Climbing with spurs/spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most guys at our company like the vertex or whatever you call them because they say their heads can breathe a bit better and they don't sweat as bad. The pacifics are bulky and heavy, and make me sweat like a hog, but being Kevlar and working in the hood every once in a great while, I suspect they can deflect a bullet as well as a falling or swinging log/branch.

I say any helmet is better then no helmet at all , I would like to think that all the guys embrace that and wear them seeing first hand a guy he hit in the head , which broke his neck and almost severed his ear when the band sliced almost halfway through his ear lobe . I still think about that and I keep my helmet on the seat of my truck first to go on last to come off

Most guys at our company like the vertex or whatever you call them because they say their heads can breathe a bit better and they don't sweat as bad. The pacifics are bulky and heavy, and make me sweat like a hog, but being Kevlar and working in the hood every once in a great while, I suspect they can deflect a bullet as well as a falling or swinging log/branch.
I really love the vertex , like the alveo but love the vertex , had a protos on last night wasn't really feeling it at all

What's the protos? Is that one of those new fancy expensive helmets that they only make in Europe right now?

What's the protos? Is that one of those new fancy expensive helmets that they only make in Europe right now?
Well I live in New Jersey so somehow they make there way here but it's not big just heavy , I was told that it's has some impressive protection from all sides but it's heavy ...
u2ydyhu9.jpg

And the ear muffs don't snap tight you can just push them snug and they stay like that , that was actually really nice of someone designed them that could be attached to any helmet well that would be awesome

Yeah, I've heard the muffs on them are similar to wearing ear plugs. That's another thing about my pacific, I have to wear plugs underneath my muffs.

My worker bought the protos and couldn't figure out how to adjust it. It's not as plug and play as you may think. The instruction dvd it came with was in Austrian or something. It's sitting in his closet now.

if you are a treeman and you are up in a tree, 99% of the time it is to make a cut. To get in the most functional and safest position to make that cut spikes 100% of the time can help with that. Even if you are doing little piddling ladder spruce and pine removals your best position is not always gonna be standing on a stub on a whorl, it may be inbetween them often at least with one foot. It is just plain stoopit to go up a td without spikes on. There was a clown on here named oltirdy who advocated crane removals without spikes and climbing with a midsize saw all the time. Some of that rubbed off I guess.

I'm not allowed to wear climbing hard hats. A contractor got hit in the side of the head with a sledge hammer and died, I have to have side impact protection on a approved list of hard hats. There were 3 on the list when that incident happened, only 1 is still made. Yay for out dated and unrevised bureaucracy.

if you are a treeman and you are up in a tree, 99% of the time it is to make a cut. To get in the most functional and safest position to make that cut spikes 100% of the time can help with that. Even if you are doing little piddling ladder spruce and pine removals your best position is not always gonna be standing on a stub on a whorl, it may be inbetween them often at least with one foot. It is just plain stoopit to go up a td without spikes on. There was a clown on here named oltirdy who advocated crane removals without spikes and climbing with a midsize saw all the time. Some of that rubbed off I guess.
It's just a different approach Dave ... I would imagine a guy who has been doing this as long as you would embrace that concept at least , maybe you don't agree or advocate that but .... When your just black and white then that makes it hard for any kinda progression , and what "rubbed" off LOL was the idea that certain things can be approached a few different ways .

Back