Compression Tester - Anyone tried the Harbor Freight Units?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaludaRiver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Compression Test Kit

Has anyone this or any of their devices? I would prefer to order from AS sponsors,
but there is a HFT store here in town and I could look this over before I bought.

Worried that the hose is too long, though.

Thanks.

I have had one for 1 year. Used it about 20 times. Seems to work fine. Sometimes when I try to remove or un-screw the tube from the the plug hole it twists and can be a b$#6* to get out. Needs a nut on the end? No big deal. Good deal for the money.

Many folks on this site use the Actron unit from either...
Advance Auto or Auto Zone...part # CP7827

Has Schrader valve at end of hose...and is replaceable...

$25.99
:cheers:
J2F

I went looking for my Craftsman at Sears.com, they don't sell it anymore.
Has a coupler in it, compatible with Snap-On hoses, came with one 14/18mm hose for $25 about 25 years ago.

The replacement for it is this, currently on sale for $55:
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

If it's the same quality as my 1980s version it would be a very nice buy if they put it on sale for $40 some day.

I have had one for 1 year. Used it about 20 times. Seems to work fine. Sometimes when I try to remove or un-screw the tube from the the plug hole it twists and can be a b$#6* to get out. Needs a nut on the end? No big deal. Good deal for the money.

Same experience here - readings were accurate enough, but the hose wasn't securely attached to the fitting that goes into the plug hole. After a few times having to reach for pliers to loosen it for removal, that tester went into the backup box.

I've got a US General that has treated me pretty well for a couple of years now. The only failure it has had was because the Schrader valve had come loose. Tightened it up & all was good. I paid about $12 for it if I recall correctly.

Ma

I have the Craftsman set shown and have been very happy with it. A++++would buy again! :)

I have the one from Advance Auto and it works fine.

Advanced Auto Brand

IMG_20110614_134124.jpg

Back