compact tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blades

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Recommendations requested. Min. functional hp required to actually be able to run implements and such ( fel, back hoe, blower ). I know pricey. Not to sure about used as I'm not real keen on someone else's problem child. Getin old and cranky, what can I say.

You can run implements on any size CUT, its a matter of what job you are trying to accomplish and how fast.

I've got a 21HP Kubota with FEL, light in the pants but with only "homeowner" duties the thing is great. Can't see putting a BH on such a small machine, also got too good of a deal on mine and couldn't justify doubling the price to add one on. PTO is sized to run a blower for sure, but not say a chipper gobbling down 6" limbs.

Need more info on what you want to do.

I have the Grand 3130. Something like 32 horse. I'd go bigger if I had to do it over. This one is strong enough to run all attachments, but the attachments are relatively small. For me, the biggest advantage is the size; its small and nimble and can easily move through the woods. The biggest disadvantage is the power; it has just enough, but more would mean a bigger fel capable of picking up larger logs.

I :heart::heart: my tractor.

attachment.php

I have a Kubota B30-30 and have been quite happy with it. It's a smaller frame 30 hp tractor than the one above. I have been abusing Kubota tractors for 25 years and in that time the 4 that I have owned, I had only had problems with one model a L3400. The PTO was not built right or heavy enough for my type of use. If money is no problems I suggest a B26. They are without a doubt the best compact back hoe made and you can drop the hoe in about 60 seconds and use any implelment made that attatches to a PTO or three point hitch.Here's my 30-30.
028640x480.jpg

Last edited:
The last few years kubota has been offering a special on backhoe and loader, 4x4 machine in the mid to upper teens for price. Lots of chores can get done for that price.

CUT's usually have a low lifting height though, 6' or so. It was deal breaker for me when I thought of loading a one ton dump from the side.

My 72 ford lifts 10' and can run any cat 1 and some cat 2 implements. Used backhoes can be found for 1500-3000 if you are patient. Renting a mini hoe is often a better way to go depending on your needs.

Searching and test driving is an education in itself, spent two years before I found something that would lift what I needed and not break the bank.

Let us know what you find and how you like it.

Without getting brand specific, I'd say go test drive a few and see what fits you best. I would also not recommend going below 28hp in my selection.

Size, power, weight, are all relative to what you will be asking it to do.

Bear in mind cost goes up with power proportionately as does size past a certain point.

There are multiple tradeoffs involved with any tractor, and is why folks end up with several.LOL!!

Whatcha looking to do with the thing?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Without getting brand specific, I'd say go test drive a few and see what fits you best. I would also not recommend going below 28hp in my selection.

Everybody I know that has "Settled" with less grunt than they would like, always ended up buying another tractor and losing money.

There's a spot between 25hp and 50hp that is absolutely a quandry.LOL!!!
Too wide, too narrow, too light, not enough gear, etc.
The perfect small GP tractor has yet to be made, but I reckon it was on the drawing board the day IH closed.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My little Kubota B8200 is older and smaller than everyone else who has posted . But I am still amazed at what that 19 horse tractor can do . I think tractors are like saws and it is nice to have a few different sizes for different jobs . If money were no concern I would get as big a tractor that I would still feel comfortable with around the yard and woodlot . I can fit my tractor into some pretty tight spaces . As far as attachments there is no such thing as enough . I will own a bigger machine someday but probably won't get rid of the little one .

Thanks for the input. I do have a NH LX485 ss .30hp or so but only 11gpm which makes a blower not so good. about 1200 lift, high enough to dump in a reg. dump truck. Duties would be mowing, transport/tow and ground contact equipment, an fel would be very handy as the ss is tough on the turf ( sinks in besides tearing things up) kind of a pain to lay down 15 or 20 sheets of osb all the time

I recently bought a Kubota L3800DT, 38hp, with loader and absolutely love it. I have an older, larger Kubota but needed something a bit smaller and more nimble. I'm amazed at what this tractor can do, for it's size. Been running Kubotas 28 years and will stick with em! :msp_smile:

Went from a Cat 931C track loader, with a 4-in-1 bucket (avatar pic), to a Kubota L5740 with a FEL.

It has been a tough transition.

I do like how nimble the tractor is, but really miss the loader capacity and stability of the Cat.

It is nice to be able to move the tractor with a full size pickup/work van, and have found a pile of uses around the house for the FEL.

Thanks for the input. I do have a NH LX485 ss .30hp or so but only 11gpm which makes a blower not so good. about 1200 lift, high enough to dump in a reg. dump truck. Duties would be mowing, transport/tow and ground contact equipment, an fel would be very handy as the ss is tough on the turf ( sinks in besides tearing things up) kind of a pain to lay down 15 or 20 sheets of osb all the time

One of the top reasons I went with something that rolled instead of skidding. Where I do my firewood is clay base and greasy in the spring/fall, you know, the perfect temps to work firewood and that area grows back green and flat each spring from not tearing the bejeebers out of it, even when removing snow with the bucket without a float valve.

