C'mon everyone, show your Christmas gift projects

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I wound up with. Started cutting boards to length Tuesday night but didn't really get going on it until Christmas Eve. This will go along with an Elmo restaurant my daughter got for her birthday. She loves that thing so my wife bought her some dishes and food and wanted something to organize it all. This is what she got:

attachment.php

attachment.php

So far it has been a hit with my two kids. They have been taking orders from us and bringing out meals. :clap:

Here is what I wound up with. Started cutting boards to length Tuesday night but didn't really get going on it until Christmas Eve. This will go along with an Elmo restaurant my daughter got for her birthday. She loves that thing so my wife bought her some dishes and food and wanted something to organize it all. This is what she got:

attachment.php

attachment.php

So far it has been a hit with my two kids. They have been taking orders from us and bringing out meals. :clap:

Great Job Dad! Looks great and I'll bet the little lady likes it a lot?

jerry-

Thanks Bob--
And thanks Brad, Yes I used a "bowl and tray" bit--1 1/4" and a collet extension. I had the bit but had to order a bearing for it. Seems they do not make a 1 1/4" x 1/2" bearing but have to press a 1/16" sleeve around the outside of a 1 1/8" x 1/2' bearing and charge double for it. I also ordered the collet extender.
I am not sure why but it seems that almost every project requires some tool that I do not already own--kinda neat how that happens though.

Funny you had the same issue finding a bearing as I did. My bit is a Freud, and I know the bearing is available from them, for a ridiculous price. After checking all the local bearing & machine shops I came up empty too. Then after digging through a bunch of random ones I had downstairs, I found a couple that were EXACTLY what I needed, though I think they're a bit thicker than the Freud ones. I've put the mic on them and they're about .005" larger diameter than the bit's cutters. Nothing a bit of sanding can't take care of. They fit the shank like a glove too. I know I bought these bearings for some project or another a while ago, but can't remember for the life of me what it was. Obviously wasn't that important!

Delux Camping oven

This is more of a New Year project since we're going camping at a caravan park on the south coast of Western Australia that (very unusual for Australia at this time of the year) allows fires in an open drum even in the middle of summer . We call it camping but we go with 2 vehicles (large hired camper van complete with bathroom, plus our stationwagon) and all the mod cons we can carry.

For several years we used a Stainless Steel drum from a clothes drier as a fire place and it has been great. That part is the lower half of the contraption below. Place a steel plate on the top of the drum for BBQ - take top off steel plae for evening campfire ambience.

To aid ventilation when using BBQ plate on the original drum I drilled more holes in the bottom and cut and added a small doorway on the side to allow wood to be added The steel hinges on the small doorway finally rusted solid over winter so they needed to be replaced. I have two spare drums and was thinking about replacing the old drum. instead I decided to use a drum as a second story camp oven. And here is the final product.

attachment.php

I'm not that happy with the chimney adapter but it will do for now until I form a nice sheet metal cone.

The brushed SS strap and most of the other steel was chimnet left over from another project and all I had to buy was the top half of the chimney, and the SS hinges and rivets.

attachment.php

Extra wide oven doorway for easy getting stuff in and out.
attachment.php

Inside it has a 1mm thick flame deflector plate and a SS grate 30 mm above that for resting cookware on.
We're thinking baked whole fish, pizza and bread seeing as SWMBO has the appliance from heaven or is it hell that you throw stuff into and out comes bread dough ready to bake.

I have no idea if it will work, it has very little thermal mass so the wood will have to be kept up to it - I will report back soon.

Oh yeah - and it comes apart for easy transport.
attachment.php

We call it camping but we go with 2 vehicles (large hired camper van complete with bathroom, plus our stationwagon) and all the mod cons we can carry.

Around here we just call it Rving..since I don't have a tent...just a Motorhome which sounds like what you rented (complete with everything). I see the cool BBQ/Fire pit thingy you made...but what is it that you took with you? Is this local lingo? What are "mod cons". Maybe I need some?

Around here we just call it Rving..since I don't have a tent...just a Motorhome which sounds like what you rented (complete with everything). I see the cool BBQ/Fire pit thingy you made...but what is it that you took with you? Is this local lingo? What are "mod cons". Maybe I need some?

Yeah - It's RV-ing.

What we took with us was the whole thing.
attachment.php

Mod cons are modern conveniences, food processor to make the pizza dough, coffee grinder, laptop, etc.

Yesterday SWMBO made scones (cross between bread and cake)
attachment.php

To go with the home made apricot jello she made from the 10lb of apricots we picked off the local trees.
attachment.php

Yeah - It's RV-ing.

What we took with us was the whole thing.
attachment.php

Mod cons are modern conveniences, food processor to make the pizza dough, coffee grinder, laptop, etc.

Yesterday SWMBO made scones (cross between bread and cake)
attachment.php

To go with the home made apricot jello she made from the 10lb of apricots we picked off the local trees.
attachment.php

Bob,

Your making us hungry....

Cool BBQ/oven.

jerry-

jerry-

Thanks BobL. Yup...makes me wish we could take off Rving right now. A bit cold though. While you say mods and cons...I just say all the gadgets. Same thing. Sounds like your Rving is the same as mine....always way too much fun. Though we do eat scones...not from an oven like that one. Nice job...works...portable, looks good.

Latest posts

Back