C'mon everyone, show your Christmas gift projects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks, how did you get my picture into the post like that? that is my older wood working buddies car to be rebuilt, he had 2 brand new ones after college, thats his next project as hes retiring next month, mine will be a huge all wooden mobil work table made from soft maple i milled off my own property

You can search something like posting pictures. I opened your picture, moved to the top in the bar (whatever that place is called) and copied the full link (of your picture that you posted). I then embedded it into my reply.
I'm having a problem posting the characters since it really wants me to put a picture in there rather than the actual characters...so...
You start with a square bracket with the letters img in it, then closing square bracket, then copy the link, then finish with another square bracket, a / and the letters img, then another square bracket at the end. Sometimes it adds other stuff like url in square brackets when I press paste at the front and at the end, but I just take those back out.

Well you better not show this photo to your buddy then. He might not like you using his next project as a work bench. I hope when you agreed to store the car you also took a set of keys. You never know when you need some screws from the store.

You can search something like posting pictures. I opened your picture, moved to the top in the bar (whatever that place is called) and copied the full link (of your picture that you posted). I then embedded it into my reply.
I'm having a problem posting the characters since it really wants me to put a picture in there rather than the actual characters...so...
You start with a square bracket with the letters img in it, then closing square bracket, then copy the link, then finish with another square bracket, a / and the letters img, then another square bracket at the end. Sometimes it adds other stuff like url in square brackets when I press paste at the front and at the end, but I just take those back out.

Well you better not show this photo to your buddy then. He might not like you using his next project as a work bench. I hope when you agreed to store the car you also took a set of keys. You never know when you need some screws from the store.

Now if that aint just confusing, take the car out for a nice drive and try to figure out how to post pics. When you get back just open the picture up copy the properties, click the insert image, clear the (http://) then past, and click ok. Be sure to wash and wax it when you are all done, and keep the fliuds fresh. I would have to remove about 4" of dust and remove a couple truck loads of "usable stuff" to pull the old truck out, not that it would not like to go for a nice spirng drive around the county.

Nice job. I like those big clocks...sound great. Nice workbench (toy in background with tools/lumber on it). That's clean.

attachment.php

Wives like to use them as clothes rack too. I catch my wife putting clothes from the dryer on my 66 Shelby and we end up having WORDS...

Had a buddy in high school who had a blue 383 Charger. Fun car!
jerry-

]I like the magnets they have on Mythbusters - they're about the size of a hockey puck. I'm not sure what their rating is but I've seen them do some absolutely insane stuff with 'em. They would probably be fairly easy to maim or kill yourself with if you weren't careful though. I have some fairly large RE magnets that I've ripped out of old computer hard drives and they're strong enough; I've had some brutal blood blisters on my fingers due to them slipping together at the wrong moment. I actually have a bracelet somewhere that I made out of nothing but a bunch of 5/16" rare earth magnets and 5/16" slingshot ammo in an alternating pattern. Even those buggers are strong enough to keep that thing on my wrist under almost all circumstances.

The 1" diameter magnets I use on my newer anti-bar-sag device can hold 37 lbs.
See http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=99773

The magnet from an old hard drive I used on my first anti-bar-sag device holds 35 lbs.

When it comes to powerful magnets that are cheap........Next time you see a microwave oven laying unwanted in a council clean-up, grab it and remove the magnetron (the strange looking thing with all the cooling fins on it) that is the heart of the oven.
I should issue a warning here> There are HIGH VOLTAGES inside that oven and they can be there for days or even weeks after the oven was used last. Some ovens can run at anywhere up to 6,000 volts and that, I can assure you, hurts like hell if you happen to put your hand on the wrong part!:dizzy::cry:
Anyway, inside that magnetron there are 2 circular (doughnut shaped actually) magnets (you need to dismantle the magnetron to get to the magnets:chainsaw::chainsaw:) that make really good clamps, suports, hanger-uppers or whatever you need a big, strong, cheap magnet for.
Have a merry Christmas,
Dennis.