You'll be looking at turf tires then, it will change the price. Plenty of folks trade up for more , not necessarily due to an elect/mech problem with a unit. There are some very nice diesel, sometimes 4x4, units out there , like the ford 1720 type, quite capable for what you want and sip the fuel during mowing.

Stop in at the service shops within 30 miles of you and talk to the parts guys or the service techs to get a handle on what spends little time in the shop versus money pits, maybe ask what they'd spend their money on regardless of brand or year. I spent a couple years looking, asking questions, driving, checking specs, parts availability on the aftermarket, ease of service at home since trailering it to an $85/hr shop was out of the question.

One big upside to getting something used, you won't be so afraid of that first scratch.

I have a 2710 Kobuta,27 HP, and it works well. It has a loader, scraper, tiller, and flail mower. Also have a 125 International crawler, loader, hoe. I don't use the 125 much since I bought the 2710. I used to do excavating/drilling and used to have a 150 Komatsu excavator.
The small/mid size 4WD tractors will do a lot of work for their size, and attachments are reasonably priced. I'm in the hills so 4WD is a must.

We just bought a Kubota B2620 (26 engine HP and 18 PT0 HP) with Loader, Boxblade and 4' brush hog to help clear and maintain our 6 acres. I cannot believe how I got anything done before. I can do things in 20 minutes that use to take all day if it got done at all. I looked at the Sub Compacts and they didn't have the ground clearance or lifting capabilities. Also the BX and 1 series from Deere had a limited CAT 1 3 point which limited rental implements. My brother in law just got the same tractor with a backhoe and really isn't happy with the limited performance of the backhoe. For the price, one could rent an excavator more than a few times.

I went with the Kubota for a few different reasons; 3 speed HST, metal fenders and hood, Full gauges, resale and great financing. Initially we were looking for a clean used unit but with the way the small tractors hold their value and the 0% financing, we decided to purchase new.

Last edited:
Hello,
I just bought (like 4 days ago) a 2002 New Holland TC35D 4-wheel drive tractor, with front end loader. It has 35 HP and a full metal cab with heat and 740 hours on the clock !!!! It is really a nice tractor, but I can't really give you much of a use report since I've only had it a few days !!!!! I saw someone mentioned that you might think about a skid steer. I bought one of those about 1.5 years ago when I moved in here. I have .4 of a mile of lane to plow in the winter, so that is what I bought to plow with. It works great for plowing (I just use the 6' wide bucket) digging and moving dirt and it is a great firewooding tool....lifting up logs, pulling trees out of other trees when they get hung up...I just can't say enough good things about it. Wanda and I call it the world's most expensive wheelbarrow !!!!!!! However, the drawback is with the skid steer is that it doesn't have much ground clearance. I have 18.5 acres of mountain land with lots of rocks and when I need to go in after a dead standing tree to cut, unless it's close, I generally can't get to it!!!! Then it is cut the tree down and hump the wood over to as close as I could get the skid steer and put the wood in the bucket.....not ideal !!!!!! That is why I just bought the 4-wheel drive tractor....I'm not getting any younger and every little bit of doing things easier helps !!!! I'm hoping I will be able to get just about everywhere on my property with the tractor. If this is the type of things that you will be doing, then I suggest a 4-wheel drive tractor. I also wouldn't go with less than 30-35 HP. You are correct in the fact that tractors right now pricey and are at an all time high for used tractor prices......I just read that in a farm magazine !!!! It just figures since I never needed a tractor in my life until now !!!!!! There are few deals around to be had.....just check EBAY and get an idea of what things are selling for. You can get a nice used tractor with low hours all day long in the $15k-18K range, but if you don't want to spend that much, getting something decent for just $3k less is very difficult. Good luck and I hope I have been of some help !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Last edited:
For mountain land a crawler loader will get a lot more done and is much safer. Skid steer/4 WD is better than by hand, but a crawler is much safer/better. A small 4 WD loader can lift 600-1,000 lbs. My crawler can lift 8,000 lbs in the 4 in1 bucket and 1500 lbs with the hoe. I can pick up a 3' diameter log with the loader. And people think that CAD is expensive.

I do have a skid steer, ground clearance is an issue that comes up quite a bit, as well as its weight and none turf friendly motion as I noted before. I have had to pass up some choice scrounges due to being unable get it out to the transport. I am not a spring chicken any more and bucking stuff up and then humping it 100 yards out to the transport does not sit well. As was just noted prices on used are up there. example JD400 with fel , tiller, and deck $5k ( problem here is pto's are high speed and do not work with standard 3 point) Just got to keep looking and thanks all for the input. Every unit has its quirks so I am just trying to stay away from a money pit, repair wise.

Latest posts

Back