C'mon everyone, show your Christmas gift projects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I made this quilt/blanket hanger for my mom yesterday and today:

attachment.php

The back board is a piece of Birch that's just started the spalting process - the white rot has bleached out parts of the wood but it isn't unsound yet, and no black demarcating lines have formed either. Not a remarkable piece but it has some character. The front bar piece is a piece of knotty Juniper. This stuff is incredibly difficult to plane down. It chips and tears out like nobody's business in my thickness planer, no matter how light of a pass I take. It's manageable on the jointer if I take maybe 1/64" per pass off, and feed VERY slowly. Oddly enough though, the router cut glass-smooth every time. And yes, all my knives were/are sharp! I even changed the planer knives out just to make sure. The juniper takes a sanding and finish extremely well though. I have two coats of Tung oil on everything here so far, and you can see how much it made the Juniper's color and grain pop out.

attachment.php

The clamping knobs are made from some Birch root burl scrap pieces. I put a threaded insert in each one, and drilled each end of both the backer and clamp bar, and installed one of those headless bolts that have wood threads on one end and 1/4" machine threads on the other in each end. I forget what those bolts are called. Handy buggers though.

I can't take credit for this design - I've seen many similar ones before, not the least of which was one that Woodshop here showed in the "what are you building..." thread. Just kinda copying them out of memory. If I remember right though, Woodshop's had threaded wooden dowels and nuts at the ends to clamp the bar down.

Anyway, let's see those projects!

Nice job Brad!

You are sure handy with that woodworking!Nice to get something made by someone for Christmas.Talking about quilting,those ladies are worse than chainsaw collectors.It really is amazing what they can do though.
Lawrence

That's very nice design Brad. I like the way the two whirls match the two bumps on the birch.:cheers:

As for making Xmas projects - that would be nice. The paper shuffling and HR notches seemed to have gone up a cog or two in the last few months, time for anything seems to be just slipping through my fingers.

Dang and the engine to make the fuel to drive the bodily engine (aka the coffee machine) has just died!

Not so cheers!

You are sure handy with that woodworking!Nice to get something made by someone for Christmas.Talking about quilting,those ladies are worse than chainsaw collectors.It really is amazing what they can do though.
Lawrence

Thanks. About the quilting, tell me about it - my mom only got into it a couple years back and she already has a whole room dedicated to it (my old bedroom, ironically). Pretty much everyone even in the extended family has one made by her now, though to be honest I have no idea how or when she gets it all done. What got her into doing it was when our church decided to start putting together "overnight bag" types of things for Child Protective Services to give to the kids they occasionally have to remove from homes. They make different ones for different ages and genders, and they have things like a toothbrush, age/gender appropriate toys, maybe a book, some pens or crayons, and who knows what all else - but every one has a handmade quilt or blanket from the church ladies. CPS has been really happy with it since it's taken quite a load off their backs locally, and this way the kids have some things that they can at least keep for their own no matter where they end up. It's amazing how much free materials get donated for it once word gets around too.

I'm working on a my first carving project for my wife for christmas, but since she checks out this forum I'll have to wait until after christmas to post any pictures.

What grit did you sand too on that birch before the first coat of tung oil?

Lawrence
As I sit I can see three quilts, and other quilty stuff!!!! I know there is more,,,afraid to look!!
Yup its worse than CAD!!!
I found her stash and that stopped the teasing about my CAD!!!!
Chainsaw parts bills no longer get me 'The Look'
Brad you do nice work!!
I have nothing on the go but did a door stop the other day.
Not worth posting that.

The birch backer board and the juniper piece were sanded to 220 grit with my 1/4 sheet palm sander. The knobs were sanded at 3500 RPM on the lathe with 320-grit emery roll. On that note, if you haven't tried it, emery roll is THE best stuff for sanding on the lathe. It comes in every grit imaginable and you can get it in very long rolls of hundreds of feet if you want, and sometimes even different widths. I keep a few different grits on hand, usually 60, 100, 150, 220, 320, and sometimes 400. It's easy to just tear a 6" piece off of a roll and it even tears endwise into narrower strips easily, to get into tight areas. It's also thicker and sturdier than regular sandpaper, and doesn't transmit heat through to your fingers as quickly. Anyway enough about that!

Bob, if you have to make doorstops you must not have enough saws kicking around yet! I have a couple that likely aren't going to run anytime soon and would make mighty fine doorstops or rowboat anchors!

I have not started on the Christmas projects yet. I do have a couple things that I have put together for the local volunteer fire departments silent action to go with all the quilts that will be there. Both my “mom” and “step mom” work together to make some of the quilts. (Much better then the earlier years) and yes they have more quilt stuff then I have sawmill stuff.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Chainsaws and Quilts

Brad and bigbadbob
I have told my wife about what you made for your Mom Brad,she was impressed.Bigbadbob I am taking it that your wife is a quilter as well.My wife started a couple of years back as well.She loves it,but most of the ladies are quite a bit older than her.According to my wife any of us fellas that collect chainsaws and their partners or Moms quilt well the chainsaw collectors just went up a notch.Finally she has saw the light.Any body want to start collecting chainsaw quilts, HAHAHA!
Lawrence

Brad and bigbadbob
I have told my wife about what you made for your Mom Brad,she was impressed.Bigbadbob I am taking it that your wife is a quilter as well.My wife started a couple of years back as well.She loves it,but most of the ladies are quite a bit older than her.According to my wife any of us fellas that collect chainsaws and their partners or Moms quilt well the chainsaw collectors just went up a notch.Finally she has saw the light.Any body want to start collecting chainsaw quilts, HAHAHA!
Lawrence

My wife is also a quilter, and a jewelry maker (she has her own vice and her own Dremel!) as well as being mad about horses!

