Collapse!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got all dressed and headed for the woodpile to continue with the splitting project. Got shortstopped to sort out this mess:

crash.jpg

There was a 4x6 running between the RR ties up near the top holding the tops of the 2x4s. Guess it was pretty good construction as it held for around 25 years. Mistake was not morising the 4x6 in deep enough (only about an inch). One (or both) of the ties must have shifted.

Aftermath - still some cleanup to do:

aftermath.jpg

Probably still be some coming down for a day or two.

Harry K

Eyeballing the pile where I threw the stuff I would say I have around 1/2 cord to stack with the stuff I am currently splitting. Have to cart it around the other side. Jusst gives me another excuse to be out there fondling my wood...firewood that is.

Harry K

I keep some of my wood stacked up on the front porch in 3 layers. Last night I came home and the stack closest to the house had fallen into the next one and it fell into the front one and they were all leaning. As soon as I touched it the whole thing collapsed off the porch into the yard:

collapsedl9.jpg

I keep some of my wood stacked up on the front porch in 3 layers. Last night I came home and the stack closest to the house had fallen into the next one and it fell into the front one and they were all leaning. As soon as I touched it the whole thing collapsed off the porch into the yard:

collapsedl9.jpg
Here's a diagram of a crisscross end stacking method that I use that eliminates all of these problems. I never have to use a side stake or support of any kind and can go up at least 7 to 8 feet.
FirewoodStackMethod.gif

I usually just make sure that the crisscrossed end stack leans about 5 degrees toward the center of the pile.

Last edited:
Here's a diagram of a crisscross end stacking method that I use that eliminates all of these problems. I never have to use a side stake or support of any kind and can go up at least 7 to 8 feet.
FirewoodStackMethod.gif

I usually just make sure that the crisscrossed end stack leans about 5 degrees toward the center of the pile.

===

How do you manage to get all your wood cut all nice an symetrical like that????????:confused: :confused:

===

How do you manage to get all your wood cut all nice an symetrical like that????????:confused: :confused:

It's really simple. Just make sure that Microsoft Publisher draws the picture after I'm through. Heh Heh Heh!

Actually, there is a little skill involved because no two logs are exactly alike. The two end crisscross stacks are important. What I do is try to select three logs about the same size for each layer. Surprisingly, they can be either split or round and it will still work. What is important is that if three logs are involved in each layer, the center log must be a little smaller than the outside two.

Second, to get the crisscross stack to lean slightly inward, always put the largest of the three that run parallel to the logs in the bulk of the stack at the outside position.

Give it a try. Believe me, it works. A stitch in time saves nine. :)

Pssst... The older fellow I split logs with always asks me to help stack his piles of wood. He hates pounding end stakes in too and likes the crisscross method that I use on the ends. None of his stacks of wood have ever collapsed either.

But, if nobody tries, nobody will be successful.

Last edited:
===

symetrical? :confused: Dang government anyway, we been cutting 'merican wood all these years and now its metric???
No wonder the pile fell over prolly an old Inch pattern porch and it dint fit right.

Boy Im glad to see Im not the only one that happens too. I even thought about taking a level out to the wood pile when stacking to keep things nice and straight. But I figure as the wood dries it will move around some and it wont matter.

I have been using the stacking method mentioned above for years it works great. Give it a try and you won't be stacking twice..

FirewoodStackMethod.gif

I always called the crisscross ends a "crib". Also referred to it as a "cribbed" stack of wood. Anyway, what I like to do, if I have enough pieces, is to use the sapwood splits off of bigger rounds for the crib wood. They generally lay nice and flat, and if you have a decent aim with a maul, they are fairly close to the same size.

My neighbor walked over the other day and asked me where I learned how to stack wood like that without end stakes. He said, "Those big piles have never fallen down. It's amazing."

I said, "Well, I read that idea in a book about 20 years ago and decided to try it. However, there were no details on how to do it. You learn that from experience. However, it reminds me a little of the way I used to build fieldstone walls in Connecticut years ago. No pounded in stakes held the ends of those walls up either."

Actually Doc I wa sjust busting your balls:cheers: ,
Been stacking like that for years...

How do you embed your pictures into your post and not have to link the???:confused:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back