cold starting 555 issue!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIM81

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had my new 555 for three months love it but it is very hard to start when cold or even off for a few hours. I am running the husky canned gas now as I am not running the saw much as firewood is all done , when it does start it runs good as long as I keep it hot it will start right back up even after re-fueling and chain touch ups but once it cools off more then that have to do the throttle start again. I have 2 cans and about 1/2 gallon of mix through the saw so far it has done this since the 2nd to 3rd week . I set the choke prime 7-8 times hit the de-comp button and pull and pull and pull and it will not even pop the only way i get it to start is holding the throttle WO and the pull and it will fire 2nd or 3rd pull! I gave the search a quick look and only seen hot starting issues. This is the only husky product I have had with this starting issue all my other husky toys start right up after the choke,prime,de-comp,pop- off choke pull and running routine! Any ideas that I can try before trip to dealer would be much appreciated! Thanks

If it's only 3 months old it should still be under warranty. Take it to the dealer and let them have a look at it.

You can try setting the choke and then pushing it back in one notch to engage the fast idle and see if the saw starts cold that way. When you squeeze the trigger the fast idle is disengaged so this should be close to holding the throttle to start.

My 562 doesn't pop on choke. I pull it twice then switch to fast idle then it usually starts in two pulls. I also don't use the decomp.

In more detail, I think it's your decomp valve. I've heard sometimes it takes some time for it to properly seat or something like that(I'm no expert on correct terms) on some of the new saws w/decomp) . So when you use it, you don't hear the pop & Continue to pull thus flooding it. The way to start these saws when flooded is to hold the throttle wide open while pulling on it & it starts just as you described.
So stop using it run a few more tanks of gas through it & it should settle in.
I had this happen w/me & my 562xp when new once or twice same thing you said, I just said screw the decomp. & don't use it anymore never had the trouble since. I usually can get mine started on the 2nd pull if I want to, cold.
Hope this helps, let us know if it does or not.

I have a 550XP and a 545 and they have never given any starting trouble.

Latest posts

Back