COMPACT saw you would call "Powerful"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like everyone else, 346XP, but also a Husky 353 if you can get a good deal on it. If you are paying retail then it is worth the extra $75 or so to up the ante to the 346.

To be a little different here.....

I might get beat up for this, but also check out the Stihl 260. They are about the same price as the 346, not as powerful, and vibrate a bit more. HOWEVER, if you are used to and/or partial to Stihl, they are great saws. They're a little lighter than the 346, and hell for stout. My experience with them is that they are slightly less finicky than they 346 too.

I own both the 346 and 260, and don't want to part with either!

Dolmar PS-401

Dolmar PS-401...light and seems to cut almost as well as many larger models. I haven't even broken mine in but after a few tanks of fuel it seems real strong and torquey...even in large wood.

Next summer, I'm thinking about selling a medium size chainsaw, a Stihl 390, to replace with something small. Some of you might call the 390 small.

Anyhow, I send any climbing work to another local arborist, and am sticking with small to medium size pruning. If anything was big, it would be with the other arborist, and I could use one of his saws on the ground.

Already down-sized from my 385XP several years ago, and feel like this year would be a good time downsize one more time.

Mainly thinking of a saw that to cut 3" to 12", probably 90% of the time 5" and smaller.

What would be your suggestion, or maybe a few suggestions. I'm open to any brand except Sachs Dolmar, because the only one I bought had an engine which broke in less than 10 hours of use.

By powerful, I don't mean kick-ass Terminator powerful, but along the lines of dynamite comes in small packages, Bruce Lee powerful. Definitely as compact as I can go for size and weight. Thanks.

Sounds like you need a 346xp - but somehow I feel like this is a trick question?????

:biggrinbounce2::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
No Dolmar/Makita 401 or 5100

These are nice saws for their size, but he said specifically that he didn't want a Dolmar. Anyone have experience with the smaller Solo's - 651 or 656 maybe?

You sure about that? I think the ms211 can be had for about 250 clams.

Yup, around $270 here. Great saw for the $$$. For a tiny screamer, the MS200 is the one. You will pay for it though.

If you will be using a 16" b&c buried most of the time, 50cc should be considered. I know you mentioned no Dolmar, but the 5100 is a power house. Find a good dealer and he will fix any problems. The Stihl 260 and husky 346 are good options also.

I will have to speak up for the Redmax3800, also. It gets a lot of use. I bought my second one of E-bay,new, for $199. It pays to have a spare!
I had a Dolmar401 and liked it but after the Redmax I sold the 401 to my neighbor.

Next summer, I'm thinking about selling a medium size chainsaw, a Stihl 390, to replace with something small. Some of you might call the 390 small.

Anyhow, I send any climbing work to another local arborist, and am sticking with small to medium size pruning. If anything was big, it would be with the other arborist, and I could use one of his saws on the ground.

Already down-sized from my 385XP several years ago, and feel like this year would be a good time downsize one more time.

Mainly thinking of a saw that to cut 3" to 12", probably 90% of the time 5" and smaller.

What would be your suggestion, or maybe a few suggestions. I'm open to any brand except Sachs Dolmar, because the only one I bought had an engine which broke in less than 10 hours of use.

By powerful, I don't mean kick-ass Terminator powerful, but along the lines of dynamite comes in small packages, Bruce Lee powerful. Definitely as compact as I can go for size and weight. Thanks.

Sounds to me like you are describing the Ryobi 10532!

And for the cost of most of the saws that have been mentioned here you can have 5 of them!!!
The 346 would be a good choice if you were cutting a lot more of the stuff 8"+ but the 3"-5" stuff is where the little Ryobi really shines.
JMHO

Mike

Shindaiwa 446S

I have been looking at specs for these; pro type construction, rim drive
sprocket, adjustable oiler & will pull 18" .325 chain max. (44cc).

From what the OP has said it would be the NE346xp.But if he wants something more lighter and compact (90% 5" and smaller) than MS200 or 339XP both rear handle saws.

Husqvarna 435

I have one, good running little light saw. I modded it today by changing
starter assembly to e-type spring assist. Other than being a little hard
to pull-on with original starter, it is a strong little saw. They come with
.325 NK bar & chain, in my opinion, better than 3/8 LP for this (41cc)
saw.

I also modded my old Poulan S25 by removing Oregon 91 VG hump-backed
safety chain & replacing with Carlton N1C-BL. (3/8 LP).

You sure about that? I think the ms211 can be had for about 250 clams.

Can't find the same page right now, but I read the price twice. I'll bet they entered the price in wrong, or accidentally put he ms211 model when maybe it should have been ms200.

Just found several more places between your 250 clams and 290 clams.

The 5100 isn't even worth considering - the weight and specially the handling makes it no fun to use in smaller wood!

I know it wasn't, but it was mentioned. But you think a 346 is the best saw for 5'' wood? sorry way overkill! You think the 346 is that much lighter than the 5100? wow

I know it wasn't, but it was mentioned. But you think a 346 is the best saw for 5'' wood? sorry way overkill! You think the 346 is that much lighter than the 5100? wow

No, the weight difference is a minor factor - the important one is the difference in how they handle!

It really is to bad the dolmar is out. The 420 would do anything he is asking much better than the other 40cc contenders!

Back