Common Battery Platform?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
One of the concerns about battery powered tools, including chainsaws, is that each brand has unique batteries that are not compatible with tools produced by other companies. Some companies even have different lines which are not compatible with others made by the same company. This is different than gas chainsaws, which use mixed gas from any company, and corded electric chainsaws, which use any conventional extension cord.

So I was really interested to see this in my Facebook feed: a common battery platform to be shared across multiple manufacturers and brands of tools.

https://www.powerforall-alliance.com/en/
Includes some big name manufacturers. Not sure how it affects existing products. Not sure where it is going, but will be interesting to watch.

63F58F71-E52C-4FA2-B7AF-4108CAE0361A.jpeg

Philbert

That would be great. I have all older 18V Dewalt tools and can't find new batteries local. They have adapters to convert to 20V but then the tool is heavier Not a fan of one's advertised online. On a side note, I just saw the EU is going to require standardized plugs for cell phones and such.

If you have Milwaukee 18V tools......

They changed battery mount from last version to the new "M18". They make an adapter, ~$15 on ebay, to run the new batteries on the older 18V tools. They work fine not bulky and also have a 5V usb to charge other things from the tool battery. Newer bats are higher capacity if you have older tools.

I found this out as I got a box of the older milwaukee tools (hammer drill, circular saws, sawzall, ....) at a farm auction for $20, but I have the newer tools/bats/chargers. Didn't know if they worked? They all do......

milwaukee haul.jpg

1 converter.png

That would be great. I have all older 18V Dewalt tools and can't find new batteries local. They have adapters to convert to 20V but then the tool is heavier Not a fan of one's advertised online. On a side note, I just saw the EU is going to require standardized plugs for cell phones and such.
I just bought a battery for my 18v DeWalt drill. It's not a ni-cad battery but an Nimh one, charges and fits the same as the oem battery and I really like it. There's plenty of them on 'the bay..

I just bought a battery for my 18v DeWalt drill. It's not a ni-cad battery but an Nimh one, charges and fits the same as the oem battery and I really like it. There's plenty of them on 'the bay..
I did this too for my old 18v milwaukee drill/driver Can use the old charger for nimh
but eventually went to an adapter, new charger and lithium for that tool
hate to get rid of old school quality tools but at some point it makes more sense to just buy new lithium tools

I did this too for my old 18v milwaukee drill/driver Can use the old charger for nimh
but eventually went to an adapter, new charger and lithium for that tool
hate to get rid of old school quality tools but at some point it makes more sense to just buy new lithium tools
Do you know if the old 18V chargers can be used on the new M18 lithium batteries using an adapter?

I've got 4 of the old chargers that I got with the tool lot mentioned on post #4.

I just have bought the $$$ Milwaukee Li batteries, they have lasted years so far. Might invest in higher cap ones but damm, they are more expensive than some tools!

Do you know if the old 18V chargers can be used on the new M18 lithium batteries using an adapter?

I've got 4 of the old chargers that I got with the tool lot mentioned on post #4.

I just have bought the $$$ Milwaukee Li batteries, they have lasted years so far. Might invest in higher cap ones but damm, they are more expensive than some tools!
I don't think you can use the old nicad Milwaukee chargers with lithium but they do work with Nimh as mentioned

If you have Milwaukee 18V tools......

They changed battery mount from last version to the new "M18". They make an adapter, ~$15 on ebay, to run the new batteries on the older 18V tools. They work fine not bulky and also have a 5V usb to charge other things from the tool battery. Newer bats are higher capacity if you have older tools.

I found this out as I got a box of the older milwaukee tools (hammer drill, circular saws, sawzall, ....) at a farm auction for $20, but I have the newer tools/bats/chargers. Didn't know if they worked? They all do......

I loves me some M18 tools! I'll have to check out the new batteries.

BTW, that's a hell of a score for $20!!! YOU SUCK!!!

Back