Anyway, inside that magnetron there are 2 circular (doughnut shaped actually) magnets (you need to dismantle the magnetron to get to the magnets:chainsaw::chainsaw:) that make really good clamps, suports, hanger-uppers or whatever you need a big, strong, cheap magnet for.
Have a merry Christmas,
Dennis.[/QUOTE]

Dennis,

My friend is a GE tech and gets those doughnut magnets by the dozens and I'm lucky enough to get them from him. I take empty tuna fish cans that I open with one of those openers that leaves the rounded edge on the can. Then I mix epoxy and glue the magnet to the can. Now when I work on my saw blades I just stick it to the blade or steel handle and put the nuts/washers in the can, I never loose them that way.

jerry-

And if you find enough microwaves and keep the big transformers inside, you can build a welder out of them:

http://www.dansworkshop.com/electricity-and-electronics/homebuilt-arc-welder.htm

If you want extra fun with transformers though, grab a Neon sign transformer or a flyback transformer from an old CRT-style TV - these guys put out 12KV+ but at very low amperage. Dangerous for sure, but neat to play with.

Yeah, the capacitors store a fair sort of charge but some machines have a discharge resistor that will drain the capacitor of it's charge over a couple of days. Problem is, how do you tell if it is working? Best to discharge the capitor before starting to dismantle things.You need to short out the terminals on the capacitor with some sort of very well insulated jumper-wire, screwdriver or whatever. If there is a charge left in the cap, you should get a good size "splat!" when you short out the terminals so use an old screwdriver, not a good one:(.
Then you can dig out the Magnetron and start dismantleing it. Once you get the cooling fins off (usually just a press-fit) you can delve inside for the magnets at each end. I bought some magnetic welding clamps a while ago and they consisted of a doughnut-shaped magnet with 2 steel plates rivited to it, just like the magnets in a magnetron. You live and learn!
Have a happy Christmas and keep an eye out for old microeave ovens on the footpath/sidewalk.
Dennis.

My wife has been a quilter for many years. When our son moved into his own place, I converted his bedroom to a quilting room for the wife. I even installed a cork floor so it would be easy on her feet when she stands for a long time. Our neighbor two doors down bought the house between us and converted it into a quilting house, now that is hard core quilting. We have saws, they have sewing machines. For her B-day I bought her this small Singer sewing machine because it was made the year she was born. Quilters are as bad about sewing machines as we are about chainsaws. At last count, my wife has more sewing machines than I have saws.

As for Christmas project for the wife, I started cutting out wood for a sewing thread cabinet for her quilting room. It will have multiple shelves to store the many rolls/colors of thread she uses. I have this feeling after she gets this one for Christmas, she will want a bigger one or a second one. When I get it put together I'll post pictures.

Also made a wood tool box for my 3yr. grandson for Christmas this week. I cut up scrap wood and blocks to fill the box. He almost spotted it today in the shop. Papa had to think fast and throw his shop apron over it. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

jerry-

Well I finished my wife's Christmas gift in the nick of time today and my daughter has it all wrapped up. I made her a cabinet for her quilting room to put the many different colors of thread she uses on her embroidery machine. I think she will like it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here is one of the tool box I made my Grandson.

attachment.php

So I made the deadline.

jerry-

thanks, how did you get my picture into the post like that? that is my older wood working buddies car to be rebuilt, he had 2 brand new ones after college, thats his next project as hes retiring next month, mine will be a huge all wooden mobil work table made from soft maple i milled off my own property

Can't see the side marker lights, I would guess '69 Charger.

You fellas make some really kewl stuff, I am still waiting for my MK111 to get across the Rockies.

Arg, I need to find some good uses for me bootie, shelves for my toys should be an easy first project.

I saw a link for wooden bowls, made from Sycamore, it had surprisingly pretty grain. I think I need to start looking for a lathe now.

Thanks Guys', first chainsaws, now this, will it ever end! (I hope not)

Last edited:
The last issue of Wood Magazine had a chip and dip server plan that looked like fun to make so I made on and gave to my wife for Christmas--She was pleased--(walnut/maple)

attachment.php

Thanks Bob--
And thanks Brad, Yes I used a "bowl and tray" bit--1 1/4" and a collet extension. I had the bit but had to order a bearing for it. Seems they do not make a 1 1/4" x 1/2" bearing but have to press a 1/16" sleeve around the outside of a 1 1/8" x 1/2' bearing and charge double for it. I also ordered the collet extender.
I am not sure why but it seems that almost every project requires some tool that I do not already own--kinda neat how that happens though.

Back