comments on old stihl 031 AV'S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned up my dad's and used it over Thanksgiving to detach these root wads from some pines blown over in a storm. My Dad planted them bare-root in 1963 when he bought the property. I used a bucking cut with the short bar on the saw -- which is the ORIGINAL -- notice the burrs; should have filed them as well:msp_rolleyes:

As far as I know, the saw, bought in 1974, is completely original and hasn't even had a tune up, although it has only been used rarely for the last 20 years or so. Got some hard use early on; we used it with a Sears version of an Alaskan mill to rip planks from eastern Hemlock; hard wood -- the knots shot sparks, as I remember; my job was to hold down the other end of the log!

View attachment 276779View attachment 276780View attachment 276781View attachment 276782

Last edited:
There are still a lot of them out there, but between the ignitions dieing, and rewind parts are all obsolete, fixing them is getting rough.

They were 50cc's and a common setup around here is 3/8" with a 16/18" hard nose bar. I have seen a couple with 24" bars and had no idea how they could pull them.

A friend has the 031 AV that he bought new in 1980-81. He runs a 28" bar and has been cutting this morning on a very large fallen Maple tree on our land. It runs the bar very well. The technique seems to be a very sharp chain and a bit of patience. He has a new Stihl within the past year, but prefers the old 031. It starts easier. And, yes, the 031 coil has failed. He found a new one in South Dakota.

Picked up this 032 for $35 from a bloke that said he just wanted rid of it because it didn't cut straight...

Machining almost as new on the piston. V high comp and much more pokey than expected. Surprisingly smooth runner, might have something to do with the weight. Even cut straight once the bar was the dressed :)

IMG_5256 (Large).JPG IMG_5254 (Large).JPG IMG_5267 (Large).JPG

The biggest weakness I have seen on these is not even the ignition, as good used and some NOS parts are available; the rubber a/v mounts are nearly impossible to find and every saw I have worked on has had at least a few torn up mounts.

I got the last good used set from Bplust.

These are good old quality built saws, but owners should really hoard some good a/v mounts when they come available and some of the coils and points; with these parts as spares, you can keep an 031/032 going for a long time.

The biggest weakness I have seen on these is not even the ignition, as good used and some NOS parts are available; the rubber a/v mounts are nearly impossible to find and every saw I have worked on has had at least a few torn up mounts.

I got the last good used set from Bplust.

These are good old quality built saws, but owners should really hoard some good a/v mounts when they come available and some of the coils and points; with these parts as spares, you can keep an 031/032 going for a long time.
That's what I need is parts for mine, any suggestions on decent aftermarket parts? Id love to get this thing back running.. thanks

Hi guys. I did a little googling on my newtome 031AV. Got it for $5, previous owner thought it was dead. Blew about 5 yrs of dust off, some fresh fuel and after about 10 pulls she fired up and purred. Will post a few pics if i can.

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

4bf9cb26901a2189faf4ed98a9cc85dc.jpg

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back