C'mon everyone, show your Christmas gift projects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recognize a variation of this pattern from an old wood working magazine I have opened to that page out on my workbench. Lot of nice boards you got there.
attachment.php

The neck has a slot with a peg in it so that it will not come all of the way out. As to scale, nope just what the block of wood would yield. I used a Forstner bit to counter sink the legs and off center, I drilled counter sunk screw holes. Everything was turned on the lathe. The shell is English walnut the rest is maple. I mixed a small amount of green paint with some linseed oil for color.
attachment.php

I recognize a variation of this pattern from an old wood working magazine I have opened to that page out on my workbench. Lot of nice boards you got there.

Yeah, I first saw this type of board in a copy of Wood magazine.

That turtle's really neat. I like how the thinned paint mixed with the grain of the wood. At first, I thought I was looking at a stone.

Here's a rack I made over the weekend for my sister-in-law to hang the baby blankets etc. on:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The main frame parts are Cherry from a single 8" X 5' 4/4 board I picked up at the lumber supply. Paid $24.xx for the piece - Cherry doesn't grow up here, unfortunately! It's nothing really special, but did have some figure and mineral streaks that are interesting. The rungs are 1-1/8" Juniper dowels that I turned with the duplicator carriage on the lathe. It isn't a very fast process and results in a constant shower of chips in the face, but it works really well. It's hung via keyholes in the uprights.

So far it has two coats of tung oil on it; I'll probably give it a couple more and then seal it with shellac or something.

Last edited:
Projects

Brad your thread is moving along nicely for Christmas.Maybe more fellas will post as the time draws nearer.

You fellas sure have some great talent there.I'm sure there will be some very happy people come Christmas morning.
Lawrence

I enjoy seein others works!!

Some really great things you all have made. :clap:...I never would have thought I would enjoy a hobby as much as millin and woodworking...Amazed what everyone has made so far..
My 2 things so far is a jewerly box I made for a friend,,and a towell rack gettin sent off to Ca. to my Sis...Best what I enjoyed is it is all wood from my farm...
Hope more people post ,,,Enjoy seein so many diffrent things....
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I see that there has been some who have been spending some time in there work shops. Looking good.

attachment.php

The top spoon is a 3’ Myrtlewood, the next one is a black walnut spoon for Mac and cheese, the last one is a cherry fork for spaghetti. More to come.

Nice job guys. Mine isn't as exciting in my eyes but my wife really likes it. I was tired of always having to 'wire' a wreath to the door so I came up with this instead of wiring this year.
It's a wreath hanger. At first I used 3 x 1/2" rare earth magnets but with the thin metal of the door and the super heavy wreath she produced...I had to add a 1.25" one as well. Now she can hang anything on it and it will still stay stuck on. It's cherry, turned post, hand carved scallops around the edge. The big magnet is at the top so you can easily pull it off by grabbing the bottom.
Ssssshhhhh, She's also getting this new camera I'm using today. Super strong flash, I haven't figured out how to adjust the flash intensity yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Andrew96

Andrew real nice job you did there! I'm not that talented so I took a 3 1/2 inch spike and drove that in the front door, HAHAHA! Did you use the Lee Valley rare earth magnets?
Lawrence

Bowtechmadman

Your wife is a quilter also_Oh man it's an epidemic! Before my wife began I thought that was a hobby reserved just for little old granny types.Guess I was wrong.
But she did tell me that the majority of the women in the quilting club are older than her.
Lawrence

Andrew real nice job you did there! I'm not that talented so I took a 3 1/2 inch spike and drove that in the front door, HAHAHA! Did you use the Lee Valley rare earth magnets?
Lawrence

Ya...I got them as a present and never found a good use for them. The 3X 1/2" ones worked in the shop but not on the outside door. I used the cup and magnet with the 1.25". Had to get tools out when I 'tested' it on my table saw table. I couldn't remove it without tools.

Guys...just an update on those rare earth magnets. I had them around the shop stored away for a long time. I never had them out. I then did this project with them. All I can say is be very carefull where you put them. I now have a magnetized set of calipers....doesn't help much working on my metal lathe. I have a magnetized table saw table. Screws will roll from the side towards the area I stuck the magnets too when I epoxied them into the back (stuck down for maybe 10 minutes). A couple of screw drivers are sticky too. All are easy enough to deal with...my calipers are the only real problem. I wish I hadn't measured the magnets.

Nice projects

HOWEVER a true woodworker hasn't started on his Christmas project yet...

Merry Christmas All

Cherry Grandfather Clock

Here is a cherry grandfather clock i have been working on for the past few months, the cherry lumber was my first tree, taken down from side yard as it showed signs of rot, turned into a saw log and milled with my christmas present Alaskan MK3 two winters ago, last winter i met a fellow woodworker who is also into clocks, my mother is a fan of grandfather clocks so i decided to make her one with the 6"x8" beam i left and some 1" boards i sawed from the cherry, it was all warped a bit from drying it too quickly in house near woodstove, and the beam had sapwood and the heart which had started to rot, thursday i'm delivering it with the keninger works cable weights pendulum and chimes, 3 glass doors, and i didn't use any other fasteners other than the feet and door mounts, all the rest is held together with 3/8" dowels we made on the router with a full bullnose bit out of scrap cut offs

You guys have got some talent!

I will be attempting to build a small play pantry for my 2yr old daughter before Christmas but probably won't have it done until late Christmas eve! :dizzy: Not sure how this is going to turn out but I'll post pics of whetever I end up with.

Guys...just an update on those rare earth magnets. I had them around the shop stored away for a long time. I never had them out. I then did this project with them. All I can say is be very carefull where you put them. I now have a magnetized set of calipers....doesn't help much working on my metal lathe. I have a magnetized table saw table. Screws will roll from the side towards the area I stuck the magnets too when I epoxied them into the back (stuck down for maybe 10 minutes). A couple of screw drivers are sticky too. All are easy enough to deal with...my calipers are the only real problem. I wish I hadn't measured the magnets.

Hm, that's interesting. You usually have to swipe the magnet(s) over something repeatedly or leave them for an extended period of time to magnetize it. I deliberately magnetize most of my screwdrivers except the ones I use around my computers. Though ironically that's where a magnetic tip would probably come in handiest, since I'm forever dropping screws into tight spots.

I like the magnets they have on Mythbusters - they're about the size of a hockey puck. I'm not sure what their rating is but I've seen them do some absolutely insane stuff with 'em. They would probably be fairly easy to maim or kill yourself with if you weren't careful though. I have some fairly large RE magnets that I've ripped out of old computer hard drives and they're strong enough; I've had some brutal blood blisters on my fingers due to them slipping together at the wrong moment. I actually have a bracelet somewhere that I made out of nothing but a bunch of 5/16" rare earth magnets and 5/16" slingshot ammo in an alternating pattern. Even those buggers are strong enough to keep that thing on my wrist under almost all circumstances.

Hm, that's interesting. You usually have to swipe the magnet(s) over something repeatedly or leave them for an extended period of time to magnetize it.

Well I don't know how long they will last. The table saw still holds screws...the calipers still pick up everything.
The really big ones on MBusters are crazy. Very fun.

Back