Clinton D65 has no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triumph79

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have a problem with my Clinton D65 it has no spark. I cleaned and set the points and still no spark. If anybody has any tips on what should do it would be great thanks.

Tried a different plug?

Id usually break out the voltmeter and check the resistance in the wires.

Also may wanna try unhooking the switch.

Clinton d65

i was wondering if i could use one of those ignition chips and if so witch one should i use cause i seen they make some different ones.

The module won't work if the coil is bad. Check primary and secondary windings on the coil for continuity/open circuit first. Primary is 50-100 ohm. Secondary is 150-200 ohm.

Condenser can be checked for short to ground.

If everything (points, condenser and coil) is good, there is no need for a module.

And, ground the plug body firmly to the cylinder. I been fooled in the past.

Last edited:
The module won't work if the coil is bad. Check primary and secondary windings on the coil for continuity/open circuit first. Primary is 50-100 ohm. Secondary is 150-200 ohm.

Condenser can be checked for short to ground.

If everything (points, condenser and coil) is good, there is no need for a module.

And, ground the plug body firmly to the cylinder. I been fooled in the past.

if the coils can i use one of them chips

Clinton d65

the clinton d65 has spark now and fires up. but i dont know what the carb should be set at. im im using a 16:1 fuel mix. any hepl would be great.

the clinton d65 has spark now and fires up. but i dont know what the carb should be set at. im im using a 16:1 fuel mix. any hepl would be great.

I've found for most of my saws, 1 to 1-3/4 turns out for both usually work for starting.

What you're looking for on the low side is to be rich enough to rev right up, but not stall when the saw is tipped on its side. Then for the high side, finding a good log to make cuts in is best... so you can set it to burble a little out of the cut, and clean right up and sing while it's making chips.

Do some more reading on tuning saws if you're not sure. If in doubt, set it a little rich. If it bogs down in the cut and you're fogging the bugs out of the neighborhood, turn the high side screw in about 1/8 turn at a time until it stops burbling and smoking so much.

After a while, you'll hear the burble and notice when the saw runs its best.

Back