Considering Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, 2 posts and she really derailed this thread!!

Read this thread
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=45735 it's real good and not just cause it was started by me. I am aloft and doing pretty good with it.

:agree2: I just skimmed it, but it is on my growing list of threads to read in depth. I am not new at climbing but I am ALWAYS eager to learn new techniques to make me better/faster/safer.

Can someone please recommend some learning materials. Safety first.

Let us know what you decided on.

Good luck and be safe!

Fred

I found ArborMaster Training's 2 day climbing skills module is the best way to get a newbie introduced to tree climbing. Just bring yourself and about $500 and they will supply all the equipment you will need to learn to climb with. The first thing you will learn and hands on is to install a friction saver in the upper parts of the tree,install your climbing line and setting up your saddle.Whether you decide to use a blakes or distel hitch [for example] you will then be taught how to footlock,etc,etc.
Also check out www.arborcanada.com they used to be ArborMaster Training Canada. They can teach all you ever will need to know.

I would like to learn how to climb.
Can someone please recommend some learning materials. Safety first.

Thanks for any replys

I didn't't catch where you were from in the NE, but there is a great basic school in Akron, OH put on by ACRT..I went to it myself back in Feb, it was 5 days long, about $750 bucks I think..the instructor was awesome..his name as Shawn..they teach you everything you can imagine about double rope technique..prussiks..a little rigging..chain saw safety..all kinds of stuff..the instructors are willing to kinda tailor the class to what you personally are looking to learn..there is alot of actual practical application they show you.. and let you do on your own..there were guys in my class from WI to upstate NY..Hope that may have helped!

SEMPER FI!

There's a bunch of great boot manufactures out there that tailor specifically towards climbing/linesman work. Some of them are Wesco boots out of Ca., Hoffman, White, and Redwing, all made in the USA. Wesco and White are custom made and are very pricey..over $300, but they are built to LAST..I personally like a boot that's a least 10" in height, and as mentioned already, a very aggressive vibram sole for those slippery species and rainy days, a steel toe, and a high heal that work alot better with climbing spurs when you need to do removals. I just actually bought a pair of Red Wings today that are the style #4417 that I intend on using for climbing/tree work. I'll let ya know how they work out later when I break em in..

SEMPER FI!

Have been wearing high heel linesmen steel toe boots [Gorilla brand] with my spurs. And flat white sole ironworker boots for footlocking . The soft soled ironworker boots are nice for limb walking, good grip and don't hurt the bark if your just pruning.

Latest posts

Back