the wrong people. If it's something that you really love, then you will manifest the right opportunities in your life that you will need to succeed.

Then you are hanging out with the wrong people. If it's something that you really love, then you will manifest the right opportunities in your life that you will need to succeed.
it's family and other tree services. We have 2 well had two around the other retired no too long ago and they don't want another guy like my pops taking a lot of work they used to be a little bit of nothing. After he went they shot up.

Garrett Girvin

Garrett i'm willing to bet NOBODY here wants to see you fail and would like nothing more than to see you succeed. I don't run my own show so i can't comment on that aspect. These guys here know how hard and painful or difficult the road to success can be. Like other have said at 16 i think you still have a lot to learn before you start trying to run your own business. You seem to have a good attitude and the drive to do what you want to do. Good luck to you.

Garrett i'm willing to bet NOBODY here wants to see you fail and would like nothing more than to see you succeed. I don't run my own show so i can't comment on that aspect. These guys here know how hard and painful or difficult the road to success can be. Like other have said at 16 i think you still have a lot to learn before you start trying to run your own business. You seem to have a good attitude and the drive to do what you want to do. Good luck to you.
I'm not normally one to call myself out on anything but I'm pretty sure I know quite a bit. Enough no you can never know enough but it takes time right? My dad learned it all by experience. He started in 82 with just a bucket. Knew nothing about trees. When he died at 58 he was on of the best around proof to show everything takes time.

Garrett Girvin

Latest posts

Back