Collapse!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you embed your pictures into your post and not have to link the???

Just attach it, view the image and then cut and paste the url into window that comes up when you click on the yellow mountain (image) icon. Then Submit

attachment.php

Last edited:
I always called the crisscross ends a "crib". Also referred to it as a "cribbed" stack of wood. Anyway, what I like to do, if I have enough pieces, is to use the sapwood splits off of bigger rounds for the crib wood. They generally lay nice and flat, and if you have a decent aim with a maul, they are fairly close to the same size.

I have seen it as "chimney stacking". Used to do it and still do when I have to. It also helps to overlap the inside piece with the wood inside the rick - firms it up.

I hate having to do it, takes way too long sorting and picking pieces. I built some "book ends" from 1x6 that hold the ends on my 2 cords in the back porch. I'll have to look to see if I still have a picture somewhere of one. I also use unsplit rounds and half rounds as a 'fence' to hold the ends of my ricks when I run out room in the areas with the RR tie racks.

Harry K

Last edited:
Actually Doc I was just busting your balls:cheers: ,
Been stacking like that for years...

Oh yeah? I figured you were spooffin' me. :jester:

What is interesting is that most the toppling forces are concentrated at the bottom, and that's where the criss-cross stack is the strongest. As it gets taller, it's own weight strengthens the bottom. At the top, the horizontal forces exerted by the rest of the stack are minimal.

Corrolary: When you use up your stock, try to even it out so that the outside criss-cross stack is lowered last to preserve its strength.

Last edited:
I'm either lucky or lazy. I don't stack a thing. I back up to the boiler or along my garage and toss em out in a heap.

Oh yeah? I figured you were spooffin' me. :jester:

What is interesting is that most the toppling forces are concentrated at the bottom, and that's where the criss-cross stack is the strongest. As it gets taller, it's own weight strengthens the bottom. At the top, the horizontal forces exerted by the rest of the stack are minimal.

Corrolary: When you use up your stock, try to even it out so that the outside criss-cross stack is lowered last to preserve its strength.

I have been stacking my wood like this for three years now and have no problems. Just try to keep it down to 7 or 8 feet tall, as the length does not matter, just the height.

IMG_0485.jpg

i just split and throw into a pile. I gave up on stacking the wood all nice and pretty. Found that it cures just the same whether it is stacked nice and neatly or loose stacked in a pile. The pile is easier to make.

i use T-posts on most piles that i use and reuse alot, just quicker to stack.
but the 'extra' stacks i need up at the house to get through the winter i also cross/stack. takes a little longer to get it up and going due to picking/chooseing the 'best' end peices.
and when i'm splitting that's where it's nice to have the BIG rounds to split up, you can work them down to same size flat pecies that stack realllllllllll nice :D

ole tukey way

symetrical? :confused: Dang government anyway, we been cutting 'merican wood all these years and now its metric???
No wonder the pile fell over prolly an old Inch pattern porch and it dint fit right.

thats d:clap: ere is funny.....dony keer where ya from

Finally finished sorting it out.

cleaned.jpg

Rather slow progress as I was working in between showers for several days, cleaning up the usual wood pile mess, burning, shopping trips etc. Was close to end so I went out while raining to finish it up an hour ago.

Pile still to be split that got shortstopped by the collapse:

split.jpg

That and the ricks behind it are all locust cut this year - should be around 8 or 9 cords when finished.

Then the shock as I looked at the old pile. I didn't realize there was that much there;

old.jpg

Everything from that scoop shovel (leans agains stack just past the nose of the cart) to the fence is also all locust. I cut it somewhere back in the early 90s. Saved it for my "retirement' when me and saws don't get along anymore.

Harry K

The new stuff yes, The old? Hmmm... Poulan 4000 and Johnnyred 625 IIRC. May have used an 041 there too. That stuff was the result of a really bad blow down. Swath about a mile wide and 20 miles long went through. I got 'clear cut' to two full stands of locust. One of my best scores ever.

Harry K

Back