Geeeeezzzzz!

Sorry about that Bob L didn't realize your partner was into the quilts as well.I read your post off to my my wife,her reply, Alright ! Brad has really started something now.I'm going to have a look and see what sort of Stihl,Husky and all other chainsaw manufacturer logo fabric there is out there.Chainsaw quilts,I wonder if CQAD-Chainsaw,Quilting,Addiction,Disorder exists.LOL!
Okay Brad, Sorry for messing with your thread!
Lawrence

My wife made me a very very nice outdoorsy type of quilt to keep me comfy, lots of hours into it.
But darn I bougt a nice boat today with a cracked block!!!
PROJECT!!!
Get that saw going Lawrence??
Brad get the 1-62 runing??
Got to Jred runing Friday.

The nice thing about having a housemate who is into quilting would be that if she came home with a new Husqvarna sewing machine... that makes it kind of a given that you can go get a new Husqvarna too. :)

Couple firewood projects for Xmas

Some great stuff there....that juniper wood is exquisite!

I was out gathering firewood a month ago and noted that some of the pieces I'd dragged in could be more than just kindling.
While slicing up some of that dried up old spruce discovered the most stable wood on the inside. This adds a new twist to just going out to search for dry stuff. ....course the painting displays some of the nice things one sees when its -50F.

Peterupnorth, those are both nice pieces.
I see where west coast juniper is planning to get a new mill up and running in Chiloquin Or. with up to 65 new jobs. Best news I have heard of in the industry out here. I picked up some 8x8x8 fence post from that west coast juniper had at the local farm store, took them home, and milled them up into lumber. Not to bad at $12.00 each.

My wife is also a quilter, and a jewelry maker (she has her own vice and her own Dremel!) as well as being mad about horses!

My wife has been a quilter for many years. When our son moved into his own place, I converted his bedroom to a quilting room for the wife. I even installed a cork floor so it would be easy on her feet when she stands for a long time. Our neighbor two doors down bought the house between us and converted it into a quilting house, now that is hard core quilting. We have saws, they have sewing machines. For her B-day I bought her this small Singer sewing machine because it was made the year she was born. Quilters are as bad about sewing machines as we are about chainsaws. At last count, my wife has more sewing machines than I have saws.

As for Christmas project for the wife, I started cutting out wood for a sewing thread cabinet for her quilting room. It will have multiple shelves to store the many rolls/colors of thread she uses. I have this feeling after she gets this one for Christmas, she will want a bigger one or a second one. When I get it put together I'll post pictures.

Also made a wood tool box for my 3yr. grandson for Christmas this week. I cut up scrap wood and blocks to fill the box. He almost spotted it today in the shop. Papa had to think fast and throw his shop apron over it. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

jerry-

Last edited:
My wife has been a quilter for many years. When our son moved into his own place, I converted his bedroom to a quilting room for the wife. I even installed a cork floor so it would be easy on her feet when she stands for a long time. Our neighbor two doors down bought the house between us and converted it into a quilting house, now that is hard core quilting. We have saws, they have sewing machines. For her B-day I bought her this small Singer sewing machine because it was made the year she was born. Quilters are as bad about sewing machines as we are about chainsaws. At last count, my wife has more sewing machines than I have saws.

As for Christmas project for the wife, I started cutting out wood for a sewing thread cabinet for her quilting room. It will have multiple shelves to store the many rolls/colors of thread she uses. I have this feeling after she gets this one for Christmas, she will want a bigger one or a second one. When I get it put together I'll post pictures.

Also made a wood tool box for my 3yr. grandson for Christmas this week. I cut up scrap wood and blocks to fill the box. He almost spotted it today in the shop. Papa had to think fast and throw his shop apron over it. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

jerry-

That IS hardcore...

I'll be making some building blocks for my nephew pretty soon - he's only just coming up on 6 months old, so I have a while yet. Maybe for his birthday.

That IS hardcore...

I'll be making some building blocks for my nephew pretty soon - he's only just coming up on 6 months old, so I have a while yet. Maybe for his birthday.
Brad you know those little polished colored birch figues, train sets, etc etc well they are made in an indescript building at the end of my street.
Here is the link, nice stuff I toured the plant,, cool how they do this stuff.
http://www.rlpalmer.com/custom.html

Some great stuff there....that juniper wood is exquisite!

I was out gathering firewood a month ago and noted that some of the pieces I'd dragged in could be more than just kindling.
While slicing up some of that dried up old spruce discovered the most stable wood on the inside. This adds a new twist to just going out to search for dry stuff. ....course the painting displays some of the nice things one sees when its -50F.

Gonna sooooooooo steal this idea! How did you seal the wood, and what
type (oil, acrylic, water) paint did you use? THANKS!

rep comming :clap:

Latest posts

Back